BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like it, but I would expect a Jones-Beecher-Kastelic 4th line, and Lohrei-Peeke as 3rd pair to start the season with Zado with Carlo. Otherwise, it looks right. I like the thinking of Geekie with Poitras and Brad to give that line some beef.
I know absolutely nothing about Jones game, any chance you or anyone else here could give this fan a bit of a better idea of his game pls and thank you

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I had higher hopes for him than what he delivered, but in hindsight, it was not likely to go any other way given his age and miles, and coming off a pretty serious back injury. I appreciate what Don was trying to do in bringing him on, but looking back, it was probably never going to really work out well.
Game 1 against Florida was fun at least

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I know absolutely nothing about Jones game, any chance you or anyone else here could give this fan a bit of a better idea of his game pls and thank you

I watched him quite a bit with the Ducks on the late night west coast games- he is big, decent wheels, and a gritty forechecker who plays with an edge and has some skills (as you would expect given that he was a late first rounder). Maybe our buddy @Zegs2sendhelp can tell us some more. I will say that I will be surprised if he isn't a game-in, game-out regular if healthy. I don't see him as a 13th type forward at all.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I think you’ll be surprised by Lysell, for a smaller skill guy he can play a little greasy from time to time. I’m excited for him to get a look

Would love for Vatrano to come home, he’s kind of an asshole to play against too
My only concern with Lysell is the reports of his attitude, the me first, self contractor stuff. If he plays a team game and isn't a locker room issue then I am all for them giving him a look. They need him to step up and produce, if he could make up for DeBrusks 18 goals and 40 points it would be huge with the speed he brings. Hopefully he is a player with all the tools that will know how to use them and not blow the chance or feel entitled to it. A shoot first player is fine, I don't really look at that as being selfish, I wish we had a few more shoot first guys to be honest.

Get Carlo or another vet to mentor him and hopefully he succeeds. Merkulov, from what I have seen is a tweener. I really expect nothing from him. NHL shot but not much else.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Zacha-EL-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Geekie
Freddie-Coyle-Lysell
Beecher-Kastelic-Brazzeau
Merk
Jones

I like Boqvist but they are going heavy & Merkulov needs to play

Heinen leaving sucks - what he brought was invaluable my one issue add him and they roll

DeBrusk was going in hindsight & they swap out with EL & put Zacha at wing where I like him better

They got about 250 days to trade deadline to see how it works

The D healthy being coached by Jay Leach should be very good

Get Sway in 7-8.5 M

And should be able to grab a playoff spot home Ice round 1
Beecher in the middle - his impact on draws was significant

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I watched him quite a bit with the Ducks on the late night west coast games- he is big, decent wheels, and a gritty forechecker who plays with an edge and has some skills (as you would expect given that he was a late first rounder). Maybe our buddy @Zegs2sendhelp can tell us some more. I will say that I will be surprised if he isn't a game-in, game-out regular if healthy. I don't see him as a 13th type forward at all.
great recap, much appreciated and also my condolences at having to be force fed Duck games :)

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Agree, rest of the team is solid. I love the D and Swayman. Korpisalo will get his wins vs Columbus and San Jose to give Swayman some rest.

The forward group for the first time in years is actually tough to play against. Jones, Kastellic, Frederic, Marchand all grade A pests and Freddy and Kastellic will drop em. Brazeau and Beecher were physical last year and I consider Viel a Darkhorse to make the team as the 13th forward. You try Lysell, who I am not a fan of, with Poitras and Freddy and see what happens. Maybe you sign Sprong for 1.5 at this point or take a flyer on Zadina. Not a fan of either but you can easily bury Zadina in Providence.

At the trade deadline I don't expect Draisaitl, Rantanen, Boeser or Verhaeghe to be available I would expect Vatrano, who would fit in nicely with this teams, Nelson and Konecny to be. Any would solve the top 6 wing issue.

I'm just happy that it looks like the Bruins, for the first time in far too long, will be the hammer and not the nail.

I obviously don't want anyone to get injured....but it's professional hockey and an injury or 5 is inevitible.

If the numbers work and someone needs to go on LTIR, I'd love for them to go after Vatrano at the deadline --- 3.6 cap hit and UFA next summer.

He'd be a great add, if there is still a need up front.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The one thing that could impact Beecher is he doesn’t require waivers.
It may be in play depending on the competition at camp or any other moves. I know that drives a lot of us crazy but it is an alternative used when needed.
yep, the B`s aren`t or wouldn`t be the first team who were forced to send players down solely because they don`t require waivers. Really liked Beecher a lot in his first almost full year with the big club but I hope he`s worked his tail off this summer and hasn`t just assumed he`s penciled in either, could see him and Kastelic being a force on the PK over time, big bodies, long reaches, quick

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

He’s been a bit injury prone throughout his career which kinda slowed down his development.

He is an agitator on the ice, big kid who plays a pretty north south style game… pretty fast straight skater , allows he to get on top of defense on the forecheck… goes to the front of the net.

I feel like he lacks offensive instincts, and has brick hands. So I wouldn’t expect a ton of points for him 20- 30 point energy player is prob what you’re hoping for.

Can be used on penalty kill, will fight(usually in defense of a teammate) super liked in the locker room/ and by his teammates… fans liked him … just wanted to see another step forward offensively.

I think he’ll for sure be an every day player for you…. 4th line mostly but can fit in on a checking 3rd line with low offensive expectations.

Will take the occasionally stupid penalty, lazy hook/slash variety

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s been a bit injury prone throughout his career which kinda slowed down his development.

He is an agitator on the ice, big kid who plays a pretty north south style game… pretty fast straight skater , allows he to get on top of defense on the forecheck… goes to the front of the net.

I feel like he lacks offensive instincts, and has brick hands. So I wouldn’t expect a ton of points for him 20- 30 point energy player is prob what you’re hoping for.

Can be used on penalty kill, will fight(usually in defense of a teammate) super liked in the locker room/ and by his teammates… fans liked him … just wanted to see another step forward offensively.

I think he’ll for sure be an every day player for you…. 4th line mostly but can fit in on a checking 3rd line with low offensive expectations.

Will take the occasionally stupid penalty, lazy hook/slash variety

Thanks for this- I think the 20-30 point energy guy is exactly what he is signed to be- so I hope he can stay off the trainer's table and stay on the ice :)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thanks for this- I think the 20-30 point energy guy is exactly what he is signed to be- so I hope he can stay off the trainer's table and stay on the ice :)
Ya , I think overall bruin fans will like him…. Kinda a buzzsaw/bull in a China shop style player.

As a side bruins fan I like the fit, as long as the expectations offensively arnt too crazy.

Type of things you can expect from him, go to dirty areas…. Get cheap shotted but continue to go there…. Find a way to score a greasy goal, then celebrate into the guys face that cheap shotted him and start a bit of a line brawl

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Yikes, I didn't catch that. Zado is not your typical stay-at-home guy, and Mac can be an adventure going forward at times, too. Could make for some interesting moments :laugh:
I think Zado will play how they coach him to.
Wotherspoon look good as a B, as did Peeke. It's a D friendly system that will only help Zado find his true strengths and not play out of character. JMHO

Reactions: Dr Hook

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I see endless possibilities and I like Max Jones as the 4th line left wing. He brings a physical/agitating element that I think their looking for. Beecher and Kastelic swapping in and out depending on opponent and the way their playing. I also think Kuntar just may surprise and earn a chance, but I guess that would all depends on how Lysell and Merkulov do. Brazzeau is a I guy who I could see stealing that second line RW spot, just when everyone thinks its lysell or Merkulov to win. Geekie I like, but to me he's best suited as a 3rd liner who can play up when needed, and I'm hoping thats where he's at, because if he is someone has stepped up.

Poitras I belive will start out at 3rd line center Under Lindholm and Coyle and progressively earn the 2nd line center moving forward, but I dont see him starting out there from the get-go. Great season ahead, this team as of now is built for play-off Hockey!

Big time physicality on the backend for the first time since the days of Mcquaid, Boychuk,Miller and Big Z. Teams will fear entering the bruins zone and will have to keep their heads up with Chucky, Peeke and Zadarov. Bring on the playoffs... Stanley is returning to Boston!
Yeah , Brazeau has top 6 potential in my book. He’s intelligent and has good hands. One of the nicer surprises last year.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah , Brazeau has top 6 potential in my book. He’s intelligent and has good hands. One of the nicer surprises last year.

At least middle 6. I know a few of us said it yesterday. I think he fits better in a middle 6 role than on the 4th line with this team. Of course this assumes he can continue to put the puck in the net as he did in his regular season stint

Reactions: Gordoff and KOZ37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad