GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There are reasons but they’re much more keystone cops than Machiavellian.

Murray as GM -> Pegula impulsively hires LaFontaine in Nov 2013 after a dinner/meeting with him one night. Which leads to Regier/ROslton getting fired and Nolan brought in. Then a GM search starts. He (Patty) does the GM search and it leads to Murray. Not even two months later they (Patty/Murray) are fighting with each other over the direction of the team. Murray wants to tank hard. Patty doesn’t and wants to re-sign Miller. Pegula has to pick a side and Murray wins out. Then Patty quits the team.

Both murray and Botts interviewed here. Murray hire was not as rescheduled. Both were on the short list of new gm in the league across the board.

Murray wanted to tank for McDavid, lafontajne did not. Pegula wanted to tank too.

TM firing had to do with leaks.
Botts as GM -> Pegula goes to the NHL offices for guidance on who are the up and coming GM candidates. That leads to Botts getting hired. He (Botts) wants to build up the front office staff and he does. We end up with one of the bigger front offices in the NHL. He gets fired and that front office gets gutted. Pegula also complained about Botts keeping him out of the loop on a lot of things. Thats about him being a dorky fanboy who likes to be around when things are discussed. Not because he tells the GM what to do. Which should be obvious since it would be impossible to leave him out of the loop for 3 years if he controlled things that much. That applies to Bills and Sabres.

I dont recall the details of the firing other than it seemed out of the blue.
Krueger/Adams -> Krueger manages to convince Pegula that he’s found his McDermott for the Sabres. So he (Pegula) sets up a front office thats structured the same as the Bills. That means Krueger has a lot of power over the roster and answers directly to Pegula (not Adams). He hires Adams as GM simply because he knows and trusts him. Pegula felt burned by the guidance from Patty and the league front offices on his previous GM hires. The irony of feeling that way about Patty after he impulsively hired him the first place is beyond comical. This is also the gutted front office that was “economic and efficient”

Adams came on katr inheriting Kruger so he asked what roster needed thrn did those moves.
Adams as GM -> Adams gets full control of the front office after the previous experiment blows up in Pegula’s face. The front office structure goes back to the norm with the GM above the coach. Adams starts bringing back front office personnel and we don’t have the gutted front office any more. Adams hired someone experienced (Karmanos) as the associate GM. Then let him do the grunt work of reviewing the entire organization from top to bottom. We have one of the smallest front offices but its very slowly growing with adds each offseason.

after firing Kruger and having to trade off the Eichel, reinhart, and Risto this meant a rebuild was needed. Thus us similar to the 2013-2015 draft years then trying to compete started. For sabres it was 22-25 draft years

I’ve always found the narrative that Pegula is some master manipulator to be bizarre. He’s a dorky super fan who is easily talked into things. Even if they’re not the norm and don’t look like a great idea. As Bills fans, we’re just lucky one of those things worked out. Teams normally don’t give a ton of power to a first time NFL head coach and have him answer directly to the owner (not the GM). Which effectively boxed out the existing GM. Then is allowed to essentially hire his own GM to replace him. That sounds like another thing that should have blown up in Pegula’s face.

A big difference between nfl and nhl us you can rebuild faster. Nhl you wait 2-5× yrs for drafted players to develop. In nfl you get a fee to contribute in yr 2 and others by yr 2. You can easily get out of contracts and sign UFA and nake big changes over 3 drafts/off sessons and 2 full seasons

,In the nhl, talent is talent. TThee isn't so much a system thing as you see in the nfl where some fit some teams systems but not others.

I don’t understand why it can’t be that he got a bit lucky with the bills, and has been unlucky with the Sabres. Murray and Botts were highly praised hires, and both didn’t work out. Housley was supposed to be a big up and comer, he was horrific.

This idea that he got lucky with the bills but has been a mingling cheap incompetent with the Sabres is a bit much for me as well

Remove Covid issue from this because thr NHL could survive an FCC operate judt on tv money. Not so in hockey where ticket sales matter. Thats where the cheapness comes in and breaking even.

In the NHL you can easily get out of bad contracts or ones that dont fit.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don’t understand why it can’t be that he got a bit lucky with the bills, and has been unlucky with the Sabres. Murray and Botts were highly praised hires, and both didn’t work out. Housley was supposed to be a big up and comer, he was horrific.

This idea that he got lucky with the bills but has been a mingling cheap incompetent with the Sabres is a bit much for me as well
Remember that his first idea for the Bills was hiring Rex Ryan.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I mean we don’t know. But I think it’s a reasonable assumption that the new head coach has a say, and is on board with (at a minimum) or a proponent of, buying out a top 6 forward.

I doubt if Ruff thought having skinner would better the team that KA would buy him out. That seems less likely

If we don’t think he was involved, then we have far far greater issues. A GM buying out a player and making major roster construction decisions without having the HC involved is a concerning thought for sure
KA: Hey, Jeff, have you met Lindy?

Lindy: We're going to need you to play with a little more structure.

Skinner: Uh . . . Nice to meet you?

KA: We love you, Jeff, and we know you want to be here. How do you feel about that?

Lindy: And get off the goddam ice when your shift's over, right?

Skinner: Hold on this is my agent calling. Do you mind if I take this?

Lindy: Yes.

Skinner: yeah, I'm with them now. . . . Oh fine, fine -- just great . . . (etgay emay outta erehay) . . . Did you just say "more money"?

KA: So, Jeff, wha--

Skinner: Buy me out.

Lindy: Great. What's next?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lets not forget that what ended Murray was him being unwilling to sack Bylsma after Jack lead a player revolt against him.

Anyway, now that we've had the annual airing of the GM grievances, with the usual owner pillorying addendum, we can agree that none of the three first timers have been particularly good and they are at where they are at, leaving too much up to hope of return to some previous form under a rush-centric coach.

In player news, I see Zaitsev has made it official with SKA St. Petersburg.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Lets not forget that what ended Murray was him being unwilling to sack Bylsma after Jack lead a player revolt against him.

Anyway, now that we've had the annual airing of the GM grievances, with the usual owner pillorying addendum, we can agree that none of the three first timers have been particularly good and they are at where they are at, leaving too much up to hope of return to some previous form under a rush-centric coach.

In player news, I see Zaitsev has made it official with SKA St. Petersburg.
Feel like we had the three pillars of team building.

Murray burned through assets and didn't build a prospect pool

Botts couldn't rebuild the prospect pool or a competitive team

Adams built a great pool but is now learning what a complete team looks like

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Oh, one whole extra year 😂😂😂. I’d have given Tarasenko three years at his cap hit. He’s twice the player Sucker is.
I wouldn't say twice the player, Zucker is a responsible 3rd line winger who tops out at around 40 points a season .

Tarasenko is a pure goal scorer who has struggled the last two seasons. It could be being on 4 different teams the two years but he has shown some decline. Seems like Yzerman reached a bit hoping that Tarasenko rebounds.

If I had to gamble, I would say Zucker's game has a better chance to hit than Tarasenko's. I would also be weary if I was a wings fan that my top 6 is relying on Tarasenko and Kane.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn't say twice the player, Zucker is a responsible 3rd line winger who tops out at around 40 points a season .

Tarasenko is a pure goal scorer who has struggled the last two seasons. It could be being on 4 different teams the two years but he has shown some decline. Seems like Yzerman reached a bit hoping that Tarasenko rebounds.

If I had to gamble, I would say Zucker's game has a better chance to hit than Tarasenko's. I would also be weary if I was a wings fan that my top 6 is relying on Tarasenko and Kane.

I mean if I were on a team competing with those guys, Kane and Larkin in particular, I would be trying to put a little extra into every time I finish a hit on either one, particularly Larkin. We know what the Wings are like without him. Just sayin'.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I mean if I were on a team competing with those guys, Kane and Larkin in particular, I would be trying to put a little extra into every time I finish a hit on either one, particularly Larkin. We know what the Wings are like without him. Just sayin'.
Larkin at least plays through a lot of ailments. I am curious how Kane's hip holds up. He is one of the only one's that has been able to put in an extended period of play on it. I wonder it it is when he shows up to camp and what 82 games does to it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Larkin at least plays through a lot of ailments. I am curious how Kane's hip holds up. He is one of the only one's that has been able to put in an extended period of play on it. I wonder it it is when he shows up to camp and what 82 games does to it.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if they have to give him any additional rest, etc.... I know that if I was playing on a divisional rival, I'd be seeing just how resilient either one is every time they play. Maybe that's why the Wings are rumored to be the destination for Trouba, even if that region is where he's from originally. :biglaugh:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Feel like we had the three pillars of team building.

Murray burned through assets and didn't build a prospect pool

Botts couldn't rebuild the prospect pool or a competitive team

Adams built a great pool but is now learning what a complete team looks like
I’d say Adams has mastered his craft, how dare you

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Given the type of players we have, I'd rather have Zucker. Is Tarasenko going to run Cousins and fight him if he takes a run at one of our young studs? Doubtful. He'd just be another name on the long list of players we've had over the years that mayyy give a face wash in a scrum, but wouldn't want any of that physical drama.

Zucker seems to be completely sold on the type of player Ruff wants him to be. Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen, but atleast he's shown it in the past.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Kevbeau

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I disagree, Tarasenko is fine.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd say of all three he is the most complete, top level drafting, recognized this team lacked a bottom six identity and addressed it, addressed goaltending depth.
He’s the worst of the three. He can’t even count or he’d know that he has too many prospects to keep them all and they only decrease in value by fighting each other for ice time on an AHL team set to line up mostly kids. He’s the only one of the three afforded the time to see his plans through. Fact? Well…let’s see where we are with his plan. Nowhere. Missing the same f***ing pieces he’s needed the whole time. He’s the only one of the three who has had ample assets and space to fill those holes. Now he has too many futures sitting around and all those years of cap are just gone forever.

He’s the worst GM in this league. Fifth off-season of his build. The other two combined for only six total. He’s no closer than they ever got. Fifth off-season. No weaponizing cap when they were down bad. No utilizing it to acquire players from strapped teams. No retention in years. No trade to package pieces for the best player in the deal.

Any GM would have this roster in a better spot today. Including the two maligned guys. Only him. Only him.

All he’s accomplished is selling off the players the last two guys brought in…where they all showed how good they actually were when surrounded by talent because their GMs built full NHL rosters. The draft? A drunk monkey could have picked Savoie, Benson and Helenius where they went. Shit I’m pretty sure this board actually did.

No GM has ever done less for their franchise. He’s the problem.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
What hole and "sandwich" did he make for himself that doesn't allow him to make a trade? They had a valuable pick and one of the best prospect pools in the NHL.

Aside from Guetzel, that probably didn't have interest in extending here, what top 6F moved via trade at a price Adams couldn't, wouldn't have made. Or just didn;t because he's inpet and the Pegulas are cheap?
He dug his own hole with not extending Mitts and not trading for a replacement, not even a downgraded 3c replacement.
Just upgrading the 4th line is not good enough.
Gambling on struggling or inexperienced players like Krebs to step up is not one should take after missing the playoffs for numerous seasons.
Its a kind of arrogance to stick to a different approach then every other Gm with going into the season multiple times with the youngest roster.
One should at least acknowledge that the team spending changed since covid and Adams might have some spending restrictions.
But than again he hordes his prospects and has put himself into a corner with always acting too late.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'd say of all three he is the most complete, top level drafting, recognized this team lacked a bottom six identity and addressed it, addressed goaltending depth.
And how long did it take? An extra year to revamp the 4th line, an extra 2-3 years to get quality goaltending depth.

I don't rank any of the GMs, except that they've all been bad for various reasons. The only thing KA has above the other two is a clear understanding of his lack of experience, and deferring to his scouting dept for draft decisions.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I will say, Ruff now has a lot of big body and physical players to mix with the skill. The roster looks effective. The question is, will the scoring hold up. To be frank, Mitts goal scoring will be replaced as he never scores. Skinners will rely on uptick from everyone else. A healthy Quinn covers most of it.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And how long did it take? An extra year to revamp the 4th line, an extra 2-3 years to get quality goaltending depth.

I don't rank any of the GMs, except that they've all been bad for various reasons. The only thing KA has above the other two is a clear understanding of his lack of experience, and deferring to his scouting dept for draft decisions.
I think Adams is the best of the three at hiring people around him.

If you look at the two coaching hires in Buffalo, the additions in the FO (especially the analytics guys), and hiring Appert in Rochester, Adams has done a quality job on that front, as well.

The biggest knock against Adams has been his patience and unwillingness to give up what it takes to make trades happen for guys that will come here, or can't block a trade here.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Two years to answer your question. Every rebuild has phases and the GM should be graded on those phases. Rebuild is usually 2-3 off seasons, competitive push is usually another 1-2, playoff regular is another 1-2.

He gets high marks for the rebuild but could have done better to insulate the youth. Whoever is drafting it is under his tutelage and has been very good.

Competitive push, he had a chance last year to pull it off in one year. The team overachieved two years ago and he didn't really do anything in season to build on that. Last year is the year they should have either been close or sneak in as a wild card. The team flat out regressed, Tage and Tuch were hurt and Quinn missed half the season. He should have addressed goaltending and a top 6, he didn't so he gets dinged there.

This year is where the team should be taking a leap and they are positioned to. He addressed goaltending depth with captain bigot. He addressed the bottom 6 in one day, he has a respected coach who will not let the Granato shit slide. If he can swing a deal for Ehlers It would be a complete success. If the teams regresses again and he does nothing to wake it up, I think that is a conversation we have at seasons end,much like Granato, can this leadership team take the team to the next level, we will see at the end of next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad