GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scottgaf1

Nov 11, 2020
Always wait for the full offseason to judge where the team is. Lots of ways to build a roster.

My only preference is to avoid 4+ year deals on middling players. I don't mind stop gaps to remain competitive, but paying guys when they arent playing can set a rebuild back a long ways.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
That's not happening.
Yzerman supposedly drop kicked a guy off the team for struggling down the stretch. He won't send a guy back down to GR for more seasoning for the same?

What part of getting time reduced to 15 minutes and going -3 and 0 points in the last 2 games, 2 huge games, really cemented his spot?

Reactions: Konnan511

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman supposedly drop kicked a guy off the team for struggling down the stretch. He won't send a guy back down to GR for more seasoning for the same?

What part of getting time reduced to 15 minutes and going -3 and 0 points in the last 2 games, 2 huge games, really cemented his spot?
Because there is literally nothing else for him to learn in the AHL. If you want him to be an AHLer, stick him in GR. If you want him to be an NHLer he has to play in the NHL.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
If Ed is sent down, that would truly be hilarious.

Chiarot-Seider
Maatta-Petry
Gustafsson-Holl
Johansson

Worst defense in the NHL, and it's not close.

Reactions: DamonDRW

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Because there is literally nothing else for him to learn in the AHL. If you want him to be an AHLer, stick him in GR. If you want him to be an NHLer he has to play in the NHL.
How many times has this exact thing been said about this exact player while he stayed down in GR?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How many times has this exact thing been said about this exact player while he stayed down in GR?
And it hasn't been wrong. Yet people keep being shocked that an AHL all-star hasn't yet calibrated to NHL pace. Ed would be much better with a full NHL season under his belt, but here we are.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
And it hasn't been wrong. Yet people keep being shocked that an AHL all-star hasn't yet calibrated to NHL pace. Ed would be much better with a full NHL season under his belt, but here we are.
Well ok. I brought up the idea that that is what Yzerman might do based on his track record. Not whether or not HFBoards thought it was a good idea

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well ok. I brought up the idea that that is what Yzerman might do based on his track record. Not whether or not HFBoards thought it was a good idea
HFBoards has nothing to do with it.

There is an expectation that people learn from mistakes.

Not that I think Yzerman is dumb, but I'd bet if anyone asked him he'd acknowledge that he's missed opportunities to get key kids into the lineup. He's mentioned missing out due to injury at times, but it's not like we had a gangbuster blue line where someone couldn't sit for a few games to get a kid a look.

And this isn't just about Ed. AlJo more than anyone. At the end of the '22-23 season SY mentioned that AlJo would have been the call up late if healthy. Yet didn't figure out a way to get him in this past season.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Those were tight games when the Wings were trying to sneak into the playoffs. It's not surprising Fester shortened his bench.

Walman is 28 years old with 200+ NHL games under his belt. Ed is 21 years old with 25 games in the NHL. The expectations and potential for growth aren't the same.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
HFBoards has nothing to do with it.

There is an expectation that people learn from mistakes.

Not that I think Yzerman is dumb, but I'd bet if anyone asked him he'd acknowledge that he's missed opportunities to get key kids into the lineup. He's mentioned missing out due to injury at times, but it's not like we had a gangbuster blue line where someone couldn't sit for a few games to get a kid a look.

And this isn't just about Ed. AlJo more than anyone. At the end of the '22-23 season SY mentioned that AlJo would have been the call up late if healthy. Yet didn't figure out a way to get him in this past season.
And this really goes back to my original point. What part of having 7-8 NHL defenseman on the roster, not counting Edvinsson, indicates that he's looking for opportunities to get Edvinsson into the lineup?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
And this really goes back to my original point. What part of having 7-8 NHL defenseman on the roster, not counting Edvinsson, indicates that he's looking for opportunities to get Edvinsson into the lineup?
He drafted him. If he doesn't want to play him, he should trade him for someone he would play while he still has any value. Which right now is a hell of a lot, but a couple more 8-10 game seasons and not so much.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
He learned his lesson this last season, he knows he should have called him up earlier and that it might have led to a playoff birth. Edvinsson is top 4 here gojng forward

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Edvinsson’s got a spot man. Are you making things up just to complain?
I'm not even complaining. I'm just having a discussion about the roster.

Last year, Yzerman thought Ed needed more seasoning time. Honestly I agreed.

I'm not so sure I saw enough at the end of the year that I think has him locked in. It looks like we have a lot of defenseman in the roster. I think we need to take an honest look if Yzerman might keep him down based on his roster construction

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think Edvinsson is in the team.

Walman gave that spot already and was traded away.

Also his difference to Seider is 57 NHL games less at same point of career. I think they can trust him as well as they did for Moritz.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Our strategy going into 24/25. 0 GAA
1000010198.png

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
It is just crazy to me that people have such a long leash for Yzerman simply because he was a legendary player here. If Holland was making these moves (or lack thereof) people would be losing it.

I am judging the guy independent of what he’s done for this city and for Detroit sports. I’m also not going to just assume some 4D chess moves are coming before they actually happen, given that he has made exactly 0 such moves in Detroit since arriving as the GM. Yzerman the player is a legend in my eyes. Yzerman the GM has not been that great apart from solid 1st round drafting, and I am worried about the direction he has for this team. To some people it seems that opinion translates to “I’m freaking out and the sky is falling!!!!”, and I’m not sure why.

I absolutely feel you, it's pretty easy to doubt Yzerman right now. The Walman trade and the lack of UFA aggressiveness makes you question the direction we're headed. His pre-draft presser also left me feeling a lot of doubt

At the same time, I try to acknowledge that we’ve gotten better every single year. We also have a prospect pool that's been rated #1 in the league by multiple outlets - many of those prospects on the cusp of being in Detroit full time

We are one bad contract away from really f***ing our future. Part of that is on Yzerman for deals he's handed out BUT at this point roster and cap flexibility is huge to our future success. I think we're far from done in terms of roster building this summer. Or that's what I'm hoping for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad