GDT: Free Agent Frenzy!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Eh what can you do except bet on the Oilers to win the Stanley cup? Guaranteed money.

Jeff wasn’t gonna do here what he will with McDavid.
I actually figured it would be a team like edmonton or Pittsburgh just solely on the fact that he needs a strong play driver in order to be effective. Either one of those teams would make sense on a cheap deal and he’ll put up numbers if he played with one of those top guys.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Here's my take fwiw.

Aside from Kane, I didn't expect any big swings in UFA at F. There seems to be zero appetite to get into any deals beyond 2024/25 there. That immediately takes you off of most UFA lists (not that the Sabres would even be on them in the first place).

Adam's 'flex' plan for filling in the top 6/9 is (1) improve through a trade if possible, (2) adding one more prospect to the roster, probably Savoie or Kulich, and (3) in the case of injury, Zucher being bale to fill in on any of the top 3 lines.

Their center position still has huge question marks with Krebs in the mix and hoping that Thompson/Cozens will return to 2022/23 production.

My patience is running thin, and while I didn't expect him to be able to remake this roster through big UFA signings, it does seem like with Adams, what you see is what you get.

He needs to make a trade to address either the 3C or add something to the top 6.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I actually figured it would be a team like edmonton or Pittsburgh just solely on the fact that he needs a strong play driver in order to be effective. Either one of those teams would make sense on a cheap deal and he’ll put up numbers if he played with one of those top guys.
He’s scored 92 goals the last 3 years not being effective.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Can I say that a good coach wouldn't watch more than two shifts and leave Skinner on McDavid line?

You can't do the shit he does and doesn't when the standard is playing with the best player in the world
Yeah I know but he’s not effective anywhere else doing that shit without a top end play driver. He’s going to do the dumb skating and no look passes regardless of what line he’s on. May as well take advantage of his scoring touch around the net with a guy like McDavid who can find him easier than anyone in the league imo.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can I say that a good coach wouldn't watch more than two shifts and leave Skinner on McDavid line?

You can't do the shit he does and doesn't when the standard is playing with the best player in the world
You’re going to be wrong.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
He’s scored 92 goals the last 3 years not being effective.
He’s effective when he’s with a guy who can drive play. You can’t watch him nightly and honestly think he was worth that contract. He brings negative value to your pp and he’s only on it because of his contract. I think he’s a good not great player but his contract was just a burden (I mean not really because we don’t even use the cap space) but I don’t mind swapping him out for zucker I just wish there was another move

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He needs to make a trade to address either the 3C or add something to the top 6.
If they want to make the playoffs, they need both. Look at the teams in the conference, almost all of them have improved or not gotten worse. It's hard for me to imagine that we can make the playoffs with this roster, given the huge competition in the conference.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I guess we can wait and watch that I am not and then you can pretend I never said it

How you feeling about my issue with Adams from THREE OFF-SEASONS AGO that everyone shit on?
Jury is still out on Adams. I’m not sure he’s up to the task but he’s not acting like a GM that’s in trouble or panicking. It seems like they’re just building through the draft. I don’t know when or if they start getting more aggressive to win now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It's time to drop the offersheet hammer. Overpay someone really good. If they match you f*** over a GM who you can't work a deal with anyway. Then offersheet someone else. And continue until someone let's them go or there are no more players left to offersheet. Screw everyone's cap.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He’s effective when he’s with a guy who can drive play. You can’t watch him nightly and honestly think he was worth that contract. He brings negative value to your pp and he’s only on it because of his contract. I think he’s a good not great player but his contract was just a burden (I mean not really because we don’t even use the cap space) but I don’t mind swapping him out for zucker I just wish there was another move

He certainly isn't worth his contract... but... you're talking about 75% of wingers in the league that need a play driver... its why most play drivers are Centers not wingers

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
He certainly isn't worth his contract... but... you're talking about 75% of wingers in the league that need a play driver... its why most play drivers are Centers not wingers
Yeah but maybe 10% do the stuff skinner does on the regular. There’s a reason why Carolina basically gave him away. I think he’s an effective player 5 on 5 who’s at his best when he’s creating offense off of turnovers created by himself. He’s not good at creating for others but he’s got some good quality’s around the net and creating for himself 5 on 5. All the extra baggage i don’t care for. Too many blind passes, soft back checks, and his bitching/crying about it the entire time on the ice. I’ve seen him too many times like have a guy beat only to do some ballerina skating thing that does absolutley nothing. If there was anyway at keeping him for like 6M or less I would be all over it

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I feel like people are willfully ignoring that on a team of soft and easy to play against players Jeff Skinner stood alone as the softest and easiest to play against. In games that have mattered for years he is the lowest effort guy

Tell me again how that's going to be rewarded with first line ice time next to the best player in the world desperately trying to win a cup

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I feel like people are willfully ignoring that on a team of soft and easy to play against players Jeff Skinner stood alone as the softest and easiest to play against. In games that have mattered for years he is the lowest effort guy

Tell me again how that's going to be rewarded with first line ice time next to the best player in the world desperately trying to win a cup
The only way he’s gonna survive is playing on that line or with Leon lol he can either be pretty useless but still put up okay points playing with one of the 2 centers or he can be totally useless and play with whoever in the bottom 6 and do virtually nothing You’re getting bad either way so I think you gotta Atleast try him on those lines and if it doesn’t work cut your losses and play him minimally

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
The roster as it is currently composed could easily make the playoffs if Ruff is an improvement. Dahlin is incredible, we know that we have a top 6 that can score, and Quinn is going to have a huge year. Any of Savoie, Benson, or Kulich could pop off, and it wouldn’t be that surprising. UPL had a strong year and Levi looks like he will be a good starter in the league.

But even if that ends up being true, it doesn’t mean Adams did a good job. He has left us with zero depth to absorb injuries in the top 6, and a hope and a prayer at 3C. If JJP is injured, we are looking at Benson and Greenway both in the top 6.

^^^ This is assuming no more moves are made to add a top 6 forward and 3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad