BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You nailed it. its a big question and he's a long shot for sure, but with his Hockey IQ/smarts and his determination, hopefully it helps make up for his lack of speed, plus I like the underdog story he has going, so I'm rooting for him.

I like him a lot too. Hopefully he's working on his skating this summer.

Reactions: TCB

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I agree they aren't a cup favorite, but like I said might be one 25-30 goal guy away from there (if the on paper team plays as they should). I would've called them top 10 in the league last year, a bit less than their record would indicate. A "probably should get through the first round but no further" team. Hoping they get to a slightly better point total with less reliance on OTL points and take the next step to a "definitely should get through first round and from there make some noise" team. My point was with another solid scorer they might be better still than that. Their scoring right now will be a bit harder to shut down, but not hard enough to go all the way without some good fortune IMO.
Have you all looked at other teams rosters? There is zero reason to suggest this Bruins team isn’t a Cup contender. They have as much as a chance as Florida Dallas Edmonton NYR etc. Defense is stacked, Lohrei can progress and really be a wildcard. Poitras too. McAvoy Pastrnak Swayman Marchand followed by Zacha Coyle Lindholm(s), Freddy Geekie… and now with some physicality injection… this team should be in the conference finals.

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
Have you all looked at other teams rosters? There is zero reason to suggest this Bruins team isn’t a Cup contender. They have as much as a chance as Florida Dallas Edmonton NYR etc. Defense is stacked, Lohrei can progress and really be a wildcard. Poitras too. McAvoy Pastrnak Swayman Marchand followed by Zacha Coyle Lindholm(s), Freddy Geekie… and now with some physicality injection… this team should be in the conference finals.
What is your definition of a cup contender? What I stated was I think with adding a 25-30 goal scorer, they might be a top 3 cup favorite. To me that's different than a cup contender. I think that definition for me is maybe about top 8, the teams that should get by the first round and have a chance at the cup, even if it's more an outside chance. I think that's about where they sit on paper right now. So we might agree depending on what definition of a cup contender we're using.

Of course the games aren't played on paper, so we'll have to see if they over/under perform.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What is your definition of a cup contender? What I stated was I think with adding a 25-30 goal scorer, they might be a top 3 cup favorite. To me that's different than a cup contender. I think that definition for me is maybe about top 8, the teams that should get by the first round and have a chance at the cup, even if it's more an outside chance. I think that's about where they sit on paper right now. So we might agree depending on what definition of a cup contender we're using.

Of course the games aren't played on paper, so we'll have to see if they over/under perform.
They have one open spot in the lineup at 2nd or 3rd line RW. Geekie scored 17G in 76 games mostly in the bottom six. Is it outrageous to suggest he may be able to score 20-25 goals on the RW with Marchand & Coyle? Maybe some PP time. He’s 25 years old, he’s right in that pocket. I prefer to keep the cap space and use our guys internally for the regular season. If they fail, make a move at the TDL.

They are absolutely a Cup contender. Top 8 team in the league

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
They have one open spot in the lineup at 2nd or 3rd line RW. Geekie scored 17G in 76 games mostly in the bottom six. Is it outrageous to suggest he may be able to score 20-25 goals on the RW with Marchand & Coyle? Maybe some PP time. He’s 25 years old, he’s right in that pocket. I prefer to keep the cap space and use our guys internally for the regular season. If they fail, make a move at the TDL.

It'd be so nice if Geekie was that guy. Or some combination of Geekie taking a step and and Lysell sticking around. That happens, all else being equal, I think they're in great shape.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

I think you’re a much better team if Geekie is 3RW, and 4RW after the deadline.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What’s your line of thought here?

Is it that you’re not a big fan of Geekie?

Think Brazeau will play higher in the lineup?

Believe Lysell is the guy for the second line?
My line of thought is I’m not as high on Geekie as most. Good guy for the regular season as 3RW with Poitras.

Also I’m of the opinion that integrating a young forward with Marchand and Coyle is good for everyone, and I’m a bigger Lysell fan than most.

A trade deadline acquisition of a cheap scoring winger to either pop above Lysell or to plug in at 3RW seems perfect to me.

But we’re a looooong way from that, and I reserve the right to change my mind,

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
My line of thought is I’m not as high on Geekie as most. Good guy for the regular season as 3RW with Poitras.

Also I’m of the opinion that integrating a young forward with Marchand and Coyle is good for everyone, and I’m a bigger Lysell fan than most.

A trade deadline acquisition of a cheap scoring winger to either pop above Lysell or to plug in at 3RW seems perfect to me.

Geekie has increased his production consistently for the past 3 seasons. He scored 17 in the NHL. Nothing to sneeze at. I hope Lysell can make a leap & stick with the B’s. Either way I’d prefer to give Geekie the opportunity at 2RW than spend on some has been like Tarasenko

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
My big issue with the "size" crowd in the past and what has led me to arguments is that you need guys who can skate, push pace, and bring energy, not just be a big, intimidating dude.

I think the Bruins got the right mix here just listening to scouting reports. Guys like Max Jones and Kastellic should bring that jam while also pushing the pace of the game. Zadorov's resume speaks for itself.

Hopefully the days of slow, bumbling goofballs like Nick Ritchie are behind us now. Same with Maroon and Forbort.

Really looking forward to this season.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
He is eligible 20 years old and will start the season there

He isn't close to NHL ready and if you didn't notice it yesterday with the bruins signings they are going for a big strong players he definitely is a part of the future but not at least for the first half of the season
adios.... the rule was 20 or 4 years.... Poitras was 19.....ineligible for the AHL because the minimum was 20

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

If it’s worth anything at all, I’m with you on Lysell… But I think more of Geekie than you.

Way I see it:
Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie

Who you choose to call the second line or the third line is up to you.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I feeeel like Poitras will start in Providence coming off shoulder surgery but I think most of Boston thought there wasn't a chance in hell he'd get NHL games last season. You never know with him.

I thought there was a decent chance poitras would start the year in Providence, but honestly after FA, I just don't see how it happens. Right now they have 1 hole in their top 9 and that assumes Poitras is in it. If he is out of it they have 2 gaping holes. Now maybe Merkulov comes in and is better in camp and gets the 3rd line C job to start the year. (I'm not betting on that)

If not that, what works? Is Beecher your 3rd line C? It would be interesting to see what he could do with better linemates, but I don't think so. Who else? Patrick Brown? Play Frederic at C, and then who fills that wing spot? Max Jones?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If it’s worth anything at all, I’m with you on Lysell… But I think more of Geekie than you.

Way I see it:
Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Frederic - Coyle - Lysell
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie

Who you choose to call the second line or the third line is up to you.
Yeah that could happen. And it’s going to change so much trying to lock in on second line v third line is an exercise in futility. Does Geekie play more minutes than Lysell in December in Long Island? Maybe.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad