GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 72 84.7%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Stephenson gets 7x6.25M coming off a 51 point season

Lindholm gets 7x7.75M coming off a 44 point season

Monahan gets 5x5.5M two years after costing a 1st round pick for the Flames to dump

The center market is insane. This is why gambling on PLD made sense, the contract is bad but any center they brought in would've either also been on a bad contract if they got em through free agency or would've cost a king's ransom if it was a trade for a guy on a good contract. One good year and PLD goes back to being considered a major positive asset.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ovie - Strome - Wilson
Mangiapane - PLD - Sonny
Lappy - CMM - Protas
Raddysh - Dowd - Duhaim

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR
Bear

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Stephenson gets 7x6.25M coming off a 51 point season

Lindholm gets 7x7.75M coming off a 44 point season

Monahan gets 5x5.5M two years after costing a 1st round pick for the Flames to dump

The center market is insane. This is why gambling on PLD made sense, the contract is bad but any center they brought in would've either also been on a bad contract if they got em through free agency or would've cost a king's ransom if it was a trade for a guy on a good contract. One good year and PLD goes back to being considered a major positive asset.
I think everyone agrees the UFA center market is insane. But I don't think trading for a guy who has an equally bad contract is a win.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
So what I get from today is they loaded themselves up front so much they basically are throwing a white flag on Miroshnichenko. There's no way in hell they get him out of the AHL as an NHL caliber top-6 player next season.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
We need depth at Dee because we don’t have as much Hershey Dee depth. We have plenty of bottom 6 help in Hershey on two-way deals.
HHA will have an opportunity after his Calder Cup run for AA spot. TVR can still bring back assets along with salary cap relief. Have some minor investment (not blue chip/AAAA) in D the past few years but still needed some depth in the system. Chychrun was a major move that reset the depth charts. TVR $$ at a 6D will be needed elsewhere.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Server Error 500

Old Skool HF Lives!

Love taking swings but GMBMs moves kinda reek of desperation or MAJOR shift in philosophy
couldn't disagree more, tbh. he's been saying for a couple of years that they would improve the roster and get younger and as soon as they had some cap flexibility (that is, now), that's what they did. it's precisely what he said he would do. Older guys out. Younger guys in. Talent is there if Carbs can tap it. They're not a contender yet, but at least on paper, this team is markedly better than it was a month--hell, 3 hours--ago.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Also they better find a way to get Chychrun to sign an extension here because he's their last chance to stay at least relevant. That left D side without him is horrendous.

I have zero idea why people are clamoring to trade TvR instead of Bear.
Ain't nobody wants Bear, if they did they'd sign him a year ago when he was there to grab

Reactions: DWGie26

MileHighCapsFan

Mar 12, 2007
So what I get from today is they loaded themselves up front so much they basically are throwing a white flag on Miroshnichenko. There's no way in hell they get him out of the AHL as an NHL caliber top-6 player next season.
I'd imagine they approach him the way they did for Lapierre. Give him some games, let him develop in the AHL.. look for an MVP Calder Cup season. Rinse/Repeat. :sarcasm:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Ovie - Strome - Wilson
Mangiapane - PLD - Sonny
Lappy - CMM - Protas
Raddysh - Dowd - Duhaim

Fever - Carlson
Chychrun - Roy
Sandin - TVR
Bear
Don’t know why you keep putting OV-Strome-Wilson. That line was ok but not good enough to keep together. We gonna try something else on the first line. And I don’t like Sonny on 2nd line. Actually hope he gets moved.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
At least you are on the west coast so you get some breathing room. This is right in the middle of my “day 1” of new reign (same company). Just a lot more responsibility and my boss keeps zooming me. Haha.
Just come to Canada where July 1 is a holiday every single year. Presumably for the purposes of following along with the NHL, but don't quote me on that.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Welcome back!

We should crowd-fund a study to inspect what is happening inside that brain before you hit the post button

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'd imagine they approach him the way they did for Lapierre. Give him some games, let him develop in the AHL.. look for an MVP Calder Cup season. Rinse/Repeat. :sarcasm:
Lapierre is a center, he can find a way to be good on the 3rd line at least. Miro is a pure scorer. He will either get a big role up there with Wilson, Mangiapane, Ovi and those guys or he goes back to Russia

• Haha
Reactions: Kolzilla

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think that is the right move. Miro needs another year in AHL (where we need some high end skill guys) and use him as a call-up. the Hershey depth is really important to consider as well. This also includes Rybinski and Trineyev. It’s ok to cook those guys longer.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some of the criticism on Washington being active is absurd. What's he supposed to do? Tear it to the studs outside of 8/74? Crazy. He's trying to improve like everyone else. There's some risk in the Roy term I guess but the Chychrun deal was a no-brainer. They've given up minimal value overall. Not sure what a Chychrun extension would look like and, more importantly, whether one and Sandin together can co-exist.

So I could see Sandin swapped for a winger maybe. Gostisbehere is still out there I believe. Brannstrom. Some cheap UFA wings left I guess but seems unlikely. Either way, have to like how they stack up in the East (at least currently).
There's still a path, albeit gone were Leonard to sign. But otherwise they could have Raddysh as the scratch if he's outplayed and Sgarbossa back in Hershey.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Throwing a white flag? He had one season in North America. He played well in limited deployments at the NHL level but I don’t see how any sane person watches those games and pencils him in as a top 6 winger next season. He needs more seasoning and that’s okay. He needs to work on consistently producing before he’s a full time NHLer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad