GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
There is, but you need another team to claim him and then have him not report so the contract is voided. It's not going to happen through. No team wants to be a part of this mess. That's why these kind of things usually don't become public and are behind closed doors. Everyone that kept blaming the nyr org for leaking the trade too early missed the boat when I said it came from Jake and Kurt. They tainted the market (legally) so no one would pursue this. They win. Not every player has already made 50 million and has a wife that's a doctor. Trouba could just walk from the contract if push comes to shove
By the start of next season Overhardt will represent every player on the Rangers and Drury won't be able to trade anyone.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
There is, but you need another team to claim him and then have him not report so the contract is voided. It's not going to happen through. No team wants to be a part of this mess. That's why these kind of things usually don't become public and are behind closed doors. Everyone that kept blaming the nyr org for leaking the trade too early missed the boat when I said it came from Jake and Kurt. They tainted the market (legally) so no one would pursue this. They win. Not every player has already made 50 million and has a wife that's a doctor. Trouba could just walk from the contract if push comes to shove
Wouldn’t he be required to report to Hartford though if he went unclaimed on waivers since he doesn’t have a NMC to block that from happening? In that scenario we don’t need another team we just need him to refuse assignment and the contract is voided

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Accept a trade to a nearby team like Buffalo. Tons of space, no playoffs. Serve his time, reunite with his wife. We'll take Sabres 2nd from them as a favor.
Bro have you ever been to Buffalo?

At this rate it's more likely Trouba orders Drury to go to Buffalo to be the Sabres new equipment manager than it is he accepts a trade there.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Honestly, if I'm Drury, I ask Trouba to come in for a face-to-face meeting with himself, Martin, the coaches, and possibly Trouba's agent. Hash things out the best you can. If he'll accept a trade, figure exactly to where. If not:

"If we cannot move you, what exactly can we do to help bring your level of play up to where it needs to be on the 3rd pairing this year? At present, we feel that is the place you can help the team best, largely due to your play last year. We feel Schneider has taken the steps to the point where he's now the 2RD"

If he says "Get me a shutdown D to help me keep the netfront clear", then you look for one of those. If he asks for help with a puckmover, you do that. If he says the D is getting worn-down because the forwards are flying the zone to early, then you have the coaches bear down on that. You don't bend over backwards for the guy, but if there's smaller things to do that could drive his play in a positive direction, it's at least worth a try.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Wouldn’t he be required to report to Hartford though if he went unclaimed on waivers since he doesn’t have a NMC to block that from happening? In that scenario we don’t need another team we just need him to refuse assignment and the contract is voided

lmfao imagine actually just f***ing sending your captain who is 100% a legit NHLer in his prime to the AHL just because. The PA would go to war over that

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You want to waive your captain to send him to the ahl to force him to not report so you can terminate his contract bc he didn't want to leave his wife and infant son? Even if you leave the human world and look at it from the perspective of the business PR world no one would want that for their brand. NO ONE. This is different than Redden waived bc of his play and a situation where no one else would claim him or trade for him bc of his poor play. This is different...

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Honestly, if I'm Drury, I ask Trouba to come in for a face-to-face meeting with himself, Martin, the coaches, and possibly Trouba's agent. Hash things out the best you can. If he'll accept a trade, figure exactly to where. If not:

"If we cannot move you, what exactly can we do to help bring your level of play up to where it needs to be on the 3rd pairing this year? At present, we feel that is the place you can help the team best, largely due to your play last year. We feel Schneider has taken the steps to the point where he's now the 2RD"

If he says "Get me a shutdown D to help me keep the netfront clear", then you look for one of those. If he asks for help with a puckmover, you do that. If he says the D is getting worn-down because the forwards are flying the zone to early, then you have the coaches bear down on that. You don't bend over backwards for the guy, but if there's smaller things to do that could drive his play in a positive direction, it's at least worth a try.
this is hilarious.

this whole situation is incredible.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
lmfao imagine actually just f***ing sending your captain who is 100% a legit NHLer in his prime to the AHL just because. The PA would go to war over that
We did it with Redden and the war was somehow averted.
Granted he wasn't captain but both Boston and St Louis thought he was still NHL quality...

Reactions: Tob

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
You want to waive your captain to send him to the ahl to force him to not report so you can terminate his contract bc he didn't want to leave his wife and infant son? Even if you leave the human world and look at it from the perspective of the business PR world no one would want that for their brand. NO ONE. This is different than Redden waived bc of his play and a situation where no one else would claim him or trade for him bc of his poor play. This is different...
I’m not saying I would definitely do it but I might especially if my hands were tied by some bullshit that ain’t my problem, why does the player get to push the team around?

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Who's trading a good nhl defenseman? I missed the memo.

Also what asset(s) are we trading for one now that everyone signed in free agency already. Our 2028 2nd rounder?
We are talking about a 3D, not Calle Makar. You don't think they can get that done?

They are not catering to him. They want to trade him but If teams won't trade for him it's a problem. Twitter is such a cesspool.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
100% a legit NHLer in his prime
1719893963004.gif

• Haha
Reactions: savebyrichter94

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Maybe a confrontation with the PA is necessary. They're pissed at the assignment to Hartford. We bring up that he made it impossible to trade him because of his antics, threatening to not report, etc. I'd love to see that play out.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm not caught up on everything because I've been at work... but the NMC and the NTC are there for a reason. Obviously you get less protection with a NTC. I have no idea what's fact or fiction yet but if he's claiming he won't report to a team he's traded to or claimed on waivers off of isn't that text book breach of contract stuff? I can't imagine they'd let that fly. Him even saying that is kinda questionable in that regard

End of the day he negotiated a contract that made him one of the highest paid defenders in the league at that time. He hasn't performed anything like that. There's a replacement in-house and we need the cap space. If he performed anywhere near his contract they would've prioritized keeping him... sorry

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not saying it has, it's more to counter that these actions are "new" when they have been occurring within this organization for the past 20 years and it's just as bad in other organizations. It's the nature of the hard salary cap and why it's terrible.
I’m sure the NFL players would gladly sign up for more trades in a hard cap world if you guaranteed everyone’s salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad