BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
100%. Not every article is going to be a fluff piece. They back it up with why they think it, and I happen to think they will be wrong. I loved the draft and July 1, but the Ullmark deal was still terrible IMO.

He didn't mention Lysell all off season until the money ran out on Monday. I think he is still hoping to get a RW that will settle on a 1 year 2 mil deal. We will see.
I think you are right but I think we are better positioned for the deadline playing the kids and banking cap. Why bet on a value bet when you can position yourself for the top deadline targets.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
I rather done this then signing Max Jones

Obviously I’m not the professional here just think this is an excellent bargain for what he brings..
Always wanted to see what he could do with the Bruins. He seemed to do ok during the tank season and for whatever reason, been a 15-18 point guy since. maybe he'll match that 30 point season again playing with a better team.

Reactions: BergyWho37

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Always wanted to see what he could do with the Bruins. He seemed to do ok during the tank season and for whatever reason, been a 15-18 point guy since. maybe he'll match that 30 point season again playing with a better team.

He's always had promise...but Beecher seems to address our 4th line and I just love his speed and FO %

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I know he's eligible and I seen him at Gloria the other day and he is definitely not ready to compete for a spot with the big club
Well, the kid might as well go back to school, like they say you can't teach size. I am glad we dodged that bullet and did not sign Poitras long-term...

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Lysell had better numbers in Providence then Debrusk did, no reason why he can't make this team and score 15-20 goals, he has the speed and skill. This kid gets a lot of hate on these boards, hope he is ready to prove a lot of people wrong.
I think what stops a lot of players from making the jump to the NHL, despite having speed and skill, is the ability to adapt to the faster pace of the game and the need to think the game faster - make quicker decisions. We’ll see if Lysell makes that transition. I hope he can.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd take a chance on Jakub Vrana for 1mil. Great at scoring off the rush which we're missing with Debrusk gone.

I wasn't in favor of him as a pan A or Plan B. But where we are today they need one more vet to compete in camp in September, and vrana might just be the best you can for 1 year 1 milion

I'd agree, if he fails, you send him down. If he beats out someone like Lysel, it's only cost you 137K

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
If it’s worth anything at all, I’m with you on Lysell… But I think more of Geekie than you.

Way I see it:
Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie

Who you choose to call the second line or the third line is up to you.

Geekie in over his head cost the Bruins in the playoffs. Needs a depth role.

They have one open spot in the lineup at 2nd or 3rd line RW. Geekie scored 17G in 76 games mostly in the bottom six. Is it outrageous to suggest he may be able to score 20-25 goals on the RW with Marchand & Coyle? Maybe some PP time. He’s 25 years old, he’s right in that pocket. I prefer to keep the cap space and use our guys internally for the regular season. If they fail, make a move at the TDL.

They are absolutely a Cup contender. Top 8 team in the league

Geekie was fairly dreadful top 6 and PP in the playoffs. Ended possession often.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think they're (we're) hoping one of Merkulov or Lysell surprises everyone and becomes an 18 - 22 goal guy -- that would be really helpful, but probably not likely.

I always play the "how many goals for each guy" game and I always overestimate, but I'll try to be realistic here:

Pasta - 47
Marchand - 24
Zacha - 23
Lindholm - 21
Frederic - 20
Coyle - 18
Geekie - 18
Brazeau - 13
Lysell - 12
Beecher - 10
Jones - 8
Kastelic - 7

That's 221 (and all seemingly attainable, IMO) --- without counting other forwards that will be in the lineup from time to time.

Only two teams scored over 300 last season.

Assume McAvoy, Lohrei, Zadorov combine for 25 and Carlo, Peake, Lindholm another 15 that's a total of: 261

Which is pretty solid, but not exactly the 87 Oilers, either.
(Again, not counting other forwards/defensemen)

I think those are reasonable projections. The caveat of course is we don't know how well the new combinations are going to gel and how that's all going to shake out in terms of production, but we said the same last year and that turned out pretty good.

I don't think it's a terrible forward group by any means, just that it's a bit light on at least initially and it's likely going to take some time to find its feet. There's solid potential, and I think your estimates reflect that, but they have to actually go and make good on it. Certainly going to be very intruiging how that all plays out.

Reactions: sarge88

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Geekie in over his head cost the Bruins in the playoffs. Needs a depth role.

Geekie was fairly dreadful top 6 and PP in the playoffs. Ended possession often.

Why are we blaming Geekie? Geekie had as many goals as Coyle, Zacha and Beecher combined.

He wasn’t intended to be a top 6 player but zacha was playing so poorly he got demoted to the 3rd line in favor of Geekie.

If zacha came even remotely close to doing his job even slightly, Geekie wouldn’t have been forced into a top 6 role.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Athletic tried to say we had the worst offseason

Ok dork let’s see if you feel the same way when your fav player is being stretchered off the ice or placed in the quiet room in the playoffs because a 6’6 freight train caught your boy with his head down. And our fans encourage it!

He also thought that Hampus was a top 5 worst contract in the NHL when it was signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad