GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If you're evaluating based just on Corsi, you're going to get a mistaken impression of the guy, because he's primarily an offensive defenseman and so is unduly favored by such simple event-based stats. He's gotten better over the years but fundamentally is still a defensive liability compared to the likes of Fabbro or Carrier. He'd need the same sort of sheltering, but even moreso, and we don't have the shutdown types needed to make that work.

EDIT: Some charts for him versus Carrier:

View attachment 891109

View attachment 891110

Short version: yes, he's more offensively capable, but that's more than "compensated for" by his lack of defensive prowess.
Heard, I think there are other things to look at when evaluating d men and totally understand your perspective. I just see a ton of upside there with the right coaches and teammates. Agree to disagree on this.

We have a dead cap of 11 million which will alleviate around the time many are worrying for a drop off. Not to mention we have traded none of our recent first round picks, acquired other first round drafted players, and have acquired multiple first, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

All of these first rounders still have some shine to them and have not arrived:
Svechov, L'Heureux, Kemell, Wood, Molendyk, Surin

This ignores last years 2nd rounders and recent acquisition of Gibson.

It ignores some of the players we acquired as well as Askarov.

We also have two firsts, two seconds, and two (or is it three) thirds in 2025.

I said with Hynes: He was a bad coach who couldn't coach a very talented roster. He had goo talent and couldn't figure it out. He was a nightmare. He stunted development and forced Poile to take a roster ready to compete and continue to try and retool it in a different direction. It just didn't work.

Trotz has taken that roster and added to it, with a few well placed scalpel excisions (still disagree with Duchenne but not after this offseason's moves). He is snapping up some of the older but still productive veterans that are being forgotten, while keeping young talent.

We are set up to get into the playoffs and have a recipe to fix two of the major problems: PP and goal scoring. We aren't quite there on defense, but he tried.

We still have the players, draft capital to be a force later.

We have dead money coming off the books with a rising cap and nothing egregious.

----

And bottom line, this team will be fun again. I will pay to watch stars play. I'm getting a chance to watch Stamkos? Sign me up. I don't care that he is 34. I don't care that he may be overpaid by 1-2 million (he isn't for this year, he had 41 goals last year). I want to watch a team compete, score, and have fun.
Could t agree more with this post.

Reactions: weeze

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
McDonagh: $6.75M
Zucker: $5.3M
Barrie: $4.5M
Beauvillier: $4.15M
---------------------
Total: $20.7M

Stamkos: $8M
Skjei: $7M
Marchessault: $5.5M
----------------------
Total: $20.5M

Nice re-allocation. Even if Stamkos and Marchessault really drop off (due to age, role or whatever) and score only 25 goals each going forward, that'll still be 50 combined compared to 19 between Zucker and Beauvillier last season.
God that is just embarrassingly lopsided

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Agree. Losing McD hurt though, but I definitely agree with that trade off going forward

McD to Tampa for them to lose Sergachev hurts them. Skjei is a hell of a player.

Trotz is going all in. It may or may not work, but dude just laid his sack on the table and said let it ride. What is hurting the team is the total hit for Carrier, Fabbro, and Schenn. All Trotz moves that limit the team's ability to carry an extra skater. He's about $1mil too much on them in total and now he needs to figure a way out of those handcuffs.

Reactions: SouthNash and Enoch

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We have a buttload of picks next summer. Offer someone a 3rd to take Glass off our hands is what I'm guessing. Or trade Fabbro, which shouldn't require a sweetner but would make us worse

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Exactly. You have to project a 23-man roster with our RFAs signed to at least the league minimum. Then we're over the Cap.

Technically correct. The best kind.

We still need wiggle room for some pressbox players but this is probably as close as we have ever made it to the cap

We will clear some current cap hit for callups and inevitable IR time ... just not sure if it will be Glass, Fabbro, Sissons, or Schenn heading out.

We are not yet over the cap based on the CBA ... and that is how this gets determined. None of the qualifying offer amounts are high enough to still count against the cap if a player is sent down to the AHL. Right now there isn't a spot for the RFAs on the big club roster.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
We have a buttload of picks next summer. Offer someone a 3rd to take Glass off our hands is what I'm guessing. Or trade Fabbro, which shouldn't require a sweetner but would make us worse
I'd bet someone would pay something for Glass, or at minimum take him for free. He's still failry young, its only 2.5m, and he had a decent season in 22-23. Someone like the Ducks that have a ton of space, an awful roster and didn't sign any UFAs yet.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd bet someone would pay something for Glass, or at minimum take him for free. He's still failry young, its only 2.5m, and he had a decent season in 22-23. Someone like the Ducks that have a ton of space, an awful roster and didn't sign any UFAs yet.
I'm pretty cynical about that possibility, but that has more to do with seeing how little the Jackets got for several similar Promising Depth Pieces just now.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
I'm pretty cynical about that possibility, but that has more to do with seeing how little the Jackets got for several similar Promising Depth Pieces just now.
Texier is a great comparison. They scored at a similar pace last year. Texier got 2 more minutes per game and consistent playing time due to a worse roster. He returned a 4th and St Louis paid him 2.1 for two years. Glass should be able to similarly get a 4th or 5th I'd think

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It still seems bizarre that McDonagh was mopey to go back to Tampa and his return was greeted by a call from Stamkos just coming off the ice from a workout. Tampa made the rational choice here to not re-sign him, but feels like they gave up part of their soul in the process. Our gain!
Yeah the way it played out was pretty bizarre. I get the age concerns with Stamkos but Guentzel's numbers aren't any better than Stamkos's and they're willing to give him a huge deal but not Stamkos?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It still seems bizarre that McDonagh was mopey to go back to Tampa and his return was greeted by a call from Stamkos just coming off the ice from a workout. Tampa made the rational choice here to not re-sign him, but feels like they gave up part of their soul in the process. Our gain!
Bring back McD
Trade sergachev
Trade Jeannot
Sign Guentzel
Let stamkos walk
Extend Hedman for 4 years

That a whole lot of running in circles to end up in about the same place. Geekie is a good add though

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Texier is a great comparison. They scored at a similar pace last year. Texier got 2 more minutes per game and consistent playing time due to a worse roster. He returned a 4th and St Louis paid him 2.1 for two years. Glass should be able to similarly get a 4th or 5th I'd think
I don't know, then I look at Detroit paying to dump Walman or Ottawa just now to dump Joseph. Granted, there is a term involved on each, not just the 1 year remaining.

Anaheim certainly has room. I'd definitely be calling them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad