BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Athletic tried to say we had the worst offseason

Ok dork let’s see if you feel the same way when your fav player is being stretchered off the ice or placed in the quiet room in the playoffs because a 6’6 freight train caught your boy with his head down. And our fans encourage it!
The Athletic is an irrelevant rag, I’m surprised they’re even still in business. I’d pay them no mind. It’s not different from every pundit predicting this is the year the Bs are finally a lottery team…. Only been hearing that for about a decade at this point.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
When you see the top 9 actually written out like that my gut reaction is it looks woefully inadequate. But need to be patient. Have to see just how far Poitras and Lysell (and maybe Merkulov) can progress, how well Frederic and perhaps Geekie too can handle extra responsibility, how much a 36-year old Marchand has left in the tank, just how good Lindholm can be for us.

Don't think it's being too negative to say that the forward group as is isn't going to be good enough for the spring in October. Sweeney has basically admitted as much. But that's ok. It doesn't have to be. There's time. I suspect the pretty stacked defense plus Sway will be relied upon to keep things tight in the first 2-3 months while our offense sorts itself out. We see how that plays out and adjust accordingly.

Every year in his short coaching career Monty has had quite a different challenge to solve. No reason to bet against him getting the job done again next season.

I think they're (we're) hoping one of Merkulov or Lysell surprises everyone and becomes an 18 - 22 goal guy -- that would be really helpful, but probably not likely.

I always play the "how many goals for each guy" game and I always overestimate, but I'll try to be realistic here:

Pasta - 47
Marchand - 24
Zacha - 23
Lindholm - 21
Frederic - 20
Coyle - 18
Geekie - 18
Brazeau - 13
Lysell - 12
Beecher - 10
Jones - 8
Kastelic - 7

That's 221 (and all seemingly attainable, IMO) --- without counting other forwards that will be in the lineup from time to time.

Only two teams scored over 300 last season.

Assume McAvoy, Lohrei, Zadorov combine for 25 and Carlo, Peake, Lindholm another 15 that's a total of: 261

Which is pretty solid, but not exactly the 87 Oilers, either.
(Again, not counting other forwards/defensemen)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The Athletic is an irrelevant rag, I’m surprised they’re even still in business. I’d pay them no mind. It’s not different from every pundit predicting this is the year the Bs are finally a lottery team…. Only been hearing that for about a decade at this point.
Think the article he's referencing was the one by Dom Luszczyszyn. At the start of last year his model predicted the Bruins to finish the season with 103pts.

Athletic is worth the $ IMO

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Bruins survived a season with a mix of JVR and Geekie playing on the same line as Pasta. If they end up with Freddy at 2RW until the TDL it’ll be just fine.

Him a coyle have always been great together and he works well with MArchand because he’s a smart player. The Bruins will be fine until the TDL. Make a deal then.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Looks like Donny is very happy with lysell production in providence last year.
He has a few issues I hope he is addressing

Playing within the system. Coach called him to task during the year on this, and for all purposes I think he got the message. You can be creative but within the confines of the system. He was definitely drawing outside the lines far too often. Coach was smart to reel him in.

Durability. He has has a couple of concussions I believe, and a season ending injury not related to concussion. So there are some concerns if he can handle the NHL. Hopefully he puts on a bit of mass this summer.

Attitude. I think goes back to point one. I believe coach got his message across, but will he maintain that better attitude.

He definitely has the skills and skating to be a productive NHLer. He just needs to put the work in on the “other side” of the game.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He has a few issues I hope he is addressing

Playing within the system. Coach called him to task during the year on this, and for all purposes I think he got the message. You can be creative but within the confines of the system. He was definitely drawing outside the lines far too often. Coach was smart to reel him in.

Durability. He has has a couple of concussions I believe, and a season ending injury not related to concussion. So there are some concerns if he can handle the NHL. Hopefully he puts on a bit of mass this summer.

Attitude. I think goes back to point one. I believe coach got his message across, but will he maintain that better attitude.

He definitely has the skills and skating to be a productive NHLer. He just needs to put the work in on the “other side” of the game.

Also it will be hard to judge in the short term of the regular season, whether Lysell will be a guy who can stand up to the rigor of playoff hockey. I hope it goes well, but I am fairly convinced there will be at least one more veteran in the top 9 at the end of the season, who is not in the system today

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Also it will be hard to judge in the short term of the regular season, whether Lysell will be a guy who can stand up to the rigor of playoff hockey. I hope it goes well, but I am fairly convinced there will be at least one more veteran in the top 9 at the end of the season, who is not in the system today
Maybe, maybe not. I think a lot will be on how Potrias bounces back. He shows he can play again and produces well then they may not need to pick up anyone other than depth. I am banking on him more than Lysell producing.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. I think a lot will be on how Potrias bounces back. He shows he can play again and produces well then they may not need to pick up anyone other than depth. I am banking on him more than Lysell producing.

But even if Poitras hits, they still also need lysell,, Merkulov, or Brazeau to hit as a top 9 (maybe top 6) wing. My money is on Brazeau from that group, I have seen that he can be on the ice in playoffs, i look at his lack of production as being a concern, but hope it was mostly usage reasons.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Lysell had better numbers in Providence then Debrusk did, no reason why he can't make this team and score 15-20 goals, he has the speed and skill. This kid gets a lot of hate on these boards, hope he is ready to prove a lot of people wrong.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I think they're (we're) hoping one of Merkulov or Lysell surprises everyone and becomes an 18 - 22 goal guy -- that would be really helpful, but probably not likely.

I always play the "how many goals for each guy" game and I always overestimate, but I'll try to be realistic here:

Pasta - 47
Marchand - 24
Zacha - 23
Lindholm - 21
Frederic - 20
Coyle - 18
Geekie - 18
Brazeau - 13
Lysell - 12
Beecher - 10
Jones - 8
Kastelic - 7

That's 221 (and all seemingly attainable, IMO) --- without counting other forwards that will be in the lineup from time to time.

Only two teams scored over 300 last season.

Assume McAvoy, Lohrei, Zadorov combine for 25 and Carlo, Peake, Lindholm another 15 that's a total of: 261

Which is pretty solid, but not exactly the 87 Oilers, either.
(Again, not counting other forwards/defensemen)
Your numbers look pretty good to me.
I would add another 10 goals to the aggregate for other call ups to score.
Brazeau's total might be low, I think he can hit the 18 goal mark, if he stays healthy.
You forgot to add Potsy to the list, he should get 15.
I think 280-290 is attainable.

Reactions: sarge88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Think the article he's referencing was the one by Dom Luszczyszyn. At the start of last year his model predicted the Bruins to finish the season with 103pts.

Athletic is worth the $ IMO
100%. Not every article is going to be a fluff piece. They back it up with why they think it, and I happen to think they will be wrong. I loved the draft and July 1, but the Ullmark deal was still terrible IMO.

He didn't mention Lysell all off season until the money ran out on Monday. I think he is still hoping to get a RW that will settle on a 1 year 2 mil deal. We will see.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Wait a minute. Teammates loved playing with Jake?! Now I was told he was a distraction and they hated him. Crazy! :sarcasm:

Hoping for a big year from McAvoy. Hes gotta get back to being rough and tough.
Yeah the fanbase's character assassination of him when he was going through concussion symptoms and covid, then the trade request was a real black eye as far as I'm concerned. The players loved him. He could have done some things different for sure but the vitriol was worse than it should have been

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Even if these guys don’t want to be traded it’s usually in their best interest to not spend their career on one team. Jake especially should benefit from a change.

A guy like Krejci wins a Cup and then plays another 12 years with trash line mates. He could easily be a HOFer if he moves around to 3-4 organizations all of whom likely want him as their #1.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Even if these guys don’t want to be traded it’s usually in their best interest to not spend their career on one team. Jake especially should benefit from a change.

A guy like Krejci wins a Cup and then plays another 12 years with trash line mates. He could easily be a HOFer if he moves around to 3-4 organizations all of whom likely want him as their #1.
A pretty great point. Never thought of that before.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
That was last season, when he was only 19. He's 20 years old now, HUTCH.

You still don't know that he's starting in Providence. Put away the crystal ball, Nostradamus.
I know he's eligible and I seen him at Gloria the other day and he is definitely not ready to compete for a spot with the big club

• Haha
Reactions: Carbonated Puck

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

He might have been a HOF if Bruins don't blow 2019 and 2023 (mostly injuries that year), if he has 3 maybe 4 cups then maybe.

He's 197th on the all tie point list, how high would be have had to get to be a hall of famer? Do you think he would have been an MVP candidate elsewhere? Had more playoff success? He probably needed another 2-300 points, and maybe another cup or two to be a serious candidate

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

Prime Krejci is such a great memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad