BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Gotta give to get, and that McGroarty kid is good. Would probably need to be a better player than Beecher going the other way tbh.

Only problem is that Korpisalo contract is currently preventing them from signing a scoring winger
They are building a team from the net out.They have two strong goalies and the best 6 D men in the game, if Sway goes down we are sunk. Korpisalo gives us a strong second option. I believe Korpo will push Swayman to be better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I enjoy listening to Felger and Mazz . I really don’t care if they are all that knowledgeable, they are entertaining. I only listen to segments where they talk hockey .
I agree - they are upbeat, silly, at times very funny - no politics….felger every now and then goes a little dinkish but his vibe to me is he’s good person

When Felger train of consciousness spurted out 3-4 years ago ‘Belichick is hiring his kids, his friends, and his friends kids’ and paused and kinda laughed, resaid it realizing it was a fantastic quote. It was foreshadowing of eventual demise of Bill

They seem to be caught up in there family lives because their kids are at that age and just don’t have enough time to cover multiple local sports and why often seem way off what those who are into a team think

F&M are good enough to listen to on a Friday driving down the Cape - just know what they are about

Their callers unfortunately are usually pathetic & why Felger gives them 20 seconds

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They are building a team from the net out.They have two strong goalies and the best 6 D men in the game, if Sway goes down we are sunk. Korpisalo gives us a strong second option. I believe Korpo will push Swayman to be better.
On my HF SIM team I have

Brissout 3.3 M Chicago
Vehmelka 2.75 M Utah
NA Fleury 2.5 M Minnesota

Korpi is in that ball park

5/20 is insanity
But breaks down
Ottawa 1 ~ 8 M
Boston 4 ~ 12 M

If he can play 1/3 of games or 27 games he’s got value

Didn’t like him added to deal but if goalie Bob can work on his technique and build confidence/ behind this D no reason he can’t be good 2

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I agree - they are upbeat, silly, at times very funny - no politics….felger every now and then goes a little dinkish but his vibe to me is he’s good person

When Felger train of consciousness spurted out 3-4 years ago ‘Belichick is hiring his kids, his friends, and his friends kids’ and paused and kinda laughed, resaid it realizing it was a fantastic quote. It was foreshadowing of eventual demise of Bill

They seem to be caught up in there family lives because their kids are at that age and just don’t have enough time to cover multiple local sports and why often seem way off what those who are into a team think

F&M are good enough to listen to on a Friday driving down the Cape - just know what they are about

Their callers unfortunately are usually pathetic & why Felger gives them 20 seconds
Yes , I would prefer if they didn’t have callers at all and just read emails .

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Personally I think they potentially have the 6 best D in the game but Lindholm needs to find his game next year. Last year wasn’t good enough. Too many mental mistakes and caught out of position. He needs to keep his feet moving . He plays well when he is aggressive and moving .

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
On my HF SIM team I have

Brissout 3.3 M Chicago
Vehmelka 2.75 M Utah
NA Fleury 2.5 M Minnesota

Korpi is in that ball park

5/20 is insanity
But breaks down
Ottawa 1 ~ 8 M
Boston 4 ~ 12 M

If he can play 1/3 of games or 27 games he’s got value

Didn’t like him added to deal but if goalie Bob can work on his technique and build confidence/ behind this D no reason he can’t be good 2
Goalies are like players don’t put them in a position that is beyond their abilities. He looks like a guy who can be a strong second option and can fill in if the other goalie gets injured. Reminds me of Hal Gill when he was here. Great 5-6, not so great up in the lineup.

Reactions: DKH

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
Thinking about this roster, it feels like they're 1 25-30 goal winger from being a top 3 or so cup favorite. Maybe I'm being wildly optimistic but I see potential for great goal tending, great D, a great 4th line, but still over reliant on Pastrnak + scoring by committee. Thinking about it, that might be the plan. If this roster is in a good spot, which they should be (they're better on paper than last year), then maybe there will be a trade deadline option. Again, could be rose colored glasses after some good news yesterday, but this should be a fun team to watch.

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
I also wanted to mention... How low drama were the Bruins signings yesterday? No "Lindholm has 3 teams pursuing... AND HERE COMES NASHVILLE WITH THE STEEL CHAIR!" nonsense. Just "yeah looks like these guys are going to the Bruins, noon hits, these 2 guys were signed by the Bruins. Interview said 2 guys: "yeah we talk about when we were in Vancouver that we'd rather be playing for the Bruins, so when they offered we jumped at it". I mean, people talk about the culture being good, but that's some solid proof. I can definitely get annoyed with Sweeney's choices sometimes, but it seems like Bruins management runs a pretty tight ship. No leaks, no drama.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Good points.
If NESN reruns its Free Agency special it’s worth the watch.
Jaffe and Brick both commented on how good Poitras looked yesterday. Said it was pretty remarkable that he put on 9 pounds of muscle while having to rehab the shoulder. And yes as he goes from boy to man maturity it will become easier to do.
They said in the meantime he’s been skating and working on his edges, They said thats key in getting away from bone crushing hits. Being able to spin or move on edge to better absorb a hit. I found it interesting.
Never, ever count this kid out.

No one works as hard as he does.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I haven't been on here for awhile, and am way behind with all the signing activity lately

Does anybody have a summary of what the Bruins did since the Ullmark trade??

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I haven't been on here for awhile, and am way behind with all the signing activity lately

Lindholm 7x7.75m
Zadorov 6x5m
Max Jones 2x1m
Some AHL beef including an enforcer (Viel)

Debrusk, Heinen, Forbort all signed in Vancouver

Boqvist in Florida

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Let’s see if I can do this off the top of my head:

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D

Jones a great fourth line energy player, PKer, forechecker and shit disturber. Former first round pick. Tufte another former first rounder HUGE, decent scorer at AHL level. Oesterle seasoned AHL/NHL vet likely AHL bound. Jeffrey Viel MEAN, and is probably a better player than given credit for. Koepke Providence scoring depth. Sweezey mean D for AHL and depth

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
My only concern with Lysell is the reports of his attitude, the me first, self contractor stuff. If he plays a team game and isn't a locker room issue then I am all for them giving him a look. They need him to step up and produce, if he could make up for DeBrusks 18 goals and 40 points it would be huge with the speed he brings. Hopefully he is a player with all the tools that will know how to use them and not blow the chance or feel entitled to it. A shoot first player is fine, I don't really look at that as being selfish, I wish we had a few more shoot first guys to be honest.
I agree I didn't enjoy seeing that report of him being the "self contractor" but to be honest, I like how he handled the criticism.

Lysell came from a team in the WHL where he had to be the guy. His team was awful and they relied on him to create scoring opportunities on his own.

I remember seeing a video of him taking on like 4 defenders by himself in PROV...it was bad but I think he put his dead down and tried to improve as the year went on. I don't think he tries to be selfish and I don't think he tries to purposefully not utilize his line mates, I think it's just a part of his game that got engrained in him. The "I'm going coast to coast attitude" just needs to go. The kid is only 21, he'll figure it out.

Maybe I'm old school but it doesn't hurt to let these kids hear what they need to work on...and if you have to let the media grab ahold of it to really light a fire under them then so be it

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Lindholm 7x7.75m
Zadorov 6x5m
Max Jones 2x1m
Some AHL beef including an enforcer (Viel)

Debrusk, Heinen, Forbort all signed in Vancouver

Boqvist in Florida
Let’s see if I can do this off the top of my head:

Out:
Ullmark
Forbort
DeBrusk
Boqvist
Grzelcyk
Heinen
Lauko

In:
Lindholm
Zadorov
Kastelic
Korpisalo
Max Jones

Also:
Cole Koepke F
Riley Tufte F
Jeffrey Viel F
Vinni Letieri F
Billy Sweezey D
Jordan Oesterle D
Much appreciated

..now Sweeney needs to sign Swayman for 8 x 8

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Knight

Oct 7, 2010
With the team's clear prioritization of size/toughness apparent, I wonder if Sweeney is exploring Tom Wilson with WSH being over the cap.

Modern goon squad

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mark Kastelic appears ready and willing. Able may be another matter.

ON HOCKEY

The Bruins emphasized speed and size in free agency, and Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov fit the bill​

By Kevin Paul Dupont Globe Staff,Updated July 1, 2024, 10:32 p.m.

Defenseman Nikita Zadorov is 6 feet, 6 inches and 248 pounds.
Defenseman Nikita Zadorov is 6 feet, 6 inches and 248 pounds.DEREK CAIN/GETTY
Please be sure to check back here early next spring, or maybe earlier, to find out for sure if Don Sweeney spent wisely and effectively Monday with his acquisitions of high-profile/high-cost free agents Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov.
Make no mistake, they’re impact guys. The Bruins look like they’ll be better with both in the lineup, and should be better with them in the lineup. Sweeney doled out a combined $84.25 million, his biggest spending day as the club’s resident shot-caller, to bring Lindholm and Zadorov aboard as critically-needed upgrades up front and in back.
Lindholm has hands, hockey IQ and should, noted the nine-year GM, plug seamlessly into the power-play bumper role that lacked a certain, shall we say, pizzazz, chutzpah, and sometimes so much as a clue, without Patrice Bergeron in that spot last season.
Advertisement

Zadorov, the big Russian bear of a man (6 feet 6 inches/248 pounds), will drop directly into the top-four backline group and supply an intimidation factor in front of the Boston net that has gone wanting since the departure of Zdeno Chara, the slightly bigger and more ornery Z, in the summer of ‘20.
Get Sports Headlines
The Globe's most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Enter Email
That “Help Wanted” ad, seeking a bona fide defensive presence back there, went unanswered for four long years. Such was the shadow cast by Big Z. They knew they’d miss Chara. History has told them how much.
With Zadorov aboard, the top four blueliners, filled out by Charlie McAvoy, Hampus Lindholm, and Brando Carlo, now weigh in at 898 pounds and measure 25 feet, 4 inches. Add a foot or so to that for the height of their skate blades and, voila, the NHL’s 31 opposing teams shouldn’t be waltzing through the Black and Gold Forest like they too often have since Chara’s exit.
Some crucial subtext, not directly related to Mssrs. Lindholm and Zadorov, continued to evolve for the Bruins on UFA Day.
Sweeney made clear he wants a faster, harder team to play against. Specifically, he wants skaters who “arrive on time” on the forecheck. I don’t think I was the only one in the press gallery to hear the silent “ding!-ding!-ding!” bell echo around the Guest Street practice facility when he said it.
Advertisement

That’s precisely what he should want after watching his club get booted from the playoffs the last two years by the Panthers, who just won a Stanley Cup with a forecheck-first-last-and-always approach that chewed up the Lightning, the Bruins, the Rangers, and the Oilers. The Panthers won on talent backed by will and force, mainly in the form of an oft-ferocious forecheck, one that punished the Bruins’ defensive group.
Had the Bruins been able to match Florida’s forechecking the last two springs, we might have seen back-to-back Duck Boat parades in ‘23 and ‘24. But they didn’t come close, for pace, will or ferocity. The Panthers didn’t bumrush the Bruins out the backdoor, but they persevered and overcame on speed, unremitting smack and composure. It’s will and coaching that best bring all that out, and the Panthers had bigger will and better coaching, an overall better method.
Adding skilled guys in Lindholm and Zadorov alone, Sweeney well realizes, doesn’t guarantee the boats come rollin’ through the old West End next year, either. There has to be more. If not, then it will be six straight seasons of exiting Stanley Cup stage left out after Rounds 1 or 2.
Sweeney’s most telling moment of the day came midway through his 4 p.m. press conference when he mused over how the day might have been a reflection of losing to Florida.
“I don’t think it’s a direct reference to what we didn’t have,” said Sweeney. “Obviously, Florida’s a good team … do I think we should have gotten to a Game 7 and see what happens? Yeah, I do. I think we left it on the table in [losses] in Game 4 and 6. I am hopeful that these two players tip that scale in our direction moving forward … as I referenced, Elias has been in those top spots. I can’t tell you whether or not he would have done a better job against [Sasha] Barkov than Charlie [Coyle].”
Advertisement

Exactly. There is no knowing. The result was Barkov won out over Coyle, and he could well overcome Lindholm if Boston’s overall attack doesn’t change. Change parts all you want. But the approach, in speed of play and execution and determination, has to change with it. Being a tick behind in today’s game ultimately means being left behind.
“Yeah, 100 percent,” said Sweeney, when asked if he felt his emphasis on improved forechecking was as important as newly acquired headliners.
On follow-up, when asked if he had not liked the forecheck for some time, he added, “Again, some of these guys were just getting to the league, and not knowing what they’re supposed to be … ”
Ergo, Sweeney went out Monday and signed Max Jones, a 6-3 left winger, ex- of the Ducks, who he believes can play the crash-and-bang game.
“How we are going to utilize him is important,” added the GM.
The prior Monday, in the deal that sent Linus Ullmark to Ottawa, Sweeney obtained Mark Kastelic, a 6-4 right shot center — and another candidate for crash-and-bang duty. Another guy with size and legs.
“Son, there’s no reason for you not to be killing penalties,” said Sweeney, recalling his conversation with Kastelic. “So spend this time this summer … and understand what those responsibilities are.”
Sweeney’s overall mantra: speed, size and ability to forecheck and possess pucks. He needs more guys to do that. He thinks the likes of guys like Jones and Kastelic will deliver it. If not, knows now, he’ll have to find someone who can.
Advertisement

NHL UFA Day is always about the who … as in who comes and who goes, who makes what money, who will fill what role. Lindholm and Zadorov turned out to the expensive bling. They’ll help.
But if there is a Cup to come for a franchise that has won a lone title in the last 52 years, it’s about both talent and method. It’s time to pick up the pace of the attack, get after it, son.
If not, UFA Monday ‘24 was simply another lesson in churning the roster.

Kevin Paul Dupont can be reached at [email protected].
Show 65 comments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad