Free Agency XIII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
For this team to be better both Adams and Scud must not be on this team. If the Pens don't have better players in their system than these two has beens, then this team is in big trouble.

we do, but we need to get rid of them to have roster spots for people.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The new GM shipped Adams off for peanuts in Carolina(where he was healthy scratched) for a 7th or 6th round conditional pick to the Hawks where Adams was a healthy scratch for quite a few before being picked up on waivers by the Pens where he became iron man.

This new coach/GM are gonna make Adams earn it. He won't be getting a roster spot just cuz.

Scuds is much more of a concern(with his caphit) but we need him to start the season with Maata out. Whether he plays well or poorly, he should be moved if JR and the Pens want to contend this season. For one, theres plenty of D to take his place and two, that money is better spent on rounding out the top 6 even if it's a lesser 3.375M AAV winger. Also if Dupuis just looks washed up, he should be moved as well because theres players that can take his place right now(Megna) and that extra cap space can land you a bigger winger or 2 players combining it with Scuds.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Weak discussion today.

All the FAs are gone, and we don't have the cap space to do anything anyway outside of a trade that probably isn't coming before the season.

Can't see much interesting discussion happening before the rookie tourney, tbh.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Megna. Kapanen isn't going to make the team while Megs could and one injury could put him on 3rd line.

That's pretty much my thought. But if everyone is in the line-up, do you think he stands a better shot at making it than Kapanen? Could Megna outplay one of the guys we expect to be in our top 9 without an injury?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Megna. Kapanen isn't going to make the team while Megs could and one injury could put him on 3rd line.

This. Given the Pens being the Pens I expect to see a decent amount of Megna this year whether he's a regular or not.

That's pretty much my thought. But if everyone is in the line-up, do you think he stands a better shot at making it than Kapanen?

Yeah, he still does. Megna is more physically developed than Kapanen, you wouldn't have to worry about ruining him by throwing him into it. Megna has NHL experience, and Kapanen shouldn't be risked unless he's managed to become NHL ready over the off season.

Could Megna outplay one of the guys we expect to be in our top 9 without an injury?

Possibly. Downie and Dupuis are questionable because of prior health problems, even Bennett is. They could all play but be hampered. Megna takes a decent sized step forward and one of them still has problems, and it could happen. If everyone was 100% could he do it? Probably not, not unless he takes a serious leap forward; which could happen but is highly unlikely.

ObsessedCreative*

At this point I'd just love to see Kap look good enough to earn a shot and the pen's say fugggggg it and he makes the team and we can see what he can do.

Horn - Sid - Kap
Kunitz - Geno - BB

That would be a well balanced top six with a lot of Star-power, work ethic, and youth.

MAKE IT SO MJ! :handclap:

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Back to the leadership discussion a few pages back. Ehrhoff and Hornqvist both were assistant captains on their former teams. I remember hearing and reading after the trade that Hornqvist and Spaling were good guys to have around in the room. So if Scuds and Adams are around for leadership purposes and if Sid & Geno can't lead we're in trouble.

And Megna is more likely to be in the top 9 than Kapanen. He drives the net and has lots of speed. I think if give the oppourtunity, he'd be really good on the third line.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
At this point I'd just love to see Kap look good enough to earn a shot and the pen's say fugggggg it and he makes the team and we can see what he can do.

Horn - Sid - Kap
Kunitz - Geno - BB

That would be a well balanced top six with a lot of Star-power, work ethic, and youth.

MAKE IT SO MJ! :handclap:

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to actually see that really. Kapenen either looks big and physically ready to play in the NHL or he doesn't. It's not as if 18 year olds can't play in the NHL and contribute right away and the Pens are desperate for high end wing help.

Personally, i think the kid has a pretty good shot if he remains healthy at and through camp.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I'm a little late to the party here and hoping someone can clarify re: Kapanen...

Other than comments from JR/Billy G shortly after the draft, is there anything tangible that's happened in the last few weeks that could lead one to believe he has even a fighting chance of making the team, or is this all optimistic speculation?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm a little late to the party here and hoping someone can clarify re: Kapanen...

Other than comments from JR/Billy G shortly after the draft, is there anything tangible that's happened in the last few weeks that could lead one to believe he has even a fighting chance of making the team, or is this all optimistic speculation?

Well Billy G. watched him during the summer prospect camp. Here's the article with quotes from him.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=726712

"He's even better than I thought he would be," Guerin said. "So I was very happy with him. He's just high-end talent, high-end speed. He's a very, very mature kid for his age. Obviously, having his father [Sami Kapanen] playing so many years in the NHL and playing with him and brining him up that way, he's already a pro.

"So he’s ahead of the game in that department, but you just got a little screenshot of what's to come and he's not even 18 yet." ETA: He's 18 now.

ETA: I know he's sustained an injury during the World Championship mini tourney in Lake Placid but i believe it's minor.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

or is this all optimistic speculation?

I wouldn't call it optimistic, more like a reality check about the guys we have, that he would have to beat out.....sort of a low bar thing. imo

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't call it optimistic, more like a reality check about the guys we have, that he would have to beat out.....sort of a low bar thing. imo

Agreed. All the kid has to do is prove he's capable of handling playing with men at this level and he's already got almost everyone else beat in the skills department.

Michael8771*

Our lack of forward/wing depth as it pertains to the top six is really troubling. I still can't believe this issue has not been addressed. In other areas regarding depth on lower lines as well as goaltending and toughness I'm very pleased, but again our biggest need wasn't remedied. And with our cap limitations I don't see it being fixed anytime soon unless a trade happens. And unless KL is traded, which isn't likely, the guys we'd be willing to part with aren't gonna command much in the way of return.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

I think it is a combination of the comments after the draft, the prospects camp and comments after the camp and the dire need for talented wingers.

However, in the past 8 years, out 120 1st round draft picks that were selected outside the top ten, only 4 players played more than 10 games in the year immediately following their draft. An additional 4 players played 5 games or less. Tikhonov, Perron and Matteau were selected outside the top 20.

Player | Team | Age | Height | Weight | Games Played
Perron | STL | 19 | 6'0" | 200 | 62
Tikhonov | PHX | 20 | 6'2" | 190 | 61
Grigorenko | BUF | 18 | 6'3" | 200 | 25
Matteau | NJD | 18 | 6'1" | 215 | 17
Forsberg | NSH | 18 | 6'1" | 188 | 5
Laughton | PHI | 18 | 6'0" | 177 | 5
Baertschi | CGY | 19 | 5'10" | 181 | 3
Z Boychuk | CAR | 19 | 5'10" | 185| 2

Kapanen is 18, 5'10" and 180 lbs and resembles a twig. Players of his caliber, age and size don't seem to make the NHL in the first year, and I hope that the Pens are smart enough to give him time to develop.

Michael8771*

I think it is a combination of the comments after the draft, the prospects camp and comments after the camp and the dire need for talented wingers.

However, in the past 8 years, out 120 1st round draft picks that were selected outside the top ten, only 4 players played more than 10 games in the year immediately following their draft. An additional 4 players played 5 games or less. Tikhonov, Perron and Matteau were selected outside the top 20.

Kapanen is 18, 5'10" and 180 lbs and resembles a twig. Players of his caliber, age and size don't seem to make the NHL in the first year, and I hope that the Pens are smart enough to give him time to develop.
Agreed, I think Kapanen needs at least a year, maybe two to develop before he enters the league. We shouldn't use the fact that we are anemic at that position to rush him before he's ready.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think its impossible for him to make the team, but I think chances are pretty damn low. I'd be surprised if he gets a 9 game tryout. I'd be shocked if he made the team after that. I think there's a good chance that Megna would currently be a better top 6 option than Kapanen. And I don't think Megna is currently better than Dupuis, Downie, Bennett or Spaling barring significant injury setbacks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I won't dismiss the possibility out of hand. Anything could happen, I guess. But I have to think that, if absolutely nothing else, he's simply not physically prepared for the rigors of a full NHL season. I mean... look at the kid. He's obviously got a year or two of growing to do. I feel like if he makes the team... it's because just about everyone else up front looks completely lost at camp. Which is obviously not a good thing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I can't agree more with this. We need to let him grow up a little. He needs to pack on a couple more lbs. At least 10-15lbs at a minimum but he needs to do that over the course of 2-3 years so that he keeps his speed. I played a lot of quick speedy hockey at 5'10, 165lbs. I came back from the Navy and played at 5'10, 200lbs of solid muscle...slow. Much slower. And although I could out muscle just about anyone and lay down some hits, my breakaway speed and ability to beat dmen with burst was gone. Went from a 1RW to a 3RW just like that.

So I believe we need to be slotting him in the lineup 2 years from now as an occasional call up, and 3 years from now as a regular. If he gets a couple games in the pre-season, awesome. The more the merrier. Some to begin the season, just fine by me. But in the grand scheme, he needs to develop at a comfortable rate, not an accelerated one because Ray Shero refused to draft a forward.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Pens could have enough for Kane if so desired. Three way team deal, Martin traded for young forward. Young forward & Pouliot & maybe a draft pick for Kane. If the Pens added Kane, I would be much more confident heading into the playoffs. I also would trade Sutter for a Physical Center if possible.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Dupes isn't ready to go I could see the team giving Kapanen 9 games just to see how he handles the step up in competition, if he looks good in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00