GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Ah yes, sign someone for the sake of signing someone. What could go wrong? At least you will feel productive.

Sorry, what? Last few years you overpaid for Copp, Chariot, and Compher, and this year you decide to be more selective? They have to fill holes in their roster until their prospects can take over. And again, as I stated before, you don’t like the free agency market, cool, where are the trades? Look at what Washington did with Chychrun.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
i refuse to question yzerman. I have questioned him before with the draft and i will not do it again. This years FA is a little wild. I would have done that debrusk deal. some others I probably would have done as well. but I can only imagine there is something else in the cards that we are just not ready for. (no i was not referring to jack fricken campbell....this isn't the lions)

We now have a cap space that can be weaponized for teams. How do you weaponize i have no idea at this exact moment. Signing gustaffson means we don't sign ghost, i am completely fine with that and his cap hit for what he brings (more defense with essentially the same offensive output).

All this day did was scream at me danielson, kasper, mazur, berggren are making the team and going to produce (they kind of have to). I really hope we find a way to throw maatta and holl away. I think that is actually a big possibility because some teams out there made no progress or real change and still need players. We have the "luxury" of having young kids that can make the lineup today (aljo, ed on D) that we can send these guys off and have to be paid to do so.

I will say that the walman trade looks a lot more perplexing at this exact moment.

Reactions: DamonDRW

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

What 18.5, thereabouts? Was 31 after trading Walman, 6.5 for Kane (2.5 is bonuses), 2.5 Talbot, 2 Gustafsson, .775 Campbell, 0.775 Lagesson?

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Come again?

Just what I said. It was never supposed to take 6 years minimum just to get back into the playoffs.

Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment - half of the NHL gets in. Yzerman has had far too much runway and needs to start feeling some serious pressure to start delivering results. "Incremental snail's pace improvement" isn't the standard of the Detroit Red Wings.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why? He was hired in Detroit to be a Jedi, not just another run-of-the-mill GM. They could have hired Bob Smith as their GM and they'd be right where they are now.
that is not why he was hired. He literally said the next few years are going to suck, just bare through it lol

We also have been drafting at a crazy good clip and we are about to see those kids this coming year barring crazy weird trades. I mean come on, we have 4 goalies now, how in the hell is the other team supposed to score?

• Haha
Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Detroit winning free agency because they didn’t improve the team? Weird take.

Notice when that was typed up. There was still hope that some kind of material addition could be made. That they sat out the first rush and maybe there was an E. Lindholm still available to snipe. But then they decided that Jack Campbell and Sheldon Dries were needs

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Perron
Statistically, the team just got faster with Perron signing in Ottawa. He joins Jensen.

What 18.5, thereabouts? Was 31 after trading Walman, 6.5 for Kane (2.5 is bonuses), 2.5 Talbot, 2 Gustafsson, .775 Campbell, 0.775 Lagesson?
I see a goalie trade coming with Husso, Lyon, Talbot and Campbell currently signed. Are the Wings going to trade Husso.?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I still feel like a dman has to come our way via trade now, but it sounds like we'll be seeing a lot of kids which I'm not entirely against.

DBC-Larkin-Ray
Kane- Compher- Danielson
Ras- Copp- Mazur
Fabbri- Kasper- Fisher

Seider-Gus
Chiarot-Ed
Aljo/Petry-Maata
Petry/Holl

Whichever 2 goalies duke it out and win....

I don't think there is a chance this team makes the playoffs next year but it could be entertaining if we get to see the kids play.

I'm not entirely upset we didn't sign any of the largely awful deals out there, but you can't argue this team is likely to better than last season.

What UFAs are likely to be on the market next year? Wings should have quite a bit of salary off the books then.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Says who? You?
He was very clear it would take this long from the start and was very clear we'd have to be very patient

We've been patient enough. Detroit hasn't been in the playoffs for almost a decade. Like I said, Yzerman was hired to be special, not just an average GM. Why should fans be asked to continue to spend their money to watch a product that isn't delivering meaningful results?

If Detroit is sitting here next year and has still not made the playoffs, Yzerman needs to be on the hot seat. At some point, you need to have a standard.

Any other general manager in a serious hockey city would never get the runway that he's gotten.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wait do we not want the kids to come up now? Because that's what it looks like. I thought we wanted that?

apparently we wanted five top free agent signing and the kids brought up. And every contract we don't like moved to someone else for maximum return, which would have probably included at least three of those five previously mentioned signings this summer.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sorry, what? Last few years you overpaid for Copp, Chariot, and Compher, and this year you decide to be more selective? They have to fill holes in their roster until their prospects can take over. And again, as I stated before, you don’t like the free agency market, cool, where are the trades? Look at what Washington did with Chychrun.
Please tell me exactly what Yzerman offered to each available free agent. If he was being cheap, let us know just how cheap he was.

It is great to finally meet someone else who supports the Copp and Chariot contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad