GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
General views, take them for whatever they are worth.

• Kane: I can see bringing him back if the term and dollar amount fits Steve's budget. He's besties with Cat, and we need the skill and shootout prowess.
  • Stamkos: feels like a possibility given his relationship with Yzerman. I am hesitant to rely too much on older guys but both Kane and Stamkos are elite and we've seen Detroit have success with older, elite players in the past when we were routinely competing for Stanley Cups.
  • Roy: Hopefully Steve has put some feelers out to get a sense of whether Roy wants to come back to Michigan or if he's looking for the most money available. He'd be a great fit on a team that should see its playoff window open up as soon as this upcoming season.
  • Goalie: I have no idea who is truly available, but I am very reluctant to rely on Husso given his injury history. I don't think he's magically going to become more healthy with age. We missed out on the playoffs last year due entirely to goaltending, let's not make that mistake again.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

• Kane: I can see bringing him back if the term and dollar amount fits Steve's budget. He's besties with Cat, and we need the skill and shootout prowess.
  • Stamkos: feels like a possibility given his relationship with Yzerman. I am hesitant to rely too much on older guys but both Kane and Stamkos are elite and we've seen Detroit have success with older, elite players in the past when we were routinely competing for Stanley Cups.
  • Roy: Hopefully Steve has put some feelers out to get a sense of whether Roy wants to come back to Michigan or if he's looking for the most money available. He'd be a great fit on a team that should see its playoff window open up as soon as this upcoming season.
  • Goalie: I have no idea who is truly available, but I am very reluctant to rely on Husso given his injury history. I don't think he's magically going to become more healthy with age. We missed out on the playoffs last year due entirely to goaltending, let's not make that mistake again.
You're adding 18-20 million in salary. where's that money coming from?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

If they go Husso - Lyon for the year (I assume Reimer's already gone?) and Husso goes down again, isn't that IT for him? LTIR and bring up Cossa? Torpedoes the season, likely, but the bandaid is yanked off the hairy leg, right?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If they go Husso - Lyon for the year (I assume Reimer's already gone?) and Husso goes down again, isn't that IT for him? LTIR and bring up Cossa? Torpedoes the season, likely, but the bandaid is yanked off the hairy leg, right?
Cut out the middleman, there.

Going into the season with Husso/Lyon puts you out of the playoffs before you start. It doesn't matter what else you do. The Wings had a lot of games last season where their play was good enough to win and Husso/Lyon weren't able to stop a beachball.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm not sure right now is the time to put the season on Cossa's back. His development has been great and hopefully he's competing for the #1 spot in 2025-26. I'd like a veteran who can be reliable for 30ish starts per game. Lyon seems like a quality backup, I just don't want to rely on him down the stretch like we did last year.

Reactions: dalem177

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Going into the season with Husso/Lyon puts you out of the playoffs before you start. It doesn't matter what else you do. The Wings had a lot of games last season where their play was good enough to win and Husso/Lyon weren't able to stop a beachball.

Husso is too expensive to move or to have ride the presser. I have a feeling they're going to give him a shot to start the season as part of a tandem making Lyon possibly the odd man out.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

I’m getting old and so is my memory and eyesight…From what I recall it was Lyon who kept us in most games where we got pinned in our own end numerous times per game and once our guys were capable of getting the puck out - they’d just turn it over by dumping it down the ice.

Lyon was a reason why we had a remote shot at making the playoffs…The 5 clowns in front of him were hit and miss all season long.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I’m getting old and so is my memory and eyesight…From what I recall it was Lyon who kept us in most games where we got pinned in our own end numerous times per game and once our guys were capable of getting the puck out - they’d just turn it over by dumping it down the ice.

Lyon was a reason why we had a remote shot at making the playoffs…The 5 clowns in front of him were hit and miss all season long.
Lyon falling apart was a big reason for the March/April collapse. He's a top notch backup but he's not built for a full season.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Lyon falling apart was a big reason for the March/April collapse. He's a top notch backup but he's not built for a full season.
Let’s be honest - Red Wings rode him like a rented mule and with Larkin injury and most the team not finding the back of the net on most those nights tells me Lyon shouldn’t be the fall guy here.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

If SY states my goalies are Husso and Lyon, theirs no reason whatsoever to add anyone to the roster apart from rookies and instead just tank for 1st OA...

Reactions: DTR

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
If Holl isnt bought out or traded before next season, I'm seriously gonna question Yzerman's sanity.

There is no way Holl should be on our roster with that atrocious cap hit.
The only way Holl can be bought out now would be if Detroit has an arbitration filing (Veleno is their lone arbitration-eligible RFA).

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I feel like the OP should have more information than just waiver news. What time does it start? Who is streaming it? Etc.
Fair point.

Believe it’s on ESPN in the States, probably TSN up north. Starts at 12:00 EST but I think “coverage” starts earlier for some programs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad