GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Today at Noon EST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is most likely moved July 13?

• Horny

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • Duclair

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Bobrovsky

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • No one

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So assuming we sign Balcers to a 1M deal...

We then have to move out approx. 3.4M before the start of the season, even with putting Duke on LTIR. Assuming the roster is something like this:

Swaggy-Barky-Cousins
Huby-Bennett-Reino
Balcers-Lundell-White
Lombo-Luosty-Horny
Staal(750 K)

Weegs-Ek
Fors-Monty
Carlsson-Gudas
Staal

So who are we moving out? Probably Gudas? That still wouldn't be enough money because we'd need to replace his spot. We probably need to move both Gudas and Monty. It's a real pickle.
Funny enough, the Ducks need defense. Not sure we would be interested in taking back Monty (too similar types we already have), but we could use physical veterans (Gudas)

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I feel like trading away the one physical dman we have would be a mistake. Our defense is already crappy, if anything we need to add to our defense
Yeah but with what money? Someone has to go, and if Zito feels the need to sign Balcers then I assume he feels that our offense as is isn't good enough. So he's not gonna trade away any forwards. Gudas and Monty are fine, but we can replace them with cheaper options in free agency that will still do an ok job. Both bring certain elements that are useful, but both are also prone to defensive lapses at times.

Reactions: HockeyRulez

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah but with what money? Someone has to go, and if Zito feels the need to sign Balcers then I assume he feels that our offense as is isn't good enough. So he's not gonna trade away any forwards. Gudas and Monty are fine, but we can replace them with cheaper options in free agency that will still do an ok job. Both bring certain elements that are useful, but both are also prone to defensive lapses at times.

Zito will probably ship someone away from the roster before he trades the Bunnyman who's taking 750k away for no particular reason.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

We then have to move out approx. 3.4M before the start of the season, even with putting Duke on LTIR. Assuming the roster is something like this:

Swaggy-Barky-Cousins
Huby-Bennett-Reino
Balcers-Lundell-White
Lombo-Luosty-Horny
Staal(750 K)

Weegs-Ek
Fors-Monty
Carlsson-Gudas
Staal

So who are we moving out? Probably Gudas? That still wouldn't be enough money because we'd need to replace his spot. We probably need to move both Gudas and Monty. It's a real pickle.

We don’t need to trade anyone… You should go back to your calculator…

Duclair will go to LTIR and we will run it back !

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
After doing some very VERY thorough scouting (AKA using hockey-reference.com) i'm starting to think that next seasons offense might be more suited for the playoffs than the stacked roster from last year. Oh and wouldn't be shocked if Staal would end up being a great Chiarot replacement for a fraction of the price.
If we can acquire a Marchment at the deadline, I concur. It would be a grittier forward group, and more suited to the way Maurice wants to play. I agree about Staal too. In limited minutes, he's still good. That means Ek, Weegs, and Fors are gonna have to carry heavy minutes, but maybe they acquire a D at the deadline too to spread out some of the minutes .

My calculator is fine. We need to shed 3.4 M.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013

Swaggy-Barky-Cousins
Huby-Bennett-Reino
Balcers-Lundell-White
Lombo-Luosty-Horny
Staal(750 K)

Weegs-Ek
Fors-Monty
Carlsson-Gudas
Staal

What's the math on this? Capfriendly has Florida at 2.25 over, add a league min deal and it's 3 million over, LTIR Duclair and you're fine.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Well, in fact, Zito cannot proceed into the next season without having a solid plan on getting rid off Duke because he just signed three guys, if Balcers is also signed then that's four, who will make the Panthers non cap-compliant once Duke is determined to be at 100% health.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What's the math on this? Capfriendly has Florida at 2.25 over, add a league min deal and it's 3 million over, LTIR Duclair and you're fine.
Damn I guess I screwed up the numbers somewhere. How did we go from being so tight and needing to shed Horny, to now we're fine? Weird.

"Teams do not receive full cap relief when a player on a one-way NHL contract is reassigned to the American Hockey League, or is loaned to a team in another professional league."
Well that's a problem. That puts us over the cap again.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
"Teams do not receive full cap relief when a player on a one-way NHL contract is reassigned to the American Hockey League, or is loaned to a team in another professional league."
They get some cap relief, though. Here be link:

The amount of Cap Relief that a team gets from assigning a player to the AHL is the lesser of their Cap Hit and the NHL Minimum Salary + $375,000 (Buried Threshold). Therefore, if a player with a Cap Hit less than the Buried Threshold is sent down, their full Cap Hit no longer counts on the Team's total cap hit. If a player has a Cap Hit greater than the Buried Threshold, if they are sent to AHL the team's Cap Hit is the player Cap Hit - Buried Threshold.

Next season, you can bury up to 1.125M cap of a guy's cap hit in the AHL. If he costs more than that, the rest counts normally against the NHL cap.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
But, they are not “sending him down”, Bunnyman is already down. He is listed on the non-roster list of players.maybe if he makes the NHL team and they “send him down” that all kicks in.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Damn I guess I screwed up the numbers somewhere. How did we go from being so tight and needing to shed Horny, to now we're fine? Weird.
Cap was never an issue if the plan was to let G and Marchment walk (just most of us didn't want this). Right now Florida is at 740k space, after optioning Sjalin they'll be at 1.5 million with 18 players. Sign E. Staal and Balcers to league min deals and Florida is exactly at 3 million over with a full team. I wouldn't say they're fine, it's just they'll have an issue in January and not now lol

I was like why on Earth would Zito, or even Tallon have Bunnaman on a one-way deal but then I see it's a Chuck Fletcher deal :laugh: This quote is incorrect, a one way contract can be buried, it just means Bunnaman makes that amount even in the AHL. NHL allows you to bury a player, but for salary relief you only get the minimum NHL salary (750k in 2023)+ 375k. So for Bunnaman, Florida gets the full salary removed, but using let's say Huberdeau as an example, if you bury him, Florida would still have a cap hit of 5.9-1.1=4.8 million. This is also known as the Wade Redden rule.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008

Well that's a problem. That puts us over the cap again.

I can't speak for everyone but for me shedding Horny was a "must" if they wanted to keep March/another player with a similar cap hit.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I can't speak for everyone but for me shedding Horny was a "must" if they wanted to keep March/another player with a similar cap hit.
I was in the same boat, I just got numbers screwed up somewhere along the line. Oh well. We should have a pretty good team heading into the playoffs then if we can acquire the new Marchment at the deadline(yes I said it again).

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I wonder if Deni is injured longer than expected. Bit weird to sign two bottom line forwards and a mid six tweener with three open spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad