BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Let’s see if I can do this off the top of my head:

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D

Jones a great fourth line energy player, PKer, forechecker and shit disturber. Former first round pick. Tufte another former first rounder HUGE, decent scorer at AHL level. Oesterle seasoned AHL/NHL vet likely AHL bound. Jeffrey Viel MEAN, and is probably a better player than given credit for. Koepke Providence scoring depth. Sweezey mean D for AHL and depth
From Min Wild Coach October Camp. Don't count Letieri out...he could make a push.

Wild head coach Dean Evason stated during the preseason that Lettieri surprised him a little bit. Everyone talks about how fast he is and offensive but his grit level and the way he expressed himself physically was the biggest surprise to Evason after watching him in camp.

Lettieri's speed will be seen playing with two more speedy guys which will make for a good fourth line. It won't be a full checking line, although it could be, the fourth line has the potential to be a speedy line that could score 5-on-5 but also be a shutdown line.
"He's a right shot and gives us another opportunity to take faceoffs," Evason said on the recall of Lettieri. "He had a really strong camp, played not only skillfully but gritty as well. So that's what we are looking for him to bring to our hockey club."

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D

Jones a great fourth line energy player, PKer, forechecker and shit disturber. Former first round pick. Tufte another former first rounder HUGE, decent scorer at AHL level. Oesterle seasoned AHL/NHL vet likely AHL bound. Jeffrey Viel MEAN, and is probably a better player than given credit for. Koepke Providence scoring depth. Sweezey mean D for AHL and depth
If you leave the goaltending separate, the IN is clearly vastly superior to the OUT. I don't think anyone can argue against that.
While people are talking about Lysell, they seem to also be forgetting about Poitras. The team as it is right now could start him in Providence, but if he plays onto the roster again who knows? Zacha can play wing and all problems solved even without Lysell or Merkulov.
People are also not considering that in the playoffs Vancouver was led by Lindholm and Zadorov and they took Edmonton to the brink and could have been that team in the final against Florida. Demko doesn't get hurt who knows?

So ultimately you have to look at what we did and what the competition did and compare. We were almost top of the division last year. We added more (and better) than the Leafs. We added more than Tampa. We added more than Florida. Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Montreal, nothing of note that made them better aside from Ullmark maybe. So no real added competition. That means barring a complete injury filled disaster season we are in the playoffs again and I think only New Jersey has gotten substantially better in the other division unless you count Washington who are tough to figure out in terms of net gain/loss with the big PLD question at the center. So if you think about it, absolutely no reason we can't go all the way next year as is.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah, Brazeau needs to have an impressive training camp otherwise he's probably on waivers. Like you said, he could be very good or he could've just gone on a heater.

I asked a Ducks fan about Jones and they said "he's a psycho, he'll fit right in." He is injury prone though.

Other than below, what other injuries has Jones sustained?

After playing the first two games of the 2021–22 season, Jones tore his pectoral muscle and missed the remainder of the season.[41] He returned for the 2022–23 season and the Ducks sought to return him slowly, limiting his playing time by playing him lower down the lineup after Jones had missed the previous season. As the season wore on, his playing time and responsibility was increased, moving up to the first two lines playing with Troy Terry and Mason McTavish.[42]

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My only concern with Lysell is the reports of his attitude, the me first, self contractor stuff. If he plays a team game and isn't a locker room issue then I am all for them giving him a look. They need him to step up and produce, if he could make up for DeBrusks 18 goals and 40 points it would be huge with the speed he brings. Hopefully he is a player with all the tools that will know how to use them and not blow the chance or feel entitled to it. A shoot first player is fine, I don't really look at that as being selfish, I wish we had a few more shoot first guys to be honest.

Get Carlo or another vet to mentor him and hopefully he succeeds. Merkulov, from what I have seen is a tweener. I really expect nothing from him. NHL shot but not much else.

As Conor Ryan and Evan Marinofsky agreed on the Bruins Beat (or was it Poke the Bear?) podcast, it's time to find out what -- and who -- Fabian Lysell is.

If it doesn't work out, at least they'll know, and there's certainty value in that.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
Thinking about this roster, it feels like they're 1 25-30 goal winger from being a top 3 or so cup favorite. Maybe I'm being wildly optimistic but I see potential for great goal tending, great D, a great 4th line, but still over reliant on Pastrnak + scoring by committee. Thinking about it, that might be the plan. If this roster is in a good spot, which they should be (they're better on paper than last year), then maybe there will be a trade deadline option. Again, could be rose colored glasses after some good news yesterday, but this should be a fun team to watch.
I like the moves so far, I am not sure where this leaves the team as a cup favorite. The team still feels like it is built for the regular season. Too many of their top players (Zacha, Lindholm the dman and Pasta) disappear in the playoffs for them to be a real contender. Adding Poitras and Lysell will not help with team toughness. The new Lindholm was good in this years playoffs, so maybe he can help create space for Pasta, adding grit to the dmen and fourth line will also help.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He’s been a bit injury prone throughout his career which kinda slowed down his development.

He is an agitator on the ice, big kid who plays a pretty north south style game… pretty fast straight skater , allows he to get on top of defense on the forecheck… goes to the front of the net.

I feel like he lacks offensive instincts, and has brick hands. So I wouldn’t expect a ton of points for him 20- 30 point energy player is prob what you’re hoping for.

Can be used on penalty kill, will fight(usually in defense of a teammate) super liked in the locker room/ and by his teammates… fans liked him … just wanted to see another step forward offensively.

I think he’ll for sure be an every day player for you…. 4th line mostly but can fit in on a checking 3rd line with low offensive expectations.

Will take the occasionally stupid penalty, lazy hook/slash variety

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Honestly I don't see anyone on the roster making over $4m that they would buy out. I am assuming you can't buy out an arbitration award right after?

No, the arbitration award has to be over 4M to open the window. Sways award would be a shoo in for that to open.

Teams can walk away from the award but just lets the player be an immediate UFA with team left with nothing.

Or player can be traded with new team responsible for the award.

If Im wrong dom will straighten me out.

Reactions: HustleB and Dr Hook

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
That is a big ask. Brad went (IMO) to a whatever scrappy 4th liner to a top line excellent player in a very short amount of time.

I think you’re jumping a big gap here but to your credit, Marchand also had a longer cup of coffee than Merk first and has Lysell even played an NHL game?

Marchand was a 3rd line guy in a second line role his first full season and only became a first line threat in the playoffs that year and then was more so a second liner for awhile before he exploded and became elite

Marchand also was inconsistent in the playoffs for a bit. He didn’t have that great of a run in 2013 and 14, and had down year in 2012 when the whole team had the cup hangover

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I like the moves so far, I am not sure where this leaves the team as a cup favorite. The team still feels like it is built for the regular season. Too many of their top players (Zacha, Lindholm the dman and Pasta) disappear in the playoffs for them to be a real contender. Adding Poitras and Lysell will not help with team toughness. The new Lindholm was good in this years playoffs, so maybe he can help create space for Pasta, adding grit to the dmen and fourth line will also help.

I do not see them as an elite club or true Cup contender.

Not yet.

But given what they acquired (and subtracted) through both draft and free agency, they're closer than they've been since, say, 2019.

The most heartening development for me is that given his draft selections over the past three seasons, especially this year, Sweeney finally seems to understand that size, physicality and truculence matter.

The free agent signings this year make this change of "philosophy" -- and direction/trajectory for the Bruins going forward -- quite clear.

Given his track record over nearly ten years, I never, ever thought I would say this about Don Sweeney.

The draft selections will have to develop, and of course that will take time, especially relative to Letourneau, who is a high-risk, high-reward gamble. I give Sweeney and his scouts great credit for taking that gamble. It might not work out, but at least they were willing to swing for the fences rather than play it safe.

All of this shall unfold as it will.

Chronically impatient Bruins fans will need to adjust both their expectations and their timeline.

It should be fun to watch.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No, the arbitration award has to be over 4M to open the window. Sways award would be a shoo in for that to open.

Teams can walk away from the award but just lets the player be an immediate UFA with team left with nothing.

Sure, I would assume the Bruins would walk away off the hook, and I think you are right. I don't like where this whole thing is right now. If they were relatively close, you'd think a deal would have been made by now. That it hasn't makes me think they are at an impasse waiting for the other guy to blink. That said, if they weren't close, would they have traded Ullmark? Or maybe they wanted him moved for cap reasons regardless and got Korpisalo back as your plan B goalie thinking he might end up being the guy? The longer it goes, the more of a mess it seems to be.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I haven't calculated the figure for this year yet, bu I am sure puckpedia or Capfreindly have, but the second buyout window you can only buyout a contract that has an AAV of well over 4 million

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D

I just look at that and keep smiling

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I am happy with the UFA signings so far.
Here is my take:

Goals out ( JDB/DH/JVR) = 48
Goals in ( EL / Brazeau full season/Potsy full season) = 55
EL = 22
JB = 18
Potsy = 15

Defence - a full season with Lohrei playing most of the year and the signing of NZ, our defence is vastly improved. We will be a tough team to play against.

Goalies - this is the wildcard. We all know that Swayze will continue to play at a high level. Korpsy is unkown at this point as is Bussi and or Dipetro.

Special teams - EL should improve our PP1 and PK. Not sure who else other than Beecher, Zacha and Marchand will kill penalties next year? Maybe one of Jones or Kastelic can step up?

Rookies - we really need one of Lysell or Merk to step up and make the team out of camp. I would start the season with Geekie on the second line and ease one of the rookies into the lineup giving them 3rd line minutes.

Future signings - I am hoping Swayze gives us a team discount this year and signs for 6M, leaving around 2M for another winger which we do not need to add until the trading deadline. I would kick tires an offer a PTO to Tyler Johnson / Daniel Sprong.

Can't wait for camp to start and get this going.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just look at that and keep smiling
IMG_3181.jpeg

They took the guys without jam (sans Lauko) and replaced them with pure 100% smuckers. What a day yesterday was.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I feel the new additions will bring some swagger back into this lineup. Zadarov Kastelic Jones etc.. It can go a long way. The Bruins of 2011 fed off of Ference’s swagger. It oozed into the rest of the lineup.

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
I agree they aren't a cup favorite, but like I said might be one 25-30 goal guy away from there (if the on paper team plays as they should). I would've called them top 10 in the league last year, a bit less than their record would indicate. A "probably should get through the first round but no further" team. Hoping they get to a slightly better point total with less reliance on OTL points and take the next step to a "definitely should get through first round and from there make some noise" team. My point was with another solid scorer they might be better still than that. Their scoring right now will be a bit harder to shut down, but not hard enough to go all the way without some good fortune IMO.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D

Will we ever see Vile Viel in Boston?

Please be gentle.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am happy with the UFA signings so far.
Here is my take:

Goals out ( JDB/DH/JVR) = 48
Goals in ( EL / Brazeau full season/Potsy full season) = 55
EL = 22
JB = 18
Potsy = 15

Defence - a full season with Lohrei playing most of the year and the signing of NZ, our defence is vastly improved. We will be a tough team to play against.

Goalies - this is the wildcard. We all know that Swayze will continue to play at a high level. Korpsy is unkown at this point as is Bussi and or Dipetro.

Special teams - EL should improve our PP1 and PK. Not sure who else other than Beecher, Zacha and Marchand will kill penalties next year? Maybe one of Jones or Kastelic can step up?

Rookies - we really need one of Lysell or Merk to step up and make the team out of camp. I would start the season with Geekie on the second line and ease one of the rookies into the lineup giving them 3rd line minutes.

Future signings - I am hoping Swayze gives us a team discount this year and signs for 6M, leaving around 2M for another winger which we do not need to add until the trading deadline. I would kick tires an offer a PTO to Tyler Johnson / Daniel Sprong.

Can't wait for camp to start and get this going.

I think Lysell could be a sneaky good PKer with his speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad