GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Yes. And there is still the possibility of doing more, particularly in trade. Granted with how he has gone about his job, he’ll be trying to make trades next summer and finally succeeding after spending a year where he should’ve been adding sand to his lineup last summer and doing nothing, or adding a legit three both of the last two summers. And I don’t even know if the guy that he just signed is a legit three.

Full marks to him for going out and doing what he said that he would do. I think people have just lost patience with the idea that their content to think internal improvement is going to solve all of their problems. That’s the kernel at the heart of this. He’s trying very hard to sell the guys that he’s assembled as his top six forwards and top four defenseman are good enough without changing coaching voices around them or the personnel around them.

The last bolded part is dead on for me. Most people thought that he should bring in a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman, and now they're grading him against their own expectations. KA said he would be aggressive, he did not say which pieces he would be aggressive for, and as I previously mentioned he told us where he wanted to add.

He thinks his top 6 and top 4 are good enough. He's assembled a true grinding line. He acquired legit goalie depth.

So in my mind the interesting debates for his roster construction are the following:
  1. Are the top 6 forwards good enough? (Tage/Tuch/Peterka/Cozens/Quinn/Benson)
  2. Are the top 4 dmen good enough?
  3. Can Krebs handle the 3C role? (I was going to ask "Is it smart that KA assumes he'll be able to handle that role", but I think we know what everyone's response to that would be)
Just thinking about #1, I like the top 6. I think Benson is gonna blow up, people may think I'm delusional but I think he's a 60 point player this year. And Quinn was my prediction for our breakout player last year before he got injured. So if (and that's a big if), they can stay healthy, there's a very real chance that Skinner's and Mitts' production can be compensated by those two.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The last bolded part is dead on for me. Most people thought that he should bring in a top 6 forward or a top 4 dman, and now they're grading him against their own expectations. KA said he would be aggressive, he did not say which pieces he would be aggressive for, and as I previously mentioned he told us where he wanted to add.

He thinks his top 6 and top 4 are good enough. He's assembled a true grinding line. He acquired legit goalie depth.

So in my mind the interesting debates for his roster construction are the following:
  3. Can Krebs handle the 3C role? (I was going to ask "Is it smart that KA assumes he'll be able to handle that role", but I think we know what everyone's response to that would be)
Just thinking about #1, I like the top 6. I think Benson is gonna blow up, people may think I'm delusional but I think he's a 60 point player this year. And Quinn was my prediction for our breakout player last year before he got injured. So if (and that's a big if), they can stay healthy, there's a very real chance that Skinner's and Mitts' production can be compensated by those two.
  1. I think the top 6 forwards are skilled enough, yeah I really do. I mean a lot of it has to come down to if we can stay healthy because we’re screwed if we have multiple guys go down for extended periods (but any team would) but if our top 6 is

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch

Zucker - Cozens - Quinn

Then I think that’s a good enough top 6.

2. Individually the top 4 is great, but not when 3 of the 4 are the same types of players. The only way this d core is going to be successful is if the forwards buy into the defensive game too. I love that we have an actual defensive line now but we’re going to need the other 3 lines to actually buy in if we’re going to have any real chance. Far too many times guys left wide open in the slot or guys just floating around. Can’t have it. Espically with the make up of that defense. Can they be successful if that happens, of course. But they’re going to look bad if the forwards don’t give a shit still and that’s just how it goes.

3. Unless Krebs steps up this year in some way than no, that third line is gonna be the anchor for us. I really hope he can but have we even seen enough to suggest that?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

I don’t think your delusional, but I think it may be premature to expect that big of a jump from Benson this year. I think he lacks the skating speed and shot to do that. Tuch had an inconsistent year last year and at times floated through games. It was reminiscent of his days on VGK. I think Cozens is a better match up C then play driver. So as to #1 I don’t think they are good enough. Peterka also cooled a bit when he went up the line up because he was deferring to the other two more. I would have liked to seen a more established 1/2 w to to take Skinner’s spot. A healthy Quinn should make up for some of the production.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Utilizing your 1st rounder(close to a top 10 pick), to acquire an immediate help for the roster which is what ALL reporting was saying, is something I would say is a splash. Especially at the standard Kevyn has handled prior business, I would say would be a splash-like move.

Of course we all would like GMKA to make smart deals, but his inaction from years prior where holes could've been addressed, where they could've become competitive, (which could've shifted the perception of the organization favorably), is at the 'chickens have come home to roost' point.

This unfortunately leads to those become desperate in an effort to hold onto their job. Trading a 2nd Rounder for a 4th line RFA, where Malenstyn probably didn't have many suitors looking for his services, feels like desperation to me.
I would agree with this hot take if other teams were moved their 1sts for a roster player. Add in the type of impact player that you expect most likely has a No Trade Clause.

The worst part is how little faith so many of you have in our top guys. 2 seasons ago they missed the playoffs by 1 point with a worse roster.

They have better depth and better goaltending to help that.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT and HOOats

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
  1. I think the top 6 forwards are skilled enough, yeah I really do. I mean a lot of it has to come down to if we can stay healthy because we’re screwed if we have multiple guys go down for extended periods (but any team would) but if our top 6 is

Zucker - Cozens - Quinn

2. Individually the top 4 is great, but not when 3 of the 4 are the same types of players. The only way this d core is going to be successful is if the forwards buy into the defensive game too. I love that we have an actual defensive line now but we’re going to need the other 3 lines to actually buy in if we’re going to have any real chance. Far too many times guys left wide open in the slot or guys just floating around. Can’t have it. Espically with the make up of that defense. Can they be successful if that happens, of course. But they’re going to look bad if the forwards don’t give a shit still and that’s just how it goes.

3. Unless Krebs steps up this year in some way than no, that third line is gonna be the anchor for us. I really hope he can but have we even seen enough to suggest that?
Unfortunately, the best result we can hope for is having a weak playoff team that gets easily bounced in the 1st rd. I know most of us are starved for playoffs and would settle for that, but I absolutely will HATE to have a Leafs 2.0 type of team.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
if Adams was indeed poking around on players like Ehlers and Necas I think it shows he doesn’t actually believe his top six is good enough yet
It sounded like they were close on Ehlers but the extension was the hang-up. Then it sounded like.they touched base after the draft to keep in touch. I wonder if Ehler's agent comes back a little to reality after see the big spending season, not really spend to the gill's on a player like Ehlers. That may lead some credence to getting a deal done.

Unfortunately, the best result we can hope for is having a weak playoff team that gets easily bounced in the 1st rd. I know most of us are starved for playoffs and would settle for that, but I absolutely will HATE to have a Leafs 2.0 type of team.
We have no idea how this team will react to the playoffs. It really comes down to how does the top 6 handle the physical play and the "go till you can't go anymore" mentality. If they fold like the leafs, then we are in it. They could also elevate like the Panthers did, I could really see Cozens enjoying the extra time after the whistle.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Zucker - Cozens - Quinn

i think the top 6 could and will be 'good enough". BUT, they don't have the complete game breaker (and not all teams do). They don't have a 1st team all-star (McJesus, Pasta, Crosby, Ovie, Matthews, Tkachuk, Pettersson, or even Eichel), so that makes me really want to have a 3rd line that can SCORE. Krebs will not bring that.

It's like have two modest/solid scoring lines and then 2 grinder lines. if you wanna role with the top 6 as stated, then 3rd line needs to be like 05-06 Sabres 3rd line where everyone on that line can pot anywhere from 20-30 goals.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
We have no idea how this team will react to the playoffs. It really comes down to how does the top 6 handle the physical play and the "go till you can't go anymore" mentality. If they fold like the leafs, then we are in it. They could also elevate like the Panthers did, I could really see Cozens enjoying the extra time after the whistle.
I'd say there might be some potential for this team to play more like FL, but that won't be for the next couple years. They need a lot more experience and weight for that.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
i think the top 6 could and will be 'good enough". BUT, they don't have the complete game breaker (and not all teams do). They don't have a 1st team all-star (McJesus, Pasta, Crosby, Ovie, Matthews, Tkachuk, Pettersson, or even Eichel), so that makes me really want to have a 3rd line that can SCORE. Krebs will not bring that.

It's like have two modest/solid scoring lines and then 2 grinder lines. if you wanna role with the top 6 as stated, then 3rd line needs to be like 05-06 Sabres 3rd line where everyone on that line can pot anywhere from 20-30 goals.
Yeah, the top 2 lines and the 4th line look good but idk what rheb3rd will look like unless Krebs takes a leap

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We definitely need center depth. Even if everyone clicks and is playing well enough, if one of Tage, Cozens, Krebs, or Lafferty goes down I don't know who we plug in or slide over. Kulich? Savoie? Ostlund? Or try Quinn there? At least with Girgensons you know you could use him in a pinch.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
if Adams was indeed poking around on players like Ehlers and Necas I think it shows he doesn’t actually believe his top six is good enough yet
"Good enough" and "as good as it could be" are different standards though. Can always improve, but that doesn't mean we don't have enough now.

The concerns about scoring depth are valid, but they tend to ignore the unique fact that we have one D that could score 25 and two others who could score 15. We have a ton of offense coming from our top 3 D, so to me it makes sense to balance them with some more conservative forward play at this point in the build.
As things stand, there will be a lot on Benson's shoulders. Zucker is the mid 6 insurance if Benson can't carry the load, but I share your confidence in him.

He did 11-19-30 in 71 last year as an 18yo playing a responsible game with a variety of linemates. If he gets 2W time with Cozens/Quinn and PP2 time, reasonable expectations are 15-35-50. I think he's going to show real improvement after a restful, productive summer and with a full NHL season's worth of experience downloaded to his supercomputer IQ. He's the type to take opportunity and run with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad