Speculation: Free agency III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
I'd rather have Plekanec at 6M$. Staal was horrible last season.

People forgot that Plekanec was dominant for the first 30 games of the season with 26 pts before the horrible collapse. We all know what happened after but my point is that Plekanec still can be a pretty good producer.

So if MB signs a legit top 6, I wouldn't even be surprised that Plekanec goes back on the 60pts+ mark.

Oh can we please move on from the Plekanecs legacy. He is just not what a team needs down the middle. Too weak, and somewhat of a *****.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Can you guys imagine if after trading Subban for Weber, MB doesn't sign any names or make any trades to improve the top 6? He couldn't possibly be this dumb, could he?

He's definitely going to use his space. We'll see who he gets in.
The issue I have is we're better with PK than Weber, now and in the future. So it was completely useless of a trade.

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
If the Oilers don't get lucic after trading Hall, I will die of laughter. It will remind of the time Chiarelli thought he had Iginla and he went to the Penguins.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Lucic is deciding between Dallas and Edmonton, there really isn't a decision. Assuming money is similar, Texas is tax free state, they have a much better team and much better location. As for McDavid being a factor, Dallas has Benn and Seguin.

I can't believe it's between these two cities because there really isn't a choice between them.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If Lucic is deciding between Dallas and Edmonton, there really isn't a decision. Assuming money is similar, Texas is tax free state, they have a much better team and much better location. As for McDavid being a factor, Dallas has Benn and Seguin.

I can't believe it's between these two cities because there really isn't a choice between them.

If I was Lucic, yeah, Dallas would be my choice. But why would Nill commit $6+ to a forward when he desperately needs dmen and a goalie?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He's definitely going to use his space. We'll see who he gets in.
The issue I have is we're better with PK than Weber, now and in the future. So it was completely useless of a trade.

I prefer Subban as well. For an offensively challenged team like we are, I also believe he was the better fit.

While I believe it's a downgrade from Subban to Weber, I think it's likely that our collapse had something to do with lack of leadership, lack of respected veteran presence and the fact that Subban was at odds with his teammates and a source of distraction.. not saying it's Subban's fault but it was what the situation was. So perhaps, Weber will improve that, and perhaps that improvement will supercede the downgrade on the ice from Subban to Weber.. I think that's the bet that MB is taking here. We will see if he was right.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I prefer Subban as well. For an offensively challenged team like we are, I also believe he was the better fit.

While I believe it's a downgrade from Subban to Weber, I think it's likely that our collapse had something to do with lack of leadership, lack of respected veteran presence and the fact that Subban was at odds with his teammates and a source of distraction.. not saying it's Subban's fault but it was what the situation was. So perhaps, Weber will improve that, and perhaps that improvement will supercede the downgrade on the ice from Subban to Weber.. I think that's the bet that MB is taking here. We will see if he was right.

Well, if Price is healthy this year, it won't matter. But people will still draw the conclusion that ERMAGERDLERDERSHERP was the difference. It's going to get stupid around here.

DrunkenHabz

Jan 10, 2012
Well, if Price is healthy this year, it won't matter. But people will still draw the conclusion that ERMAGERDLERDERSHERP was the difference. It's going to get stupid around here.

It's already stupid around here. And the difference will probably be exactly this in all honesty, leadership. So I don't see the point you're trying to make, we're already in this situation

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

He will be dead wrong imo. Subban did a lot more for this team on the ice carrying and distributing the puck than Weber can do. There is a severe lack of talent on this team and it'll show even more this year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Dreger

No locks, but early expectations: Lucic goes to Oilers. Nielsen goes to Red Wings. Ladd goes to Isles and Eriksson goes to Canucks. #hunch

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Do you agree that last year there was a clear lack of "ERMAGERDLERDERSHERP" and that the team chemistry was bad ? The team should not have crumbled the way it did with Price injured. I know that in this age of advanced statistics, what can't be measured directly in numbers on the ice does not exist and/or doesn't matter, but ... it doesn't make it less real.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He will be dead wrong imo. Subban did a lot more for this team on the ice carrying and distributing the puck than Weber can do. There is a severe lack of talent on this team and it'll show even more this year.

My brain says you're right, my heart hopes you're wrong.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Dreger

No locks, but early expectations: Lucic goes to Oilers. Nielsen goes to Red Wings. Ladd goes to Isles and Eriksson goes to Canucks. #hunch

If MB strikes out today.... and doesn't get anyone with hostile offer sheets.... the only hopes left will be praying for Shipashov, or trades.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
If leadership was an issue then the two players who have some explaining to do are Markov and Plekanec. They are veterans and have played in montreal their entire careers.

My feeling though, is that "leadership" is the new "character" and once they satisfy the "leadership" quotient they'll move on to something else. Maybe one of these days they'll land on "talent" and move mountains to acquire more.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
If leadership was an issue then the two players who have some explaining to do are Markov and Plekanec. They are veterans and have played in montreal their entire careers.

My feeling though, is that "leadership" is the new "character" and once they satisfy the "leadership" quotient they'll move on to something else. Maybe one of these days they'll land on "talent" and move mountains to acquire more.

Both guys are robots who will never lead anybody anywhere except on a plane to the World Championships after they get eliminated in the playoffs. They've had ample opportunity to lead this team, they are just yes men. And if they had any part to play in getting Subban traded then shame on our management team for not recognizing talent when it's staring them in the face.

We'll see who MB targets today, this team has had holes up front for years now it's bordering on ridiculous.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Both guys are robots who will never lead anybody anywhere except on a plane to the World Championships after they get eliminated in the playoffs. They've had ample opportunity to lead this team, they are just yes men. And if they had any part to play in getting Subban traded then shame on our management team for not recognizing talent when it's staring them in the face.

We'll see who MB targets today, this team has had holes up front for years now it's bordering on ridiculous.

Indeed about Plekance/Markov.. and everyone knows it, and no one expects more out of them. They're known quantities. It's almost scary that they have letters on their jerseys IMO. If it were me deciding? I'd give the C to Weber, and A to Gallagher and .. I guess Pacioretty..

As for top 6 help, we need to get someone today, preferably two someones.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Indeed about Plekance/Markov.. and everyone knows it, and no one expects more out of them. They're known quantities. It's almost scary that they have letters on their jerseys IMO. If it were me deciding? I'd give the C to Weber, and A to Gallagher and .. I guess Pacioretty..

As for top 6 help, we need to get someone today, preferably two someones.

Yep, we need 2 in the top 6 I agree 100%

MB has pretty much gone all in with Weber...have to win the cup within the next 2 years imo.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Obsess much ? Holy geeez man, get over it. Move on. lol

It was the biggest trade of the habs since Roy, and we're heading into free agency... and you want people not to talk about it? What's wrong with you. Get out of here you're not going to tell me what I can and can't write.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Obsess much ? Holy geeez man, get over it. Move on. lol

Seems like a legitimate concern. After the trade top-2 d men are over 30 and they dont have many options to increase their top 6 talent. Habs arent winning **** in the playoffs scoring a goal per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad