BRUINS GDT Free Agent Frenzy - July 1 NOON (ET) - ESPN+, TSN, SN

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
It's not so much the regular season that concerns me, it the playoffs. Coyle's playoff offensive display left me without words. I have said this before... i like Coyle's game he just is not best suited for the top six center position. He's not bad, not a liability, he just doesn't create.

Playoffs, he got over-matched because playoffs are about matchups and adjustments. Not his fault, I credit him for keeping pace. But in that scenario any offense was negated.

I hope he grows from his regular season success last year and has another banner year. His wingers contributed a lot to his point totals, but some might argue those same wingers numbers were down last year.

There is also the very real possibility that opponents will adjust more this year after seeing him in that roll and his production will regress.

I would just feel so much better with an established true offensive playmaking center on the second line.
I mean I'd like someone more fitting in the role too but who were they going to get? Not enough money to go around for every single need

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's not so much the regular season that concerns me, it the playoffs. Coyle's playoff offensive display left me without words. I have said this before... i like Coyle's game he just is not best suited for the top six center position. He's not bad, not a liability, he just doesn't create.

Playoffs, he got over-matched because playoffs are about matchups and adjustments. Not his fault, I credit him for keeping pace. But in that scenario any offense was negated.

I hope he grows from his regular season success last year and has another banner year. His wingers contributed a lot to his point totals, but some might argue those same wingers numbers were down last year.

There is also the very real possibility that opponents will adjust more this year after seeing him in that roll and his production will regress.

I would just feel so much better with an established true offensive playmaking center on the second line.

I agree about Coyle as the 2C.

My hope is that by the playoff someone steps up enough to allow Zacha to play 2C and Coyle 3C.

Just for example.

What if Lysell hits?

Maybe it’s:

Marchand Lindholm Pasta
Frederic Zacha Lysell
Geekie Coyle Poitras

9 months away. A lot can happen.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It was a good day, added skill & nasty. Rooting for Lysell to blossom.
Gotta hope he does. Someone has to take up for the loss of JDB, whether people want to admit it or not. Now that he's gone, there's a big hole there.

I want Lysell to take this next step, next opportunity and run with it. Monty also needs to give him an opportunity and minutes. Because Georgii didn't get an opportunity at all.

Looking forward to see who steps up.

Reactions: Gordoff and pgm16

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
Good day to be a B’s fan. Landed 2 strong UFAs that should help the team in the years to come. The team’s lack of size and center depth were both exposed in the playoffs, and they took two bigs steps in trying to rectify that.

Still would like to see another offensive-minded winger in the middle six to chip in 20-25 goals… but, can always add throughout the season or at the TDL should one of the kids not be able to step up.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
I’ll again take the position that while I like both signings, I’m not sure how much better we are.

Geekie or whomever stands in for JDB is not as good, and the backup goalie is a total stiff. The upgrade at 2C (yes 2, EL is not a 1) is very good, as is the upgrade at 3LD, but I’m not sure it nets out as some “great day”.

It’s a decent offseason. It would have been a lot better if DS hadn’t blown the Ullmark deal and had filled 2RW with the extra money.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Not sure we will see it but

Zacha-Coyle-Brazeau

could be an interesting second line

Then you go

Frederic-Poitras-Geekie

on the third line

I think Brazeau, until his injury, showed that he has "around the net skills" that aren't easily taught
I think Brazeau can be a 20 goal guy at least with opportunity. Very strong around the net and good hands.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
300 days till playoffs

I want to see lots of Poitras, Lysell, and Merk

Poitras was flying today - looks like he’s on another level
He is on another level. He probably wouldn’t be at the camp if it wasn’t for his injury. Probably just a good time to give it some competitive rehab. He is an nhl talent imo. He already has it and he isn’t even a full grown man. Bruins stole one here.

Reactions: 3B and Oates2Neely

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
I'm very pleased with the Bruins work today.

I do think they are going to have to find another winger. I realize that Zacha can probably move back to wing but they could still use 1 more. Just not sure if it's possible to get more than a "middle 6" type.

Maybe Lysell works out but it would be more ideal if he 1) has to earn his spot, 2) doesn't come in with 2nd line expectations for production.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Not sure we will see it but

Zacha-Coyle-Brazeau

could be an interesting second line

Then you go

Frederic-Poitras-Geekie

on the third line

I think Brazeau, until his injury, showed that he has "around the net skills" that aren't easily taught
With Coyles possession game and hopefully getting Zacha to shoot more Brazeau could pop 20, I would have give him pp2 time as a net front guy.

Freddy-Poitras Geekie is a solid 3rd line.

Again when looking to replace JDB's regular season production it's only 18 goals and 40 points.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I'm pretty damn happy with how day 1 of FA went for us. They needed an upgrade down the middle, Lindholm was the best availble. I think it's a safe bet that he bounces back in a big way between Zacha and Pasta. And Zadorov will be fun as hell.

And almost equally as exciting as the big signings is the show of faith towards Lysell and Merk. There is a top 6 wing spot wide open and ready to be taken. No JVR on a league min type signings (yet at least). Really feels like we see one of them at 2RW opening day to me.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
I did my own analysis using Quant Hockey...I took the top 30 centers over the last five years based on scoring and looked at three things - total points, +/-, and FO%. I've read alot today on these boards as to how Lindholm maybe isn't a 1C. I'll offer this info as proof that he is definitely a 1C looking at those key stats - He ranks 27 out of 30 for points (including what was a down year last year), 10 out of 30 in +/-, and 10 out of 30 in FO%. For those thinking that he was overpaid, you're missing the point of what a complete centerman does (think Bergy and I am NOT putting Lindholm in that class) but he's much better than some are giving him credit for and will be a solid addition to the lineup as a 1C where he will likely also improve the production of his wingers.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
@Sheppy I made this for you

IMG_5586.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan and Sheppy

Ad

Upcoming events