GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No...you're inferring that because you intentionally want to...

This thread is about the exact signings during the 2024 NHL free agency.. says it in the title....That means we're openly discussing the deals that were signed using the exact parameters if the deals.

If your opinion is you wouldn't have signed any of them that's great, but that's where the opinions stop
Apart from, you know, the franchises signed with and the cities in which they are located. A little birdy once told me that where you live and who you're working for is pretty key in making a relocation decision.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Then why are you upset? These are just deals in the abstract we are discussing. Nothing else.
I don't think I am upset..on my part their has been, zero hyperbole...zero gas lighting...zero name calling...zero suggestion of ones intellect...

I have spoken to the facts as they are available plain for all to see and have not inferred anything (other then all teams hope for improvement from their youth not just Detroit)

I have not suggested SY should have signed multiple 33 year olds to 7 year x 8m deals.

I have not suggested that summer is over and camp starts tomorrow, just reminded some that the vast majority of impactful NHL transactions happen before July 1st and not after

I have not suggested that SY has multiple trades a brewing, just reminded some that the "rumoured" deals involved teams looking to clear cap to spend in free agency(see above comment on why that makes less sense today)..

I have not suggested our rookies arent good, just reminded some that it's alot to expect them all, or even any, to make huge impacts

I have not suggested our prospects font on paper look promising, just reminded some that no team ever relies or has relied solely on its own prospects, none being selected in the top 3, to build its core and thus free agency is "part" of the solution despite the risks

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Apart from, you know, the franchises signed with and the cities in which they are located. A little birdy once told me that where you live and who you're working for is pretty key in making a relocation decision.
Ok Norrisnick, what are you saying?

Are you talking about Trouba?
Are you suggesting SY has to overpay free agents?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Kind of an underwhelming start to the offseason, but in actuality I think if the team can stay healthy this team makes the playoffs

I think Yzerman's goal is to not commit to hard just yet and kind of eek into the playoffs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Kind of an underwhelming start to the offseason, but in actuality I think if the team can stay healthy this team makes the playoffs

I think Yzerman's goal is to not commit to hard just yet and kind of eek into the playoffs

Agreed. I think it's pretty much the same as it's been since he's been here. Incremental improvements whenever possible.

As the team gets better hopefully a bigger move will present itself to land some top tier talent. But along the way, keep taking baby steps and try and avoid handcuffing the team so they can make big moves when they're available.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ok Norrisnick, what are you saying?

Are you talking about Trouba?
Are you suggesting SY has to overpay free agents?
I'm saying who you work for and where the job is matters.

Like, you wouldn't be able to pay me enough money to work in Texas, Florida, Manitoba, Quebec, likely Ontario. Or to work for a guy like Tortorella.

Others may have completely different opinions and think the opposite. But simple money/time isn't going to be the sole deciding factor.

Reactions: Ricelund

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
We have the cap may as well do Tarasenko 1 year deal. I’d take Nate Schmidt as a 3rd pair league min after getting bought out.

Still would really push a trade for Necas. Berggren and or 2025 1st. I dont know what the deal would look like.

Cat-Larkin-Kane
Tarasenko-Necas-Raymond
Danielson/Kasper-Compher- Fabbri
Rasmussen-Copp-Fischer
Veleno

Ed-Seider(Don’t care, run them together)
Gus-Chiarot
Schmidt-Petry/Mattaa

Talbot/Husso

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'm not sure I trust Lindholm to be a #1 in any sense of the word. We give Larkin crap, but Lindholm outside of one season screams 2C at best, imo. After he was dealt to Vancouver last year, there was talk of them flipping him at the deadline for different help.

1C between 2 elite wingers in Marchand and Pastrnak.

Lindholm in Boston scoring less than 70 points would shock me.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't think I am upset..on my part their has been, zero hyperbole...zero gas lighting...zero name calling...zero suggestion of ones intellect...

I have spoken to the facts as they are available plain for all to see and have not inferred anything (other then all teams hope for improvement from their youth not just Detroit)

I have not suggested SY should have signed multiple 33 year olds to 7 year x 8m deals.

I have not suggested that summer is over and camp starts tomorrow, just reminded some that the vast majority of impactful NHL transactions happen before July 1st and not after

I have not suggested that SY has multiple trades a brewing, just reminded some that the "rumoured" deals involved teams looking to clear cap to spend in free agency(see above comment on why that makes less sense today)..

I have not suggested our rookies arent good, just reminded some that it's alot to expect them all, or even any, to make huge impacts

I have not suggested our prospects font on paper look promising, just reminded some that no team ever relies or has relied solely on its own prospects, none being selected in the top 3, to build its core and thus free agency is "part" of the solution despite the risks
If you weren't upset about the Wings being "worse than last year" (which I guess???? is your argument) or this free agency period, you wouldn't be riding this thread so hard. Clearly you are upset. You obviously aren't the only one.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
By themselves? Probably not. But contenders aren't comprised solely of a core. Role players are always important.

But that core, if it continues to progress as it has, is every bit as good as the Blues/Knights teams. Or the Dallas/Canes that are perceived as contenders but haven't won.

Having the right coach is critical. That, I have more reservations about.
St. Louis had Oreilly/Tarasenko and Pietrangelo
Vegas had Eichel/Marchessault/Stone and Pietrangelo

Those cores are better than anything Detroit has in the organization right now. And both those teams were carried by unbelievable depth as well as goaltending. And they had better high-end talent as well.

Dallas has younger and better talent than Detroit right now and it's not really debatable. Aho and Svechnikov are better forwards than anything Detroit has right now also.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
St. Louis had Oreilly/Tarasenko and Pietrangelo
Vegas had Eichel/Marchessault/Stone and Pietrangelo

Those cores are better than anything Detroit has in the organization right now. And both those teams were carried by unbelievable depth as well as goaltending. And they had better high-end talent as well.

Dallas has younger and better talent than Detroit right now and it's not really debatable. Aho and Svechnikov are better forwards than anything Detroit has right now also.
Disagree. Hope you don't get too dejected watching this disappointing core develop.

Reactions: SoupNazi

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I get no one cares but this team is even less “hard to play against” than last year . Literally got owned physically by teams like Florida and now, as of 7/2/24 are even less physical. So let’s see what happens over the next few days, maybe Yzerman has a few coals in the fire, but let’s say I’m underwhelmed thus far

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If you weren't upset about the Wings being "worse than last year" (which I guess???? is your argument) or this free agency period, you wouldn't be riding this thread so hard. Clearly you are upset. You obviously aren't the only one.

Isn't discussion the point of the forum?

I wouldn't suggest posters who post are upset otherwise the forum would be reduced to two thread's; the SY appreciation thread and the anyone but SY thread

Reactions: RedHawkDown

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I get no one cares but this team is even less “hard to play against” than last year . Literally got owned physically by teams like Florida and now, as of 7/2/24 are even less physical. So let’s see what happens over the next few days, maybe Yzerman has a few coals in the fire, but let’s say I’m underwhelmed thus far
The team has no identity, it’s soft and slow

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm saying who you work for and where the job is matters.

Like, you wouldn't be able to pay me enough money to work in Texas, Florida, Manitoba, Quebec, likely Ontario. Or to work for a guy like Tortorella.

Others may have completely different opinions and think the opposite. But simple money/time isn't going to be the sole deciding factor.
I see we have the same no trade list.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why not use the lineup from the end of the season?

Debrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Compher-Kane
Ras-Copp-Perron
Fish-Veleno-Sprong

Vs

Debrincat-Larkin-Ray
Fabbri-Comp-Kane
Ras-Copp-Berg
Fish-Veleno-xx

1719945120819.png

That team is one David Perron away, who already did regress pretty bad at last season. Dropped on ~25% level in WAR.

88% --> 76% --> 26% progress in last 3 years.

3-year averages mislead on the overall number, how he is still "good", but when only looking the last year...

All the other players are in prime, or younger, who will most probably take strides to be better. And full-season Kane is better than half-season Kane.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The more I think I about it, the more I'm thinking everyone penciling in Edvinsson with the Wings this season is where the disconnect is with Yzerman's actions. Putting him in GR you all of a sudden have a much more logical, if not terrible, defensive group

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
The more I think I about it, the more I'm thinking everyone penciling in Edvinsson with the Wings this season is where the disconnect is with Yzerman's actions. Putting him in GR you all of a sudden have a much more logical, if not terrible, defensive group
That's not happening.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Anaheim is about $7M beneath the cap floor with 12 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract. I wonder if Yzerman and Verbeek are working on something.

They are over the cap floor, thanks to 8.2M of rookie bonuses, which are count against he floor (but capfriendly doesn't count them).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad