Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As goalie coach/part time goalie? ;) All kidding aside, he looks to be doing quality work there.
If I am in Leafs MGT, I would make him the highest goalie coach in the league. Pay him double the amount he is receiving.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
After all, there's no cap in that situation, right?
I think so but pretty sure other teams will complain to the league and say they can’t pay for coaches and ask to hire these coaches collectively as a league and just pay for online learning lessons.

Reactions: Buds17

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
View attachment 360064
View attachment 360065

Initially reaction I am expecting is the offense isn't really there but I just saw CBJ grind us the hell down. That group of defense looks much better. Lots of grit and some picks to get some cheap young talent for years to come. I see Miles Wood as a bit similar to Hyman, at age 24 Hyman put up 28 pts with Matthews. Wood is stronger, faster and grittier. He can create space.

JT line is going to grind for goals, probably the line I am least sure about in terms of the talent. JT has done more with less though.

3rd line I love 2/3 of the known commodities in Laughton and Virtanen.

4th line reunites from the playoffs, if it doesn't work around, Adam Brooks is an option.

Leafs top 4 is probably the best I have seen in my life with this group and Holl is probably better slotted as a 3rd pairing guy.

RIP AWAY :)

I would hate to trade with Buffalo. I really like the Laughton trade. The Virtanen for Dermott trade has potential to really hurt down the line. Virtanen is not that good at all.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Probably not. Perhaps he's just going off of the ex-greyhound thing.

But yeah, I'm still hung up on the idea of "team doesn't score enough, so trade the goalie" idea, but anyway...

Getting a better defence and goaltender can lead to more goals from the forwards.
Forwards can't "get creative" if every time they do, it ends up in the net.
It makes them play too conservatively. Systems have to be played too strictly, or the defence gets exposed.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone think Parayko will get moved to make room for Pietrangelo?

Unfortunately, it won't be to Toronto because it'll be a cap clearing move.

It'll probably look like Parayko + Steen to Carolina for 13th OVA + another pick/prospect.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

It'll probably look like Parayko + Steen to Carolina for 13th OVA + another pick/prospect.
Doubt Carolina is looking for a D.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I think SLB will either trade Faulk or if they fail to do so simply buy him out.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Before getting a goalie, Leafs need to sign BJs goalie coach. That’s someone who should help the Leafs

The goalie coach didn't turn Merzlikins into a great goalie. He was in Switzerland until this year. Merzlikins and Korpisalo look like great goalies because they played behind a great defensive hockey team with a great system.

The Leafs' shouldn't be looking for magic beans. They should be looking to put the type of team together that will buy in and put in the effort that Columbus.

Remember how hard Toronto tried to keep the puck out of their own empty net on the night of their comback? Columbus did that all series.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I do not think the Leafs are considering trading Andersen based on the last series alone. It will be the culmination of his entire body of work and combined with how they feel about their chances of keeping him long term (i.e. deciding to look at someone who could be around for more than one year). They can't officially sign an extension yet, but I believe the Leafs can still talk to Andersen about signing a new deal right now.

If they want to make a change with the core, he is the one with the least long term implications I would say.

No, of course. But if they actually review his tenure here, they'll find he's been quite good. Save for 17\18 playoffs and this regular season season where he was average. Also not to mention some of the issues coinciding with some of those years - namely the defence.

It's the easy move. Also, the long term implications also depends on who you're getting back in a supposed trade with one of the others. It could also be said that the long implications of the goaltender may not be of concern to some of the current people there anyway (if there's another early exit). After spending the better part of two seasons looking for a back-up goalie dropping however many points and likely contributing to a coaching change due to he amount back to backs they couldn't win earlier in season, do they really want to mess with the starter now? There's an all-star caliber goalie there and they're going change him to save $1.5m-$2m? To me I think they can save in other areas.

Again, if the team would've scored more (which is it's supposed strength) we wouldn't be talking about this really.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yikes that buyout would be hideous. His contract is 7 years long and is starting next season. They'd be paying Faulks buyout until 2033-2034 lool.

It is a contract that is a very good contract for buying out. Yes, they would be paying for it for a long time, but most of that is when the cap will have gone up. During the important years - the next couple - it would actually give a negative cap hit - and that is the Blues main window.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
They just signed him. I think they like him.

They signed him last September. If you are a team that is not willing to reassess everything after covid then you are in trouble. If Pietro decides to sign somewhere else then the Blues already have his replacement in Faulk. If Pietro decides to sign with the Blues then Faulk is gone one way or the other.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
One can't help but recall McKenzies pretty odd direct linking of Pietro to the Leafs few months ago.

Not that I would suggest he's coming here any time soon but looks like he could at least be looking to test free agency sort of like Stamkos did a few years ago

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Getting a better defence and goaltender can lead to more goals from the forwards.
Forwards can't "get creative" if every time they do, it ends up in the net.
It makes them play too conservatively. Systems have to be played too strictly, or the defence gets exposed.

Really? In some cases I may agree, not with this group.

The other lines didn't go cold because of that. They got cold because often they got predictable and didn't go to certain areas to score.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn’t be surprised to see STL pay a pick or prospect to have Seattle take Faulk in the expansion draft. Francis already has a connection with Faulk. STL just has to figure out the cap next year and they have some options there I think.

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Unless they win another Cup I am pretty sure they will have no interest in resigning Pietro. Even if they do win the cost plus his age might mean they move on. Plus Stl won't trade Parayko for a pick. Their window is now so he goes for immediate help.

I don't believe they would try to move Faulk without another season to recover his game. Coming off a career worst season he is nearly untradeable in the current cap environment unless they throw a 1st to Seattle to take him in the X draft but he also has a NTC so its back to Pietro unless they percieve him to be way more important than Parayko.

Reactions: aingefan

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dont think Pietrangelo was ever realistic, definitely isnt now that the cap isnt going up.

The Leafs can be fine if they add a couple competent dmen in that top 4.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dont think Pietrangelo was ever realistic, definitely isnt now that the cap isnt going up.

The Leafs can be fine if they add a couple competent dmen in that top 4.

Which is what I think they'll do - either via free agency or trade aim for a minute munching safe guy for that right side instead of a clear top pairing guy (since they're very hard to acquire)

Reactions: Kiwi

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would hate to trade with Buffalo. I really like the Laughton trade. The Virtanen for Dermott trade has potential to really hurt down the line. Virtanen is not that good at all.

8th overall gets us hopefully a piece for down the road, Joker could fit into the top 4 for us sooner rather than later.

Virtanen is a good 3rd line winger that is meaner than Kapanen, actually good defensive metrics too.

Rielly-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Joker.

You haven't seen a better top 4 in 15-20 years :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark