News Article: Friedman: Shanahan's Coach Not (Currently) Available

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Are you suggesting that since the Leafs are gifted offensively but a black hole defensively that Carlyle needs to play a system more like Ron Wilson pond hockey instead of a defensive system because of the current players preferred style? . That is what my impression was based on what you posted originally.

It appears from Carlyle's comments recently he wants more blocked shots by everyone, more diligent backchecking, and taking a hit to make a play to clear the zone is trying to get his team to defend better, and cut down on scoring changes against. It seems Carlyle is saying the right things that convinced Shanny to extend him and he will get his players to be more accountable away from the puck to get better results with this roster.

Shanahan's comments (posted above) about giving up too many shots against and by extension too many goals against is a sign of a problem and that players and the coach looking in the mirror to tighten up defensively.

I think Randy needs to drop the "swarm" style defense and go for a more traditional, proven style. New assistants will help in this regard.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Sounds like a possible theory. I hope they have told Caryle that he needs to accept direction from management/ assistants on roster and style of play.

The third and fourth line need to be scappy/ skilled guys who provide depth. Look at Montreal with their 4th line and how successful that has been for them so far in the play offs.

Its time for players like Ashton, and D'Amigo to graduate and have a regular shift on the 4th line. A line around those guys and maybe Komarov/ Mcclement would be great.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Just to expand on what exactly was said regarding Carlyle and systems:

LOL Wow this team baffles me more and more..so apparently Randy and co. randomly decided with 5 games left...guys this isn't working let's go back to traditional defensive zone coverage. I need a face palm emoticon...that is the dumbest thing I've ever read. A little late to start switching things up with 5 games left. Man this franchise is a freaking mess. I just don't know what happened this year but it seems like nobody was on the same page.

That whole "swarm" system can go in the trash, I have no idea what that was about but it clearly didn't work.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
They basically admitted that the players werent listening to Carlyle and didn't like his system(rightfully so it really doesnt work)

But they waited until the last 5 games to change it? Clearly it wasnt working at like game 30, why not change it then!!

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
The belief as I have understood it is that the conditions on Carlyle staying are that he change his system to fit the type of player he has to work with. Its also believed that his hand will be forced in the way of roster moves to look more favourably on kids with skill (IE Orr may be moved/waived etc)

If these things happen and the team improves, good. If not, he gets the can next summer.

I find it shocking that one even has to point out something this obvious to a head coach.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
People get a little wound up over extensions and I don't get it. Carlyse got a two year extension with the 2nd being a team option. Technically it's a one year extension. You just can't hire assistants when you only have one year left on your contract. No one wants to have to move their family twice in two years. Pretty standard in my opinion.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Draft day should come soon, so that we don't need to discuss the same articles every week.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
If Shanny wants Carlyle to play the kids (Marlies) in prime development roles then you can't have a lame duck coach in a position to try and save his own job on an expiring contract..

If you extend the coach with the understanding that those are the expectations win or lose and the coach has a contract for the following year then shortsighted Win Now decision can be avoided.

I anticipate that Shanny plans on moving out small, soft weak defensive players and replace them with bigger , more physical players, turning the Leafs from a rush team to a puck possession team. Shanny isn't trying to get ultimate results with this roster now. So its not about RC being right for this team as it stands now.. We're talking new coach down the road when the roster is improved.

How do you figure this?

Chicago is by no means a large or physical team, and they play a puck possession style JUST FINE. And since when is having rush threats on the team a bad thing?

You really don't believe that silly myth that all puck possession teams have to be big and physical, do you?

And you should really acknowledge the horrible defensive system we play.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Why is it that so many posters on this board completely ignore the terrible defensive system we play?

When I hear "our players are so bad defensively and that's our problem, not Carlyle," it makes me want to freaking nuts :shakehead

News flash: WE JUST SET A NEW NHL RECORD FOR SHOTS AGAINST IN A SEASON. There have been some horrid defensive teams in this era, and the Leafs are nowhere near as bad as some of the worst teams, yet we LOOK AS BAD. We are a bad defensive team yes, BUT COACHING IS ****ING PART OF THE PROBLEM TOO, STOP IGNORING THAT. The only reason I think people disagree is just to "go against the grain" for some odd reason.

Management also refuses to acknowledge how we led NHL history in shots against. Is that how a successful team operates? Ignoring what they don't want to hear?

Kyle Doobas*

If we drop the idiotic swarm defense, we're in business even without a roster shake-up.

....although we should still shake up the roster.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Shanahan was quoted as saying he wanted "Bolland back"?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/14/shanny-wants-bolland-back-on-the-leafs

Shanahan echoed those sentiments when specifically asked about Bolland during a meeting with a gaggle of hockey scribes at the Toronto Sun offices on Wednesday afternoon.

“I’d like to get him signed,†Shanahan said. “He’s the type of player I like, the type of player we need.

“This is a guy we want to have back. Dave (Leafs GM Nonis) knows I want him back. But any time you are a UFA, there are other factors involved.

“He’s got to want to play for us, as well.â€

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
If we drop the idiotic swarm defense, we're in business.

Gotta love it eh.

How many times did people see this: Leafs getting hemmed in their own zone, try to clear the zone down the boards, intercepted at the blueline (you don't pressure the points in Carlyle's system!) team keeps posession for even more time, Leafs finally win another battle down low, try to clear, INTERCEPTED once again, opposing team STILL has posession, more and more "low quality chances" :)sarcasm:) fired on Bernier and our defensive group is dead tired because we can't get a change, opposing team still has possession, AND THEY SCORE! In carlyle's system, there's no way in hell you try and skate it out of the zone or pressure the point or the half-wall, YOU STAY IN YOUR SHOT-BLOCKING SWARM BOX NO MATTER WHAT.

Still can't believe this moron never got held accountable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not really. A lot of coaches will steadfastly play their system no matter which personnel they have.

You can't have the inmates running the asylum and dictating the way the team will play.. It has to players shipping up and playing the coaches system or being shipped out. IMO

If that were the case every NHL would be like an All-star game.. No hitting, no backchecking offense only all the time.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
It's insane to think the Leafs are just wasting away a year or more of Carlyle, or another coach, just to wait for a coach that is currently employed. It makes no sense.

I can't imagine a respected executive thinking this way. If Shanahan is waiting for one guy to be his coach, then I seriously really question his hockey IQ.

If Carlyle isn't the right coach, get rid of him and search for that coach that will be the right one. Was Babcock not an up and coming coach at one point? Was Boudreau not toileting in the AHL for ever until a team thought he should get a chance, and now he's regarded as one of the best.

I can't seriously think Shanahan is thinking this way.

There are plenty of candidates out there that could be upgrades. Don't be lazy and do your job. They extended Carlyle, fine, but this better not be some sort of ploy to wait for a specific coach. You extended Carlyle because you think he's a good coach... and leave it at that. Don't let a coach annihilate players or fans just because this one coach may become available. **** that.

Brilliant post :handclap:

This has more to do with Shanny not wanting to use up his only coaching change card. Instead we sit here waiting for years until the right coach becomes available. :facepalm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You can't have the inmates running the asylum and dictating the way the team will play.. It has to players shipping up and playing the coaches system or being shipped out. IMO

If that were the case every NHL would be like an All-star game.. No hitting, no backchecking offense only all the time.

Sometimes even in war and in a life and death situation where a commander has lost the plot, rather than parish because the foolish commander. The soldiers ignore orders and fall on their sword anyways...but damn did it feel good to be free...if only they organized from within how they would fight together instead of acting as individuals. They maybe stood a chance.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sometimes even in war and in a life and death situation where a commander has lost the plot, rather than parish because the foolish commander. The soldiers ignore orders and fall on their sword anyways...but damn did it feel good to be free...if only they organized from within how they would fight together instead of acting as individuals. They maybe stood a chance.

Or maybe the commander needs to get rid of more Grabo's or Macarthur's, 2 very replacable soldiers, and build it with new soldiers that want to play the system for a coach that has won a cup before only 8 short years ago.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Or maybe the commander needs to get rid of more Grabo's or Macarthur's, 2 very replacable soldiers, and build it with new soldiers that want to play the system for a coach that has won a cup before only 8 short years ago.

I think both Shanny and Nonis made it very clear that the system currently in place is garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad