GDT: Free Agency Frenzy (July 1st @ 12pm ET)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you grade GMBM off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 70 84.3%
  • B

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • C

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Let's take a live look at teams around the NHL today:

1719831408561.gif

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What could go wrong?
Crazy career for that dude. Showed a ton of promise in Buffalo but kept getting bumped between center and wing and between the top and bottom six. Still managed to produce 20+ goals in fix of six full seasons in Buffalo but got unceremoniously traded to Florida after signing a 1-year deal to return to Buffalo. Signs a modest 3-year deal with Florida then scores 30 goals in back to back seasons before exploding for 57 this year and scoring the GWG in the Stanley Cup Final, and now he’s signing a contract for generational money.

Side note: being a Sabres and Bills fan might be the worst thing in pro sports.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
D market filled with landmines, but several of them seem to have picked their teams already so bullet dodged.

Brett Pesce (does he get 5+ years?) Yikes.

Christopher Tanev (Woof, how many years?).

Nikita Zadorov (Please, please, please be an Metropolitan team that pays him).

I like Montour, Skjei and Walker but each of them will be 30 when their contracts start, and you'd assume they get term. A lot of it. Interesting to see.

Matt Roy is a great D too but just how high does that contract climb to?

Alex Carrier, Justin Schultz and Mat Grzelczyk are each pretty solid D's that are getting no buzz around them. They could be great contracts.

Good ol' Erik Gustafsson. Does he still crack 1m AAV? Will likely be a great signing for someone, hope it's not the Rangers.

Brodie, Shattenkirk, Giordano, Martinez, do they still get contracts? Or retirement?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Carrier re-signed. If the Caps do anything in UFA it probably ought to be one of Montour, Skjei, Walker or Roy. And then maybe a Beck replacement. They're at 37 contracts plus another 5 RFAs so I wouldn't expect too many organizational signings.

Kylington could be a solid value/upside play. Ekman-Larsson showed pretty well in the playoffs, albeit in more of a depth role. Gostisbehere could perhaps be a fit if they're in the market for more of a point producer (and if his market is relatively soft). That's mainly it barring a trade I think.

MW6

Sponsor
Oct 21, 2011
Umeå
I’m not saying it’s the right play for the Caps right now, but I dreamt of a OEL-Carlson pairing back in the “Phoenix-days”. Is it too late, perhaps? But I still think they’d make the sum greater then the parts.

I also wouldn’t mind making a play for Viktor Arvidsson on a short term contract.

Reactions: trick9

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Thats a discount for the Panthers it seems. Thats close to PLDs contract
Cap hit % is pretty damn close to the PLD deal, yeah. (Like .1% lower for Reinhart.)

But considering that until this season their career numbers were pretty damn close to each other, it's probably a good comparable. He seems not to have charged them too much for the career outlier year (so far) that was 2023-24.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Seems like a good deal for them both. Stays in FLA and on that Barkov line.
Cap hit % is pretty damn close to the PLD deal, yeah. (Like .1% lower for Reinhart.)

But considering that until this season their career numbers were pretty damn close to each other, it's probably a good comparable. He seems not to have charged them too much for the career outlier year (so far) that was 2023-24.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Yakov Trenin to fill one of the Beck/NAK winger spots seems good. I wonder how pricey he gets though but pretty solid defensive impacts and kills penalties

Reactions: Langway

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
For our 4th line I would like to build it from within and use the cap space on bigger fish. Like many posters have suggested we got players over cooking in Hershey. I would like to see Frank, Sutter, and Trineyev all battle it out to play with Dowd on the checking line.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I’d be okay filling one of the spots with a guy like Trenin but other than that, yes internal promotions for the 4th line is probably best. But I imagine they will only leave one spot open. I also have a bit less faith in the Hershey guys. Maybe Sutter or Frank, but Frank doesn’t seem like a 4th line defensive PKer type but I’ll let the Hershey Heads speak to that

Trenin would be a smart bet. His defensive impacts are strong and immediately becomes our best defensive forward once the Dowd contract expires. Still young to where you could give him a four year deal ala Hathaway. But I could easily see him getting a little too much $$$

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’d be okay filling one of the spots with a guy like Trenin but other than that, yes internal promotions for the 4th line is probably best. But I imagine they will only leave one spot open. I also have a bit less faith in the Hershey guys. Maybe Sutter or Frank, but Frank doesn’t seem like a 4th line defensive PKer type but I’ll let the Hershey Heads speak to that

Trenin would be a smart bet. His defensive impacts are strong and immediately becomes our best defensive forward once the Dowd contract expires. Still young to where you could give him a four year deal ala Hathaway. But I could easily see him getting a little too much $$$
Your PK guys are Sutter, Trineyev and Rybinski. Sutter and Rybinski gives you more versatility as they can both play wing and center. I know GMBM specifically mentioned Trineyev as an internal option but Rybinski had a helluva playoff run. All three would give some financial flexibility

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad