GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You clearly have reading comprehension issues. They're not taking a paycut in the scenario I presented and will in fact make more over the 9 years they'd be under contract.
I think your scenario violates the CBA to start with. If it was legal every team would try to pull buy 1 year get 8 more years 15 minutes later to lock up stars longer.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Also 3.5x2 without any coming back is a sizable chunk to move. Most cap dumps that are feasible now without a heavy cost are deal a fabbri at 4M and get a wing back at 2.5-3m

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
It's not your bad, in his fantasy they take a one year deal first.
They sign both deals this summer smart guy
I think your scenario violates the CBA to start with.
Not at all. You are eligible to sign an extension within a year of expiration. There's no violation. Maybe it's not in the "spirit of the rules" but neither is the ltir cap manipulation going on. Just another loophole

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They sign both deals this summer smart guy

Not at all. You are eligible to sign an extension within a year of expiration. There's no violation. Maybe it's not in the "spirit of the rules" but neither is the ltir cap manipulation going on. Just another loophole
  • For players on a one-year contract, they need to wait until January 1

You're wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, but still, you're really not asking yourself what you'd do personally.

Why are either player taking a 2-year deal when they can clearly get way more outside of helping the Red Wings...

If they sign a 2 year deal and perform, do you really think they're not gonna ask for 9-10 million in 2 years with the cap rise?

It's in both camps interest to get somewhere between minimum 5-8 year deal done.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Why are either player taking a 2-year deal when they can clearly get way more outside of helping the Red Wings...

If they sign a 2 year deal and perform, do you really think they're not gonna ask for 9-10 million in 2 years with the cap rise?

It's in both camps interest to get somewhere between minimum 5-8 year deal done.

They'll ask for way more because there will be more UFA years being eaten in an 8 year deal.

Ladies and gentlemen, Ken Holland has come out of his involuntary retirement to add his expertise to our thread
After looking into it, it does violate the CBA. You can't sign a player to a one year deal then immediately extend it. Extensions start after Jan 1 for one year deals.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

It really depends if they want to help put a winning team together. We have no idea what negotiations look like right now.

We do know they've been issued qualifying offers so we should know more soon

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
How much more can they ask for on a 8 year deal than 8 million? Not sure either player touches over 8.5 in open market.

In 2 years? If Mo is a legit #1 and Ray is scoring 80 points? Mo would be looking at 10+ easily. Ray could ask for close to Marner money because it'll be a smaller percentage of the cap at that point.

Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It really depends if they want to help put a winning team together. We have no idea what negotiations look like right now.

We do know they've been issued qualifying offers so we should know more soon
This part is true, but I'm asking legitimately, if you can get yourself 8.5 on 8 in the open market in a year, what would you sign now to help the team and be generational wealthy.

In 2 years? If Mo is a legit #1 and Ray is scoring 80 points? Mo would be looking at 10+ easily. Ray could ask for close to Marner money because it'll be a smaller percentage of the cap at that point.
I agree with you, and it's why an 8x8 or 8x7 type deal should be pretty manageable now vs waiting to sign then guys or signing a bridge.

If you sign them to a qualifying offer you're essentially hoping they have down years as key cogs on our team trying to make the playoffs, doesn't make much sense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This part is true, but I'm asking legitimately, if you can get yourself 8.5 on 8 in the open market in a year, what would you sign now to help the team and be generational wealthy.

I agree with you, and it's why an 8x8 or 8x7 type deal should be pretty manageable now vs waiting to sign then guys or signing a bridge.

If you sign them to a qualifying offer you're essentially hoping they have down years as key cogs on our team trying to make the playoffs, doesn't make much sense.
My fear is that if they don't give Mo a good offer there are a lot of teams that would be happy to give up 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third to yank Mo from us and it would be highway robbery. Like if I were the GM of the Kraken I would be thinking about offering him a 11.4x7 year offersheet tomorrow.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

They both have to play 4 more seasons to be considered Ufa so it's not like it's 2 years away

What would I do? I'd be making 6 million to help put a better roster together before taking a longer contract. Either way I'd be rich. I like to think I'd be willing to take team friendly deals so we don't end up the Toronto Maple greens

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
My fear is that if they don't give Mo a good offer there are a lot of teams that would be happy to give up 2 firsts, 1 second and 1 third to yank Mo from us and it would be highway robbery.
Ohhh, nice fear, logical, outside of you don't even know a team capable of that.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
These next few days of using HFBoards on mobile will push me away for a week or two. The constant page refreshing, full border ads. Ugh.

Can’t quit it though :)

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
They both have to play 4 more seasons to be considered Ufa so it's not like it's 2 years away

What would I do? I'd be making 6 million to help put a better roster together before taking a longer contract. Either way I'd be rich. I like to think I'd be willing to take team friendly deals so we don't end up the Toronto Maple greens
Hmm... see this, imo, is where you're not grasping. These guys can get hurt next season, sure they're rich but they left bread on the table.

Easy to say you'd sign a 12 million dollar deal without a 5 year 8 million dollar deal infront of you. (which his agent as a RFA could easily get in front of Seider) It's not like a real comparison. If Red Wings pulled that 2 year offer, his agent can get a better one as a RFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00