GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They can yes if no leg work previously done...though I doubt that's the case...I suspect they've called around and had talks with every GM of dmen they'd like

I'm not going to stress about it until October and they are on the ice. It's summer in the Midwest. I'm soaking this shit up and letting the hockey people worry about hockey stuff.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Our forward group is definitely not as strong.

Unless SY is infusing guys like Kaspar and Danielson and they make up for the lost scoring from Perron, Sprong, Ghost, etc.

I genuinely don’t see Berggren doing anything. This illusion he’s Nyquist 2.0 is crazy.

But I guess no one expected missing out last year by a stupid f***ing point, so we’ll see what happens.
Hudler 2.0 with better wheels.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
They can yes if no leg work previously done...though I doubt that's the case...I suspect they've called around and had talks with every GM of dmen they'd like
We need to get one top 4 , but for now we have too many of d. Yzerman should take time to evaluate before getting one and trade away bunch

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’d be very surprised if he breaks 80 points.

He came back midseason, from a surgery some people doubted he'd even make a comeback, on a brand new team that was slumping like mad for much of it and was 0.94 PPG.

If he's feeling good and plays 80 games, he's getting 80 points. He's that good and it was pretty obvious watching the games last year he's far from done.

But I know trying to boost your outlook about something is like watching the waves crash against the rocks. Your rocky exterior will only concede to the waves of good vibes after most of us are long dead. RIP Wade Boggs.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah. Just shuffling them around can make it slightly better.

DBC - Larkin - Kane (if DBC and Kane are together, they have to be with Larkin)
Berggren - Compher - Ray (Make or break for Burgers, IMO this can make him)
Ras - Copp - Fabbri/Fabbri (If you think this is meh, don't look down 1 line)
Motte - Veleno - Fabbri/Fischer (avert your eyes...)

Maatta - Mo (steady Eddie for Mo)
Ed - Gustafsson (Petry doesn't have the mobility for pairing 2)
Chiarot - Petry (dreaming, I know...)
AlJo rotated in regularly for anyone not Mo or Ed.

Maybe swap Gus and Chiarot, Iunno... we desperately need a 2RD.

Talbot
Lyon
Husso

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it but putting Berggren in the top6 just feels like a why not? thing at this point. I don't like him anywhere else in this lineup. The forward that really just sticks out to me, though, is Fabbri. I'd like that line so much more with damn near any other kid next to Ras and Copp.

I actually don't mind the fourth line, at least it has a clear purpose this year instead of just being the repository for misfit toys.

And agree about needing the rd. If Albert looks good in camp, I'd be tempted just to put him with Mo to start the year and see if they can run with it.

At least Talbot looks like a clear upgrade in goal. If he can give us 40 games of steady career average hockey it would be a massive win for us.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’d really like Kasper to win a spot in the top 6 if we don’t add anyone. He’d be a much better fit than Berggren or Fabbri.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not going to stress about it until October and they are on the ice. It's summer in the Midwest. I'm soaking this shit up and letting the hockey people worry about hockey stuff.

This is probably the healthiest approach. While it was unlikely I was hoping for a bit more roster movement, though. At least moving out some dead weight and just going with kids to a larger degree (and not crazy larger, I just mean one or two more spots clearly up for grabs for them).

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Buffalo did nothing, but have way more young players than Detroit that should improve: Benson, Quinn, JJ Peterka, Byram, Power, Levi... plus Savoie, Kulich, and others that might make the roster. That team has a ridiculous embarrassment of top end young talent, I wouldn't count them out.

Montreal is still going to be bad, I agree.

Ottawa lost Chychrun and Tarasenko, but people are still underselling the massive upgrade in net with Ullmark. At worst they're the same as last year.

Boston got better - they lost Ullmark, but they can just rely more heavily on Swayman to make up for that. They added another top 4D who plays their style of hockey, and a top 6 C.
Lohrei-McAvoy-Lindholm-Carlo-Zadorov is the best top 5 D in the NHL.

Tampa lost Stamkos and Serg, but replaced them with Guentzel and JJ Moser...I think that's a wash at worst, given that Serg was not very good this past year. Moser is highly underrated, and Guentzel is a definite upgrade on Stamkos. I'd say they're equal or slightly better than last year.

Florida is still a top team even if they take a bit of a hit from losing Montour.

Not sure how Toronto got worse... they added 2 D and Bertuzzi did very little for them anyways.

And that's just our division.

We were competing for a spot last year with the Islanders, Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, Buffalo, and I guess you could stretch it to New Jersey. Of those teams, the Penguins definitely got worse and will be shit next year. Otherwise, the Isles added Duclair and should be similarly competitive next year, especially if Sorokin bounces back. Washington added 3 very good players and will be much better. Philly is adding a likely superstar in Michkov. NJ added Pesce and with a healthy roster they are stacked.

I believe Raymond will be a 90-point player next year and Seider will continue to improve. But that's all we have - and it's not enough to compete with the rest of the East.

So glass half empty for us and glass half full for everyone else? Lol

The biggest one I hate for us is Ullmark on the Sens

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At least Talbot looks like a clear upgrade in goal. If he can give us 40 games of steady career average hockey it would be a massive win for us.

Talbot is the only goalie on the roster with a track record of playing an entire season as a starter and holding his own. So that's something.

But Cossa can't come up soon enough. I've lived my entire life without the Wings having a true franchise goalie. Osgood is the closest thing that counts and while I love the guy and think he's underrated, his up and down career with Detroit wasn't exactly what I'm talking about. Sure, we got to see Hasek and Vernon do amazing, but not for long. I had high hopes for Howard after his early start to his career, then Mrazek... so you know, sadness.

I don't even need a Patrick Roy or Brodeur. I'll take a Pekka Rinne, you know? One Vezina sounds cool to me! I just want the Wings to finally get a guy they can plug in net for the next decade and not worry about it. Please just once.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Talbot is the only goalie on the roster with a track record of playing an entire season as a starter and holding his own. So that's something.

But Cossa can't come up soon enough. I've lived my entire life without the Wings having a true franchise goalie. Osgood is the closest thing that counts and while I love the guy and think he's underrated, his up and down career with Detroit wasn't exactly what I'm talking about. Sure, we got to see Hasek and Vernon do amazing, but not for long. I had high hopes for Howard after his early start to his career, then Mrazek... so you know, sadness.

I don't even need a Patrick Roy or Brodeur. I'll take a Pekka Rinne, you know? One Vezina sounds cool to me! I just want the Wings to finally get a guy they can plug in net for the next decade and not worry about it. Please just once.

I'm with you on the Cossa train. I'd love to see us start plugging more kids in and having them run with it and being staples for the next ten years. If Cossa can step into this season and live up to expectations from the start, he would have to be penciled in for Detroit the following season. Wouldn't he?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm with you on the Cossa train. I'd love to see us start plugging more kids in and having them run with it and being staples for the next ten years. If Cossa can step into this season and live up to expectations from the start, he would have to be penciled in for Detroit the following season. Wouldn't he?

Yeah, the typical goalie timeline is Cossa would play a full year as AHL starter this season and (assuming it goes well as it did last year) then he's splitting time in the NHL next year with Talbot. And if that goes well, he's then the 50+ game starter going into 2026 at age 23/24.

Fingers crossed. He looked great in the AHL last year so I'm optimistic.

Reactions: Winger98

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of it but putting Berggren in the top6 just feels like a why not? thing at this point. I don't like him anywhere else in this lineup. The forward that really just sticks out to me, though, is Fabbri. I'd like that line so much more with damn near any other kid next to Ras and Copp.

I actually don't mind the fourth line, at least it has a clear purpose this year instead of just being the repository for misfit toys.

And agree about needing the rd. If Albert looks good in camp, I'd be tempted just to put him with Mo to start the year and see if they can run with it.

Same, dude.

EDIT - Didn't refresh, um... Tarasenko or Burgers there now?

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad