GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Good chance Bear is going to be a Hershey Bear?
We can bury a little over half of that contract so about $800k dead cap space if we do it. Highly likely he goes unclaimed but not a biggie if he is. He was a free asset to acquire and Bear may relish the ability to be in Hershey. But we’ll be 4 deep there with McIlrath, Iorio, Priskie, and Bear. More likely we carry 8 Dee and 13 forwards.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
This is their current situation with Backstrom and Oshie on LTIR, and with Lapierre up and Sgarbossa down (don't read into the lines and pairings, just putting this together to illustrate the total). If Bear's sent down the cap space goes up to 1.93M. They don't need to move anyone, although if they can get someone to take Bear's whole contract that'd be nice for their flexibility.

View attachment 890799
That team still desperately needs a top 6 winger. I would personally sub Lapierre for Miro. Still feels like one of McMichael or Lapierre is the odd man out.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
But the story was that after the start of the season the team basically sat Nick down, was very blunt about his performance, and pushed him to take a step back.
If that's true, I've gained back some of the respect I had for the front office before they handed out that abomination of a contract. Nick had that convo coming for a while.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
This time next season:

Coming off the books/expiring contracts
  • Kuznetsov's remainder of his contract of 3.9 mil
  • Pacioretty's 2 mil bonus
  • Backstrom 9.2 mil
  • Oshie 5.75 mil
  • Mangiapane 5.8 mil
  • Dowd 1.3 mil
  • Sgarbossa 775K
  • Bear 2 mil
  • Chychrun 4.6 mil
  • Lindgren 1.1 mil
  • Thompson 766K
  • Raddysh 1 mil
Two years from now
  • Ovechkin 9.5 mil
  • Milano 1.9 mil
  • Carlson 8 mil
  • TVR 3 mil

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
That team still desperately needs a top 6 winger. I would personally sub Lapierre for Miro. Still feels like one of McMichael or Lapierre is the odd man out.
a0ca2af2-a1d7-4590-bbea-4d63e6410793_text.gif

You want to sub out the much better NHL performer, more developed prospect, and AHL Playoff MVP?

Just make Lapierre play wing if it comes to that.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Would it be poor form trading CMM right after he signs a sweat heart deal?
I can't decide if it was good or bad, on one hand it looks like we are committing to him on the other, it is a cost controlled 2/3C for the next 2 seasons.

I am going to keep pushing for Ehlers. Seems like WPG needs a center, I am sure it wouldn't hurt if he is young and cost controlled.

Ehlers and McGroarty - McMichael, TVR/Bear, 2025 1st and 2nd should all be available

Reactions: Calicaps

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Also my point about Miro is he's not the kind of player you put in the AHL for a 1+ season and can reasonably expect a top-6 output in the NHL after that. He's a Russian player, homegrown and they don't like north american minor leagues. At least not the forwards. They usually lose their game there and become easily frustrated. You have to bet on him, like all in kinda bet to have any hope he turns out actually good. Put him in the lineup, give him skilled linemates, use him on PP disposals and all that. Give him an extended tryout with the big boys.

Reactions: RandyHolt

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
And Mangiapane as well.
Its early, but he seems like a guy we might like to keep, if he can be resigned for better value than his current deal. Or he can be moved this TDL but I expect we;ll be in playoff position and not looking to sell too much, but GMBM has sold expiring contracts two years in a row regardless of our situation, so yeah.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I can't decide if it was good or bad, on one hand it looks like we are committing to him on the other, it is a cost controlled 2/3C for the next 2 seasons.

I am going to keep pushing for Ehlers. Seems like WPG needs a center, I am sure it wouldn't hurt if he is young and cost controlled.

Ehlers and McGroarty - McMichael, TVR/Bear, 2025 1st and 2nd should all be available
I'm assuming you meant "aren't" here.

It's a bridge deal, it shouldn't be (and probably isn't) insulting anybody. If anything the short number of years works for CMM, he has two years to bet on himself and one more RFA contract before he's out in the open waters, which means he can take a longer low-cap deal if that's who he is or he can get paid if he breaks out.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Also my point about Miro is he's not the kind of player you put in the AHL for a 1+ season and can reasonably expect a top-6 output in the NHL after that. He's a Russian player, homegrown and they don't like north american minor leagues. At least not the forwards. They usually lose their game there and become easily frustrated. You have to bet on him, like all in kinda bet to have any hope he turns out actually good. Put him in the lineup, give him skilled linemates, use him on PP disposals and all that. Give him an extended tryout with the big boys.

I kinda agree with this. I wouldn't say Miro has earned top line duty at this point, but I would say its a good bet to give him an extended look there. If not for his illness, he would have been a top 5-10 draft pick and his expectations would be top line duty by now. The illness set him back a year or two, but I juts have this feeling he will grow into that role quickly.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I love Dowd but 4C's can be found just about anywhere, and CMM is not a 4C replacement either.
CMM needs to improve in the dot for sure, but I thought he played well on the PK. This will be an important season for him. I think he can handle the 4 C position.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
All of our signings are now official. And lots of ex-caps on the move. NAK signed in BUF 1x1.5M. Dillon to NJ. Pilon signed a two-way deal in Ottawa. Sammy just went out west.

Looks like we lost Jimmy Huntington to Pens. That makes me sad.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I kinda agree with this. I wouldn't say Miro has earned top line duty at this point, but I would say its a good bet to give him an extended look there. If not for his illness, he would have been a top 5-10 draft pick and his expectations would be top line duty by now. The illness set him back a year or two, but I juts have this feeling he will grow into that role quickly.
Which is why he needs the Hershey time.

He lost development years in lower leagues due to illness, he shows a lot of talent, now he needs a takeover season and that's best done with the Bears given the depth chart right now. He cut his teeth in the NHL this year, took it back to the playoffs and contributed, he's probably about caught up physically by now... so it's time for him to go out and flex night after night.

Go try and lead the team/league in scoring and we'll see about the gift wrapped top 6 spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad