GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Atoadaso

Mar 27, 2019
except thats exactly what hes done by signing Copp, Holl and Compher in previous offseasons

I truly believe Yzerman himself is confused with the direction of the team. If the plan all along was to be patient and let the prospects develop, and eventually make the jump to the NHL, then explain last offseason?

Last offseason he did the EXACT opposite, signed tons of free agents....
Yeah to let them get ice time elsewhere instead of forcing them into role they weren’t ready for unlike what they did to Rasmussen

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I do not think any ONE of the deals signed today would drag us down and moreover I do not believe whatsoever that when or if this team gets better, it'll be solely because of the prospect's you listed...that's not how it works...

I know we all love our own but it's not practical to think any of them, let alone all of them, will become the core of an elite team
I slightly disagree.
You need both, and you need some of them to become the core. When you have that core, then you add the missing pieces in free agency.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
except thats exactly what hes done by signing Copp, Holl and Compher in previous offseasons

I truly believe Yzerman himself is confused with the direction of the team. If the plan all along was to be patient and let the prospects develop, and eventually make the jump to the NHL, then explain last offseason?

Last offseason he did the EXACT opposite, signed tons of free agents....
Thank you. Last season we overpaid for Compher and Copp prior. I’m tired of the “free agency is expensive” crap. Yes it is, it’s your ability to acquire an asset for nothing. And yes, to get them you’re competing with 32 other teams, so you have to pay up or offer more term. Yzerman set this up by trading Walman and a second just to get him out the door immediately, now I have to ask, what was the hurry if this is all we have to show for it. Again, I get it’s not over, but who is left that’s appealing?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This is where I'm at, what is the direction of the team? We seem to make moves both ways that will leave us in the wildcard/looking out for a long time.

Yes we got screwed in the lottery in past years but we have to move on from that
And do what exactly?

Last offseason he did the EXACT opposite, signed tons of free agents........
- Compher doesn't drag us down in 3yrs and that'll be his last yr anyway
- Holl was due to the need of a rhd, i never agreed with it, but understand the logic, but petry, who surprinsingly came available, made him expandable. And Holl's contract is 2 more yrs
- Copp has 1yr left in 3 yrs, no problem to get rid of that contract. And his signing which i didnt like a lot had other reasons (larkin)

you gotta fill the roster somehow and none of those deals drag us down when we should be contenders. we simply are not yet.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Four goalies, screw it.

5MuoBL.gif

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Thank you. Last season we overpaid for Compher and Copp prior. I’m tired of the “free agency is expensive” crap. Yes it is, it’s your ability to acquire an asset for nothing. And yes, to get them you’re competing with 32 other teams, so you have to pay up or offer more term. Yzerman set this up by trading Walman and a second just to get him out the door immediately, now I have to ask, what was the hurry if this is all we have to show for it. Again, I get it’s not over, but who is left that’s appealing?
Why do people keep presuming that Yzerman didn't try to sign any of the bigger name free agents?

Sorry, you can't force players to sign in Detroit.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Nice! Where in Norway are you staying?

So far, Bergen - Sogndal - Nordfjordeid ... then possibly back to Bergen if no other stops? We planned to use ferries/busses and rent a car for a few day trips here and there rather than then rent for the whole trip but that may change. Plan was 3 to 4 days in a few cities/villages and we can explore the areas around those spots.

Atoadaso

Mar 27, 2019
I’m only upset we didn’t get Stamkos. Seeing him and Kane playing together would’ve been pretty damn sweet, but at 4x$8 F that.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
how are people possibly shitting on the Gustafsson signing? That’s a fantastic deal for an offensive defenseman who’s actually good at playing defense. He’s an upgraded Walman. And at 2mil? Hell yes.
I like the signing unless Tanguay is going to play him on the top pp over Seider. One season of that was i furiating enough.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Really hope Steve can find some way to stabilize the blue line. Happy to see youth in the lineup, but this has "regression year" written all over it so far.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
And do what exactly?
Figure out a way to get some elite talent. Yzerman is the one who decided to sign a bunch of free agents and take Detroit out of the lottery and firmly in mediocracy. Now the team has no way to acquire elite talent, is one of the oldest rosters in the league, saddled with quite a few bad contracts, and the young core players are about to get expensive.

Reactions: taliababa
I do not think any ONE of the deals signed today would drag us down and moreover I do not believe whatsoever that when or if this team gets better, it'll be solely because of the prospect's you listed...that's not how it works...

I know we all love our own but it's not practical to think any of them, let alone all of them, will become the core of an elite team
I'm almost speechless^^ Take your pick. Elias Lindholm i.e. for 7x7,75 was it? You want that player at that price for that long???

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Why do people keep presuming that Yzerman didn't try to sign any of the bigger name free agents?

Sorry, you can't force players to sign in Detroit.
Becisse he didn’t sign ANY. I get he’s not going to sign everyone, but shut out? Washington acquired Chychrun for next
To nothing. Don’t want to play in free agency? Cool, so where are the trades?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad