GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If opening night starts without an upgrade on D I'll be disappointed. But not going to doom on July 1. Still think Wings are set up well to pull off a big trade - and I'm really really glad no dumb long term moves were made today.
If the D looks like this on opening night, we're finishing bottom 5 in the NHL. On paper, we currently have the worst D in the league, so we all better hope this isn't the group going into the season.

Seider- #1 NHL D
Edvinsson- I'll call him a generous #4 at the moment, but should climb with experience
Maatta, Chiarot, Gustafsson- all 3rd pair guys on good teams
Lagesson- AHLer
Petry-washed up plug, out of position all the time
Holl- amazing he wasnt bought out. Again thats stubborn Steve refusing to admit he made a mistake.
Johansson-Has potential, but hes a depth guy until he shows otherwise

It's mind-boggling that this is the current group we have with Yzerman being in charge for 6 years..what a bunch of castaways

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ottawa and Buffalo's NHL youth just in our division is better than ours and both teams overall are younger and honestly, Mtl is not that far behind either...

I would take Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson or Dahlin, Power and Thompson ahead of Seider,Raymond and Edvinsson and that is not and should not be knock on any of them..

Oh, Ottawa and Buffalo. Those MASTERFUL organizations.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
If the D looks like this on opening night, we're finishing bottom 5 in the NHL. On paper, we currently have the worst D in the league, so we all better hope this isn't the group going into the season.

Seider- #1 NHL D
Edvinsson- I'll call him a generous #4 at the moment, but should climb with experience
Maatta, Chiarot, Gustafsson- all 3rd pair guys on good teams
Lagesson- AHLer
Petry-washed up plug, out of position all the time
Holl- amazing he wasnt bought out. Again thats stubborn Steve refusing to admit he made a mistake.
Johansson-Has potential, but hes a depth guy until he shows otherwise

It's mind-boggling that this is the current group we have with Yzerman being in charge for 6 years..what a bunch of castaways
Plus 8 milly tied into three nobody goalies

Chris Illitch is the reason.

There is no Yzerplan. It’s the Chris Illitch plan.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Plus 8 milly tied into three nobody goalies

Chris Illitch is the reason.

There is no Yzerplan. It’s the Chris Illitch plan.
Maybe Steve thinks you can play all 3 goalies at the same time??

I agree though, I'm so sick of the term "YZERPLAN". The team is worse now than it was 2 years ago, and none of the prospects even developed in the NHL last season because stubborn Steve refused to call them up.

Maybe we'll see playoff hockey in 2030?

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Oh, Ottawa and Buffalo. Those MASTERFUL organizations.
Definitely aiming to improve, versus this BS. What plan ?

The longest runway on earth and wait for the kids? Today’s signings are nothing more than bridges and band aids, again.

37 year old talbot, Kane on a 1 year deal. What cornerstone did we bring in ? Even if Trouba comes here, it’s on two year deal, a bloated contract that you pray the rangers retain at least 25% of it.

I’m tired of feeling like nothing more than patience, endless runway, well just wait till the kids are here.

What did we add that’s getting us into a deep run in the playoffs?

Haven’t made the playoffs in a decade and I’m tired and most of you prolly should be as well. Have $32 million of ammunition and an alleged jeti as a GM, I expect more.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think Detroit knows that they're really not very far away from having to start over on the rebuild.
Not start over , but continue,we are in the final stages of it . 2 more years and all bad contracts, maybe except Copp will be gone. Kids will get older and better. We don't have superstars in the system, that is why it's taking longer. Next draft will be very good , it should be end of our rebuild. Next year Yzerman should be more active and trade away some prospects for good NHL players and more active in free agency. Meanwhile he should let some kids to play in NHL to get experience

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Guys it's literally July 1st

It's nice not to see a 4x6M handed out to a guy like Toffoli or 6x4.5M to what will eventually be the corpse of Tanev just to mask our problems

At least he did some small additions that didn't financially handcuff the franchise from adding a potential big fish on D via trade. There is plenty of time to make a trade and for all the days of complaining that we may do in between, I would be shocked if we didn't exit the summer with a new top 4 RD. I will happily eat crow if that is not the case

I'd rather wait this out and see what happens with Trouba or even the Vegas situation with Theodore and Pietrangelo. They committed 7.35m with term to Hanifin and are currently over 700k above the cap too

One thing we haven't seen is Yzerman weaponize cap space. How he can do that is dependent on the Seider and Raymond deals currently

We have NHL D and lots of draft picks and prospects to trade away. Yzerman addressed a weakness and added a two-time 40 goal scorer in his prime out of nowhere a year ago to literally all of our surprise and then got his former teammate Kane here

Let him cook for a minute longer

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Not start over , but continue,we are in the final stages of it . 2 more years and all bad contracts, maybe except Copp will be gone. Kids will get older and better. We don't have superstars in the system, that is why it's taking longer. Next draft will be very good , it should be end of our rebuild. Next year Yzerman should be more active and trade away some prospects for good NHL players and more active in free agency. Meanwhile he should let some kids to play in NHL to get experience

I dont think you can pick a year in the future and say that's the year we make trades or a specific draft and say that top 15 pick is the one we always needed...

It's a continuous process of adding and getting better year after year after year.

No we absolutely should not have gone out and signed 3 guys today to 7 year 9m dollar deals...that everyone agrees on

But adding literally no NHL talent is equally as bad...

It's true summer isn't over.. it's also true not alot of deals get done between July 2nd and Sept 15th in comparison to June 25th and July 1st. Maybe some deal is gonna drop but I wouldnt count on it..

Reactions: lilidk

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Guys it's literally July 1st

It's nice not to see a 4x6M handed out to a guy like Toffoli or 6x4.5M to what will eventually be the corpse of Tanev just to mask our problems

At least he did some small additions that didn't financially handcuff the franchise from adding a potential big fish on D via trade. There is plenty of time to make a trade and for all the days of complaining that we may do in between, I would be shocked if we didn't exit the summer with a new top 4 RD. I will happily eat crow if that is not the case

I'd rather wait this out and see what happens with Trouba or even the Vegas situation with Theodore and Pietrangelo. They committed 7.35m with term to Hanifin and are currently over 700k above the cap too

One thing we haven't seen is Yzerman weaponize cap space. How he can do that is dependent on the Seider and Raymond deals currently

We have NHL D and lots of draft picks and prospects to trade away. Yzerman addressed a weakness and added a two-time 40 goal scorer in his prime out of nowhere a year ago to literally all of our surprise and then got his former teammate Kane here

Let him cook for a minute longer

You're a better man than I for having the patience to explain the obvious.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
It'll be miraculous if we're as good next year. I kept hearing Stamkos, guentzel, pesce, chychrun among others for so long. And we got whatever the f this was. And for the price of chychrun that was paid??. We traded a f'ing 2nd with walman. And we go with the safest pick at 15. You can't wait on "perfect" deals. If something drastically positive happens now I'll be shocked. I'd rather an aggressive gm, than to whatever the hell we're doing. I was so pumped about today. Then it happened. Should've drafted eiserman and put him on the 3rd line at this rate.

We could of paid Stamkos 9x4 ... The guy is putting up 40 goals still ... I'd rather have 1 elite player than 6 trash players.

Why did we free up cap? We got a bargain on Kane once again.
If he's pissed I wouldn't blame him.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I am confused...are you saying Stutzle can't or won't get better( ie he is done developing) cause Pinto may want out?
I normally don't deign to speak for someone but it seems pretty clear the poster is saying your gold standards for "growth from youth" are going to amount to jack shit when the youth bails on the sinking ship. You can bet your ass Brady is out of Ottawa the 1st chance he gets. Buffalo has been rebuilding since Drury and Briere left.

I can't say I envy many teams behind us in the standings regardless of what shiny toys they have.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad