GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tampa is about even. Gaining McD and Guentzel, losing Stamkos and Sergachev. I think they’re better defensively now.
Boston got way better. Ullmark is a product of that system.

It’s not just about our division though.
NJD got better.
Washington got better.
Carolina is about the same.
Rangers are about the same.
NYI is about the same.
Columbus got marginally better.

The west got stronger. That will swipe points away from Detroit as well.
Typical offseason delusion syndrome. Carolina for example has had one of the league’s worst offseasons and you say they’re about the same? Crazy.
But if you don’t like Ullmark then Ottawa definitely got worse, so that’s one team that will be less competitive. It’s also not just Detroit that the west will take points from.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also if Boston gets better, who cares?

That doesn't affect on Red Wings in the standings. They were projected to be better anyways. A playoff lock.

If we talk about the chances for the playoffs, it's a comparison for those teams who were close on us.

Only Eastern team who was behind us, I see getting better than Detroit at next season, is New Jersey.

NY Islanders could very well fall, they are getting old. Same with Tampa, some moves, but getting older. One key injury away from Tampa not having puck-moving defencemen except Hedman, that's alarming signal.

Washington is also a team in jeopardy. Think their last season was outlier, sinking ship already like Pittsburgh, but were able to win miraculous amount of 1-goal games.

Carolina, maybe still too good team to make a big fall, but New Jersey went down from 112p season to 81p season, 30-point fall, so everything can happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: DamonDRW

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Vladimir Tarasenko – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Alex DeBrincat – J.T. Compher – Patrick Kane
Michael Rasmussen – (A) Andrew Copp – Jonatan Berggren
Christian Fischer
Joe Veleno Carter Mazur

* Tyler Motte

Erik Gustafsson
Mortiz Seider
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry
Simon Edvinsson – Albert Johansson

* Ollie Maata
* Justin Holl

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon
Villie Husso *LTIR.

* Does this make sense for the roster? Idk if Tarasenko will get top minutes but this is what the roster seems to be shaping out as right now after signing our own RFA's. Big arguments for Johansson's ice time and Mazur. There looks to be a bunch of time still to figure something out with Husso/Maata/Holl and even add another talent once they're moved those guys or just one or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: evolutionbaby

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Christian Fischer
Joe Veleno Carter Mazur

* Tyler Motte

Erik Gustafsson
Mortiz Seider

* Ollie Maata
* Justin Holl

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon
Villie Husso *LTIR.

* Does this make sense for the roster? Idk if Tarasenko will get top minutes but this is what the roster seems to be shaping out as right now after signing our own RFA's. Big arguments for Johansson's ice time and Mazur. There looks to be a bunch of time still to figure something out with Husso/Maata/Holl and even add another talent once they're moved those guys or just one or whatever.
I think Erik Gustafsson is destined for Ghost's 3rd pair + PP role. He'll get absolutely annihilated on the top line.

I'd expect
Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson- AlJo

To be honest, we need to figure out how to swap Chiarot and Petry for two top 4 D if we want to have a halfway decent defense. I doubt that happens so this is about what I expect. Poor Seider is going to end up carrying the defense all by himself again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Should next move be damaged goods for damaged goods?

Laine <> Husso + Määttä/Holl (Columbus can make the pick)

This should be a fit with out cap (even with Seider/Raymond/Veleno/Berggren RFA-extensions).

8.7M coming in and at least 7.5M going out.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Erik Gustafsson is destined for Ghost's 3rd pair + PP role. He'll get absolutely annihilated on the top line.

I'd expect
Chiarot-Seider
Edvinsson-Petry
Gustafsson- AlJo

To be honest, we need to figure out how to swap Chiarot and Petry for two top 4 D if we want to have a halfway decent defense. I doubt that happens so this is about what I expect. Poor Seider is going to end up carrying the defense all by himself again.
Ultra critical is a 2RD. I'm game to rotate Maatta, Gus, Ed, and AlJo with Mo until we find a fit. We know Chiarot doesn't, but likely that won't stop Lalonde from making that mistake for the third season in a row.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Christian Fischer
Joe Veleno Carter Mazur

* Tyler Motte

Erik Gustafsson
Mortiz Seider

* Ollie Maata
* Justin Holl

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon
Villie Husso *LTIR.

I think we'll see Raymond playing LW. He's solid on the left side on the PP, so I think they'll play him on his off wing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Should next move be damaged goods for damaged goods?

Laine <> Husso + Määttä/Holl (Columbus can make the pick)

This should be a fit with out cap (even with Seider/Raymond/Veleno/Berggren RFA-extensions).

8.7M coming in and at least 7.5M going out.
No! Bad Henkka!

Much like many guys you want to play center aren't centers, we aren't going to stack Ray, Kane, Laine, Tarasenko down the right side, because we already know they aren't left wings.

Reactions: DoMakc

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
That defense is still brutal with only one real top 4 D, and 2 potential with Ed and Johansson but that's not a guarantee. Seeing Chiarot anywhere near Seider makes me shiver. Maybe they believe Ed and Jo will both end up being top 4 Ds after a few games? That's certainly possible.

I think Johansson can be a Walman replacement at 5v5, but we’ll see if Fester puts a vet there instead.

Edvinsson-Seider may become our Werenski-Jones pairing as well. But I’d rather keep them apart because our D is thin.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That defense is still brutal with only one real top 4 D, and 2 potential with Ed and Johansson but that's not a guarantee. Seeing Chiarot anywhere near Seider makes me shiver. Maybe they believe Ed and Jo will both end up being top 4 Ds after a few games? That's certainly possible.
Chiarot, Maatta, Gus are passable #4s. They just can't be the carry on that pairing.

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hell if I know, but there’s a reason he hasn’t done his presser yet.

Probably Yzerman calling all other 31 GMs through, and asking about a RhD scenario.

If something is possible to complete, they will complete.

If there's nothing reasonable on the table, then it's a presser time.

We'll see if there are some August trades, like Karlsson/Petry were done later on the off-season.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
There's an obvious hole at 2RD. Fill that with a decent vet, whether strictly defensive or two-way, and things will look a lot better. People are underestimating how much better Chiarot was in his second go-round with Seider. Seider's partner is not really that important at least in the short term, his most productive season was with his worst partner, DDK. It's more important IMO to have a good second pair that can take on some of his huge D responsibility. No defenseman in the league with close to his level of D workload outscored him last season.

One name that hasn't come up AFAIK as a RD trade target, probably because there is no chance of it happening, is Adam Larsson. Would make a lot of sense even if he's one of the most unexciting defensemen in the league. He's a consistent 20-minute-plus guy, solid defensively, 31yo and going into the last year of his contract at $4M. He probably won't get more than that on his next deal and I could see him being worth keeping another three years. Swedish connection with Ed and steady enough to be a good vet mentor, encourage Ed to push up ice. It's hard to know what exactly Seattle is doing, but they could use a vet D to replace Larsson, whose ice time might drop anyway with Montour there now, and any number of young forwards or D and draft picks.

So, Maatta and Veleno for Larsson. Maybe something else from Detroit, a B defense prospect and/or mid-round draft pick. Cap in, $4M; Cap out dependent on what Veleno gets, but total probably in neighbourhood of $5.5M+.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What is the actual trade market for RD? And don’t say Ekblad or Trouba. Who else is a viable top 4 option?

ANA - nobody, their best RD is Radgo Gudas
CGY - MacKenzie Weegar NTC, Rasmus Andersson m-NTC
EDM - Cody Ceci
LAK - none (Doughty m-NTC)
SJS - none
SEA - Adam Larsson m-NTC
VAN - none, just re-signed all RhDs Hronek, Myers, Desharnais
VGK - Pietrangelo NMC

CHI - Seth Jones NMC, Connor Murphy m-NTC
COL - Josh Manson m-NTC
DAL - none, just signed their new guys
MIN - none, could need extra
NSH - Carrier, Schenn, Fabbro (don't know is there a deal)
STL - Justin Faulk NTC, Colton Parayko NTC
UTA - Durzi, Marino, they did just extend them
WPG - Pionk m-NTC, DeMelo, not sure are they any upgrades

CAR - Burns m-NTC, just signed Walker and Chatfield.
CBJ - Severson, Gudbranson (first one has horrible contract and second one is just horrible)
NJD - Hamilton NMC, just got Pesce NTC
NYI - Pulock NTC
NYR - Trouba m-NTC, Fox... why not.... ;)
PHI - none, only kids
PIT - Karlsson NMC, Letang NMC
WSH - Carlson m-NTC, just signed Matt Roy, T. vsn Riemsdyk / Bear not good enough

BOS - McAvoy NMC, Carlo m-NTC
BUF - none
DET - ( ____ )
FLO - Ekblad m-NTC
MTL - David Savard
OTT - probably none, just got their righties somewhat fixed
TBL - Cernak NTC
TOR - hoarded RD like mad, Tanev, Liljegren, Hakanpää, Timmins - no answers for Red Wings needs.

Imo, I would say the market is something between Cody Ceci and David Savard.

But most interesting guys would be Justin Faulk and Adam Larsson. Those are really experienced 32-year-old vets, but not as old like Brent Burns.

Can't imagine better guy alongside swede LhD than Adam Larsson.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I agree with @OgeeOgelthorpe , I think if we don't end up grabbing a LHD like Theodore, that Johansson could surprise us as Seider's partner. I think there is probably some concern/risk about trusting a rookie to withstand that kind of use and why you would have guys like Gus and Chiarot as fallback options or in a timeshare with him - but I wouldn't be surprised after it's all said and done that in Nov, we see Johansson there.

As for defenseman? - Ekbald (maybe not anymore since FLA doesn't seem so hard up on cap), and Trouba (maybe not anymore as the benefit was to have cap space for FA and NY lost their chance).

RHD Top 4 D that are better than what we have right now and available? mmm..probably a short list

Krug or Faulk - though I wouldn't say either are considerably better than was we left in Ghost?

Otherwise I think you have to look at teams that have an abundance of D who are also hurting in cap (LV, TOR, WAS, VAN, EDM, etc.)

Theodore from LV is still a luxury there and he's been on the block for a bit; but that's a LHD. I highly doubt Pietrangelo is waiving or we want to be eating that contract

Bouchard is due for a big time raise as well as Draisaitl and McDavid coming down the pipe; maybe that makes someone on their blue line redundant?

COL still remains a bit of a curious case given how messed up their cap is and how overcommitted they are to their stars leaving maybe someone like Josh Manson available? who would be a big, strong, physical stay at home RHD (just pure speculation) but given few players they have signed, and how much cap is already used, COL probably has to do something?

I consider the floor - absolute basement - would be like getting Trevor Van Riemsdyk from WAS and that would need to be a real sweetheart deal in both directions where they are taking Husso back or something; like real hockey trade.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Edvinsson, Seider, Gustafsson, Petry, Holl, Maatta, Johansson, Chiarot is 8 defensemen. Someone has to go unless they’re going to lose Johansson to waivers or shove Ed back in the minors.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
* Does this make sense for the roster?
Yes and no, i like the idea of Tarasenko and Raymond being in the same line. But since Kane has been training like an animal this summer, i'd try Cat and Kane with Larkin. And Tarasenko & Ray with Compher, then switch if it doesn't work. 3rd line is a good idea but maybe give Veleno one last chance there with Berggren and Ras. Motte-Copp-Fischer sounds ideal shut down line and this brings us to the part what doesn't make sense.

No way Motte is a 13F, top PK players in the league, he is going to be in the line up and Mazur starts in GR. If someone is a 13F next season, it is Veleno. Second thing what doesn't make sense, is that 3rd pair. I don't see Lalonde placing 2 rookies in the same pair. Chiarot-Seider, Ed-Petry, Gus-AlJo pairs makes the D more balanced BUT i believe there will be trade, so the defense is not set in stone yet. Let's wait what happens in that department.

Edvinsson, Seider, Gustafsson, Petry, Holl, Maatta, Johansson, Chiarot is 8 defensemen. Someone has to go unless they’re going to lose Johansson to waivers or shove Ed back in the minors.
Unless they go with 11F & 7 D and no trades happen.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I think we will carry 8 total, but you're right, they are in "1 in 1 out" situation now. We need to add a D and it will need to have a corresponding trade to send a D out as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad