GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
i refuse to question yzerman. I have questioned him before with the draft and i will not do it again. This years FA is a little wild. I would have done that debrusk deal. some others I probably would have done as well. but I can only imagine there is something else in the cards that we are just not ready for. (no i was not referring to jack fricken campbell....this isn't the lions)

We now have a cap space that can be weaponized for teams. How do you weaponize i have no idea at this exact moment. Signing gustaffson means we don't sign ghost, i am completely fine with that and his cap hit for what he brings (more defense with essentially the same offensive output).

All this day did was scream at me danielson, kasper, mazur, berggren are making the team and going to produce (they kind of have to). I really hope we find a way to throw maatta and holl away. I think that is actually a big possibility because some teams out there made no progress or real change and still need players. We have the "luxury" of having young kids that can make the lineup today (aljo, ed on D) that we can send these guys off and have to be paid to do so.

I will say that the walman trade looks a lot more perplexing at this exact moment.
I like what you're saying, but honestly what team ever in the NHL became anything worthwhile solely via its own draft picks mone of whom was top 3?

The thinking the SY is gonna make Detroit the first to me is a bit out there...

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Just what I said. It was never supposed to take 6 years minimum just to get back into the playoffs.

Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment - half of the NHL gets in. Yzerman has had far too much runway and needs to start feeling some serious pressure to start delivering results. "Incremental snail's pace improvement" isn't the standard of the Detroit Red Wings.

It seems that you have your own timeline for the rebuild that is based on little more than "we're the Red Wings."

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't have a problem building through the draft and taking time to develop kids to build a team.

But like, what if instead of making all these moves in the last week Yzerman just took a vacation instead? I think I would feel the same about the team today and for the future. What is it that he does here?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
We've been patient enough. Detroit hasn't been in the playoffs for almost a decade. Like I said, Yzerman was hired to be special, not just an average GM.

If Detroit is sitting here next year and has still not made the playoffs, Yzerman needs to be on the hot seat. At some point, you need to have a standard.

Any other general manager in a serious hockey city would never get the runway that he's gotten.

If you think his drafting has been average then that's on you.

The fact is he's building a team through the draft and filling in the team with low cost free agents while he does.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Why? He was hired in Detroit to be a Jedi, not just another run-of-the-mill GM. They could have hired Bob Smith as their GM and they'd be right where they are now.
So what do you care? All what would change with firing Yzerman is Yzerman out and Bob Smith in and we are right back at square one.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
I refused to doubt Yzerman before. But I've really run out of excuses. Some great moves. But then moves a rookie gm would make. I was so pissed at the holl/petry acquisitions. And I felt copp was an overpay for what he brought. But I defended them. But now 5 years later. We're really not that close. A lot of things have to bounce their way development wise to compete for cups. But the lack of aggression this year baffles me given last year's result. We can't wait until we're built to win the cup, the same year we return to the playoffs. That makes no sense. Unless this is a 15 year rebuild.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sorta sounds like we're banking on the Trouba thing happening. Not a lot of quality in that d group.

I think it still goes down. Trouba just caught flatfooted and trying to figure it out with the family.

When Bill Guerin asked Ryan Suter if he'd be open to a trade, Suter hung up the phone on him. These guys don't always take the news well at first.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
I was just very underwhelmed to see William Lagesson be the first signing we have.

Talbot and Gustafsson I like.
Campbell I really don't like, but it's league minimum, so who cares.
Sheldon Dries I am convinced isn't a real person.

I came into today hoping for Steven Stamkos and i got f***ing Sheldon Dries. That's where my disappointment is at. Like, if you just stood pat and didn't sign anyone, I"d get it. But I'm seeing the alerts like "WHO IN THE BLUE HELL IS SHELDON DRIES?"

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
People keep talking about a Husso trade....

Yzerman would have to trade ASP or MBN to get another first rounder to get rid of him...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

The fact is he's building a team through the draft and filling in the team with low cost free agents while he does.
The guys he is building through the draft with have no option but to be on the team, but yet he keeps filling and filling and filling and filling the roster

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
The guys he is building through the draft with have no option but to be on the team, but yet he keeps filling and filling and filling and filling the roster

.... but that's what he's not doing today and people here are mad about it?

Hughes Hefner

May 12, 2018

Apparently you are not familiar with the 3 guys whose last name begins with the letter C

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I still feel like a dman has to come our way via trade now, but it sounds like we'll be seeing a lot of kids which I'm not entirely against.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Kane- Compher- Danielson
Ras- Copp- Mazur
Fabbri- Kasper- Fisher

Seider-Gus
Chiarot-Ed
Aljo/Petry-Maata
Petry/Holl

Whichever 2 goalies duke it out and win....

I don't think there is a chance this team makes the playoffs next year but it could be entertaining if we get to see the kids play.

I'm not entirely upset we didn't sign any of the largely awful deals out there, but you can't argue this team is likely to better than last season.

What UFAs are likely to be on the market next year? Wings should have quite a bit of salary off the books then.
Steve has been pretty clear about bringing Ed and AlJo up from Grand Rapids. So those two seem like locks. He's also been publicly praising Mazur and Kasper so those guys may get the chance to make the roster. Danielson feels like more of a wildcard.

If we still want to add a RD to pair with Ed that means we would have 8 defensemen which is crazy. We also currently have 3 goalies (if Campbell is going to Grand Rapids) which Yzerman said he didn't want to do again. So either guys are going to get traded or waived/bought out.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
could holl and/or maatta be going to nyr for trouba? they have 4 D signed with one most likely signed as rfa (lindgren). We take the full 8 mil trouba contract, however, they take holl's contract as cap dump and maatta. Maata plays on the rangers and they waive holl? clears 6.4 mil in cap for us, so we are only adding 2 mil in cap.

Then we sign another forward that plays middle 6 or bottom 6. IDK who that is but let's just say skinner since he hasn't been signed yet. You could also sign skinner for a very low cap hit due to his buyout and everything. Maybe we go after adam henrique who is still out there too. Or wennberg.

Fu** it do we trade for werensky? No, but why not speculate for funzies?

we then waive husso that no one will grab (maybe SJS will take him and that is the 2nd round pick payment).

Will I be overly joyed for this to happen? no but hey, something to try and look forward too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
People keep talking about a Husso trade....

Yzerman would have to trade ASP or MBN to get another first rounder to get rid of him...

Lyon is definitely the easier move.

Husso would need retention (and a small sweetener) or he's exchanged for another cap dump.

John Gibson made a lot of sense because that deal goes another three years while Husso is done after this year. The Ducks get out of that contract faster and the Wings get the reclamation goalie.

I guess we still can't rule that out. Gibson/Talbot is a tandem I think inspires more confidence than our current rotation.

But I'm curious what the team sees as Cossa's timeline currently. Hopefully he's splitting games next year.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Please tell me exactly what Yzerman offered to each available free agent. If he was being cheap, let us know just how cheap he was.

It is great to finally meet someone else who supports the Copp and Chariot contracts.

Not sure what he offered, but to trade away a player along with a pick to get rid of him
And free up space tells me they really wanted someone I would think, and since they overpaid for Copp
And Compher and Chariot, maybe you have to overpay again. But to come up with nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad