GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can’t believe how bad of a job yzerman did today. Makes the walman trade look even worse. Why exactly was cap space important

Because he is not done yet.

Yzerman wasn't done after day 1 last year and he wasn't done after day 2 last year.

It's obvious that we are hoarding assets, and then he'll adjust later on trades.

And a PP1 QB. We also wanted ti get better not worse

Do you remember we have Moritz Seider? And Gustafsson now for the 2nd PP.

My god, think for a second.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Fabbri - Veleno - XXX (some buyout cheap winger like Cam Atkinson or Jeff Skinner)
Rasmussen - Copp - YYY (Fischer or replacement)
---------------------------
(Dries, "czarnik" etc. or kids)

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Määttä - Gustafsson
-----------------
Johansson - Holl
Lagesson - Wallinder

Husso
Talbot
Lyon
--------
Campbell
Cossa
Hopefully Steve ain't done cooking just yet...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Not sure what he offered, but to trade away a player along with a pick to get rid of him
And free up space tells me they really wanted someone I would think, and since they overpaid for Copp
And Compher and Chariot, maybe you have to overpay again. But to come up with nothing?
Necessary actions should not be confused for sufficient actions. He may have needed to move Walman to attempt something in free agency. It does not mean, however, that his free agency plans were guaranteed to come to fruition no matter how much he was wiling to overpay. Detroit is not an inherently desirable location and sells itself to free agents and we aren't that competitive at the moment.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Hopefully Steve ain't done cooking just yet...

I don't think he is. By all accounts he was in for the big name players today but for whatever reason they didn't materialise because of too expensive or maybe they didnt wanna come. So I think the idea was definitely to add some quality to this team.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
These players are on the Detroit Red Wings

Chiarot-Petry
Maatta-Holl
Gustafsson-Lagesson

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane
Berggren - Compher - Raymond
Fabbri - Veleno - XXX (some buyout cheap winger like Cam Atkinson or Jeff Skinner)
Rasmussen - Copp - YYY (Fischer or replacement)
---------------------------
(Dries, "czarnik" etc. or kids)

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Määttä - Gustafsson
-----------------
Johansson - Holl
Lagesson - Wallinder

Husso
Talbot
Lyon
--------
Campbell
Cossa
If Compher is our f***ing 2nd line C, we are a lottery team.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Because he is not done yet.

Yzerman wasn't done after day 1 last year and he wasn't done after day 2 last year.

It's obvious that we are hoarding assets, and then he'll adjust later on trades.
Honestly what do we have to trade and why would a team make that trade after the top free agents have signed?

I don't think any team oversigned today planning to trade tomorrow

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
And a PP1 QB. We also wanted ti get better not worse
We're like 5 hours into free agency. He hasn't made any terrible signings, and who's to say he didn't go after any of the big fish? I certainly wouldn't want Stamkos or Lindholm at those prices. I'd have taken Roy or Pesce at those prices but it takes two to tango.

Everyone saying we're a lottery team, but as of right now it's basically the same team as last year - which isn't great, but it isn't a lottery team.

And again, it ain't over yet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Compher is our f***ing 2nd line C, we are a lottery team.

Like he was at last season, and we weren't a lottery team.

In what world you guys are living?

Best UFAs left by points/game from last season:

RW Tarasenko 0.72
C Henrique 0.62
LW Skinner 0.62
RW Sprong 0.57
LW JvR 0.54
C/RW Roslovic 0.50

No other players over 0.50

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It was never supposed to take six years minimum just to get back to the playoffs.
No. It usually takes teams over a decade to rebuild. Look at the current Avs. 12+ Years. Oilers 15+ years. Carolina 10+ years. Buffalo, Columbus and Ottawa are on the 20+ year plan. NJ is over a decade now.

Who ever came up with some 5 year plan? Some video game? It takes 5 years just to get things moving, and that’s where they’re at. Especially with no lottery balls falling their way.

They’re right around where they should be. Their system is now loaded with some talented kids. They have to develop though. That doesn’t happen overnight. We’re literally just about where you’d be to start seeing kids coming through, and they already have two kids who’ve played 200 games and are on the verge of stardom.

I know it stinks to have patience but if you want a team who’s gonna win for a 10-12 year run, you have to go through these times. New Jersey still is and they’ve won the lottery twice recently, and had other Top 3 picks.

It’s always interesting to ask everyone complaining, what you would’ve done instead? Play kids way too early and ruin them? Ask Buffalo, Ottawa and the Oilers how that works out. You can’t reset the game if you don’t like how the lottery balls fall. Their average draft position is like 7th overall.

There’s 25 teams who would love to be in their position when it comes to the next decade, because that defense is gonna be so deep. Like I said, I know it’s frustrating but it is reality. What would be really bad, is not having a Top 1-3 prospect system now.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
thats a lottery roster

name 5 teams on paper worse than this
I don't entirely disagree with that assessment. I also completely forgot Berggy who'd probably get that spot over Danielson.

Defensively I think this team screams trainwreck but they sort of did last year too. Mazur and Kasper would at least add some speed and physicality to the lineup. Our top 6 really lacks size and physicality. If Yzerman can add a legit partner for Ed between now and camp I could see this team being about equal to last years team or slightly worse. The problem is that I see most teams in the East getting better so I could see us finishing bottom 10 with a similar performing team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
And cap hit and term? If it is the same as what they accepted. No thank you
100% same cap and term...and now add Ardvinson...

I do not think whatsoever that anymore than 2 of our current prospects(SE, Cossa,ASP,Danielson,Kasper, MBN) will demand a big contract at any point during the tenure of those players I mentioned above deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad