GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
One last spin on cap friendly before the chaos ensues.

View attachment 890488

• Signed Seider for 3 years.
  • Signed Ray for 8 years.
  • Signed Stamkos, Skinner, Roy.
  • Re-upped Fischer as a 13th forward.
  • Brought up Mazur, Söderblom, Danielson and Kasper.
  • Traded Rasmussen for Askarov.
  • Bought out Fabbri and Holl.
  • $634,000 in cap space left.

That seems like an awful lot of rookies in the line up.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We should sign Mo and Ray for as long as possible. The cap will go up almost 10mil over the next 2 years. Every player is just gonna get more expensive as time goes on. Even if you overpay a little now, it'll be a great deal when we are competing for the big prize.
I'm sure Yzerman wants to sign Mo to a long-term deal. I basically followed what Prashanth Iyer put together for a short term deal. That way you get a few more years to see if Mo can generate more offense or if he's more of a rock solid defenseman who puts up 40ish points per season.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
by the same token this is a goalie they are willing to move from. I don't think there's anything wrong with the guy, but that's the other way to look at it. They are really good at developing goalies and they don't trust this guy.

I'm not down on Askarov, just to be clear. I'm just not down on Cossa, either, and not sure our guy is any worse than theirs.
Good point, and for the record I wouldn't touch Askarov if the price was ASP and Cossa.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That seems like an awful lot of rookies in the line up.
The one thing we are lacking is skill. Adding Stamkos and Skinner means you need to rely on cheap contracts to fill out the roster. We have 2 NHL quality scoring lines and one pretty solid third line.

You could move the Husso contract but it's super expensive to do so and I wasn't thrilled about buying out his contact given Yzerman said he's fully healthy. I was fine with buying out Holl's contract, obviously, and with Fabbri he seems to struggle staying healthy so I thought it made sense to buy him out.

I'm sure Yzerman wants to sign Mo to a long-term deal. I basically followed what Prashanth Iyer put together for a short term deal. That way you get a few more years to see if Mo can generate more offense or if he's more of a rock solid defenseman who puts up 40ish points per season.
Got it. But he had 40pts while only playing PP2. The production can basically only go up, if you put him on PP1 and he develops accordingly. If you sign him to a 3yr deal, I guarantee you his market value will be at the very least 9mil in 2027.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Am I the only one thinking Jack Campbell to Detroit seems likely?

Michigan connection. Vet reclamation project. Same strategy of last year of taking a swing with 3 guys hoping one turns into a home run while biding time waiting for Cossa
Nope, I think he could be a risk worth taking to work with the GR crew and if capable, our 3rd goalie. Life in GR may not be too bad if he doesn't make every road swing and played mostly home games. I think the new goalie coach might be able to help turn him around enough at least to replace Hutch.

Just looking straight stats wise... 8x7 for Seider?
leonardo-dicaprio-sold-gif.gif

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know that his name is even coming up much any more, but I'd say 5 goals in 21 games as a 21(?) year old combined with the theory that big guys take longer to develop is a strong start

I would have thought being completely mediocre in Grand Rapids and with several prospects seeming ready to pass him, if not already passed him would be a reason not to see multiple people building a lineup that includes him for 2024-25 in their playground on CapFriendly

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
One last spin on cap friendly before the chaos ensues.

View attachment 890488

• Signed Seider for 3 years.
  • Signed Ray for 8 years.
  • Signed Stamkos, Skinner, Roy.
  • Re-upped Fischer as a 13th forward.
  • Brought up Mazur, Söderblom, Danielson and Kasper.
  • Traded Rasmussen for Askarov.
  • Bought out Fabbri and Holl.
  • $634,000 in cap space left.
would rather have berggren at like 1,5 instead of skinner there but like the look

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont think the league and people in hockey put Slavin on anywhere near the same pedestal as the hockey fan hivemind does. Never bought into the narrative about him being the most underrated player in the league...and I mean clearly the league still doesn't either hence him STILL being paid like a good #2 rather than a #1.

Good player, no doubt, I'm just tired of everyone going full Principal Skinner meme over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad