Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part IV: Summer School

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
While I hated the Stralman move as well, I can't bash Gorton too badly for it.

Yes, he gave Boyle the same AAV, but only 2 years, compared to the 5 year deal Stralman got.

I think the reasons behind signing Boyle were thus:
-Needed more offense from the blue line. Boyle, while clearly declining, had scored 36 points the prior season to Stralman's 13. The rest of the Rangers blue line outside of McDonagh avergaed less than 20 points that year.
-McIlrath still looked like a legitimate prospect that just needed more time, and they didn't want to block him with a long-term contract.

Obviously, it was the wrong call in retrospect, but it's not impossible to see what they were trying to do. And honestly, I think it was Girardi that they chose over Stralman, not necessarily Boyle. Once they signed Girardi to that contract extension, Stralman's days were numbered. That's the much more egregious error in my book.

Pretty much this. The real issue was extending Girardi the season before, but I'm not beating that dead horse anymore

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Its never been true.

I actually think that if he were to get to UFA, we'd be his top choice.
We have some sources here who have implied that. I'm more apt to believe them rather than everyone involved in the the media shitstorm that we've been subjected to in the last week

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
And I totally see Panarin coming here too.

I’ve always been a big Panarin fan and posted about him when he was on his way out of Chicago and also mentioned how there could be some turmoil between Torts and him (there doesn’t seem to have been though).

But what scares me is that there are almost no good UFAs on the market. Will Panarin be an 11m forward when he hits the UFA market? 9.5m?

I love him because he cannot be shut down. The big difference between the top stars and guys like Ziba and Kreider and the likes are that the top stars cannot be shut down, Panarin compensates for that. Finds open ice and can take it from there.

But he is not a top top forward in the NHL. Giving him top dollar is risky. 7x7, no problem whatsoever. But 11x7??

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’ve always been a big Panarin fan and posted about him when he was on his way out of Chicago and also mentioned how there could be some turmoil between Torts and him (there doesn’t seem to have been though).

But what scares me is that there are almost no good UFAs on the market. Will Panarin be an 11m forward when he hits the UFA market? 9.5m?

I love him because he cannot be shut down. The big difference between the top stars and guys like Ziba and Kreider and the likes are that the top stars cannot be shut down, Panarin compensates for that. Finds open ice and can take it from there.

But he is not a top top forward in the NHL. Giving him top dollar is risky. 7x7, no problem whatsoever. But 11x7??

9x7.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Cleaning this up from the last thread...

Arizona traded #20 and #53 (sound familiar?) to Detroit for #16 and Datsyuk’s contract. It was a hockey trade that turned out exceedingly well because Chychrun is going to be an excellent defenseman. They didn’t take the contract for the pick.

Arizona’s 2016 draft was outstanding.

That trade doesn't happen without Datsyuk's contract. Period. It wasn't a hockey trade. It was a massive gamble (that failed) made by a desperate GM that cost him a possible franchise defenseman.

Holland needed to clear space to make a run at Stamkos. There's your trade. Holland already had his own 1st and 2nd. Only reason why he got the extra 2nd was because Chayka was in love with Chychrun. Arizona had a zillion prospects. That 2nd was expendable

A hockey trade would have been 20 and 53 for 16. The Rangers just traded 26 and 48 for 22. No contracts involved.

It's stupid to argue this. Arguing semantics when the point was there are several examples of a GM desperate to unload a contract who will pay a price in either draft picks, draft position or prospects to get it done.

Holland would NOT have traded 16 had Datsyuk's contract not been involved. It cost him Fabbro or Chychrun. Holland ends up with the third best of the three. Next to no chance he passes on the better BCHL defender in Fabbro. To this day, Wings fans want him fired over that move.

So yes, Foote and Callahan for Tampa's first or whatever is both realistic and has precedent in the league.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Postulating 2019-2020 Top 9 line:

Kreider Zib Buch
Panarin Chytl Zucc
Namestnikov Andersson Kravtsov

:D

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY

I would pay that man. Not only does he possess scoring aptitude, but he is a great at distributing the puck and being creative. I like creative forwards.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
No Zucc, Krav on the 2nd line and Howden on the 3rd.

Krav and Chytil need to be a thing.

Do you see a Zib -> Chytl -> Andersson -> Howden type of Centre depth by 2019-2020?

Zucc is an interesting story. Hayes, no problem with moving, ironically. Zucc, for some reason, whether it is his cost/effectiveness, his heart, and that he is a good player, may make sense to keep. I am more prone with moving a younger C like Hayes <!!!> instead of Zucc. And that may very well be because of how any Centre's we actually have that will be pushing for spots. I think the positioning elements within our organization play a huge role in perception.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Do you see a Zib -> Chytl -> Andersson -> Howden type of Centre depth by 2019-2020?

Zucc is an interesting story. Hayes, no problem with moving, ironically. Zucc, for some reason, whether it is his cost/effectiveness, his heart, and that he is a good player, may make sense to keep. I am more prone with moving a younger C like Hayes <!!!> instead of Zucc. And that may very well be because of how any Centre's we actually have that will be pushing for spots. I think the positioning elements within our organization play a huge role in perception.

I don't think all 3 of Howden, Chytil and Lias stay at C.

If Chytil and Lias can prove that they're ready to handle NHL minutes at some point this season, Hayes would be gone for sure IMO (this may happen before they even have a chance to prove this.)

Zucc is a declining player who is going to get a raise. I don't want to be the team that gives him a lifetime achievement contract.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I don't think all 3 of Howden, Chytil and Lias stay at C.

If Chytil and Lias can prove that they're ready to handle NHL minutes at some point this season, Hayes would be gone for sure IMO (this may happen before they even have a chance to prove this.)

Zucc is a declining player who is going to get a raise. I don't want to be the team that gives him a lifetime achievement contract.

As avid fan of the Rangers and exploring the team's road map, it sure would be nice to have a homegrown C who has high offensive potential. I really want him to stay at C, and I do think Andersson is a nice C who plays all areas of the ice well.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hoping Zucc could be similar to Aroldis Chapman this deadline. Trade him for a Torres type prospect, then just re-sign him.

IMO Zucc takes a major discount to stay in NY

Reactions: TheTakedown

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Found another example.

Hawks traded Teravainen -- their best forward prospect at the time -- and Bickell for a 2nd and a 3rd. Pure salary dump trade.

Bickell had one year left which is why Carolina had to pony up more than they wanted.

Callahan has two full years left. That should soften the return.

Sadly, this trade is yet another example of the "outrageous expectations" for a GM like Gorton.

Reactions: mschmidt64

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
If our roster stays the same, I think we could seriously finnish with less than 50 points next season like the AVS 2 years ago. If coach Quinn has a hard time transitioning to the NHL, we could be all time awful.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Gorton has done nothing this summer. Nada. And it’s getting very late.
It's not his fault if the trade market sucks.

The cap went up almost $5 million from last season to this season. Trades just aren't going to happen as frequently if teams have more cap space to sign free agents and to extend their own players.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Going back to the good chemistry we saw last spring, will Zucc and Chytil lock up together again? Does Fast find that spot with Kreider and Zib?

Assuming we enter September with this group of forwards, what are we rolling? (interested in what we're actually going with, as opposed to what you think we should go with)

PS - Much in the same way Pionk became a pleasant surprise (and Berezgalov didn't work out), my gut is that it's Ville Meskanen is shot out of a cannon in camp and steals that spot from Lettieri and Lindqvist.

For Meskanen - 24 goals and 9 PPG at Loggia, "The Rangers made the decision (to sign) an easy one...They really want me, they're giving me a chance - and that's all I need."

Go get it, sniper.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad