GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
This absolutely highlights what people like Edge and others tried to warn about in the past when people advocated for players to be treated like video games character with buyouts, waivers, and so on.

Hockey is a sport of camaraderie and teamwork, individuals are just shuttled in and out without regard it can completely dismantle homogeny that's built within a group.

Will be interesting to see if this trouba situation becomes a defining thing for Drury in his tenure.

I saw people posting last night and this morning that there's no way that trouba can go back into that locker room in the fall, I literally laugh out loud at that comment. Trouba hasn't done a single thing wrong, people are acting like he's ADA and his teammates were fighting him and wanted him gone. There's literally not a single sign of that, and in fact an overwhelming number have publicly praised him for his leadership for the group since he's been Captain. This whole situation may have turned into a giant shit right into drurys face
One thing I've learned from listening to tons of NHL and former NHL player interviews on various different podcasts is they really don't see their teammates at all how we see them. They don't look around the locker room and think "you know if we could just remove that guy's $6.5 mil of cap space and spend $3 mil on player X and another $3 mil on player Y we'd be in a much better position." All they care about is 1. does this player work hard and 2. is this player going to have my back when the time comes. I think for all his faults Trouba definitely satisfies both those criteria. So go ahead and trade him, that's fine. But it's really not that hard to do it in a professional manner.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wouldn't that be grounds to terminate his contract?
He'd likely be suspended without pay. The acquiring team would try to work something out with Trouba, and if it became clear Jake wasn't going to budge (and the team couldn't move him somewhere he was willing to go), then they could potentially move to terminate the contract. More than likely they'd just suspend him all year, toll the contract--meaning the whole year wouldn't count and he'd still have two years left beginning in 2025--and then pick it up from there. I say this is most likely because it sounds like he might be willing to move in a year.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Wait, wait, wait:

"There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician."

Why would he have to accept a trade to a team on his list? Isn't that the point? Is Uncle Larry implying that Trouba wouldn't play next season for any team if he's traded?

May I introduce Jacob and Kelly to a well-known proverb: "Distance makes the heart grow fonder"

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Get a grip. They are not punting on anything. They made 2 solid additions today plus they already have a good team plus hopefully a healthy Chytil, better season from Kakko, young guys like Rempe, Edstrom, Jones, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots. There is a lot of good here added to a team that had 114 points last year. The negative talk here is lunacy.
I know you are responding to the other guy on this, but I agree with you the team isn't exactly punting. More like handcuffed/treading water at their own doing with a splash of that hope you are talking about. Would be really cool if those players you mentioned turns it on next year.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No one should dim your light - but want to clarify, I didn't mean they got lucky just last year. A coin flip series against Carolina means they got lucky in my book, but its not the bad kind, just the typical luck you need to move on. Carolina played fine. I am saying for them to win the cup, they would need to get really really lucky rounds 2, 3, and 4 next year and beyond with this group. With Trouba playing meaningful minutes, they cannot win the cup. He is that bad.

Carolina will be the same system - meaning we can beat them but they will be very good. Florida we still don't match up well, their top end is still better. Toronto got a bit better. NJD got better, Boston got another player. We, so far, kept Trouba. I mean, I am hoping for a defensive miracle, but you don't bet on miracles!
I already mentioned why I'm optimistic. Trouba was bad in the playoffs, really bad, but I think a lot of that had to do with the injury. He literally couldn't skate. He can be serviceable as a 3rd pairing guy. Not ideal but limit the minutes and it can work. People act like this team had 80 points last year. It's comical.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Get a grip. They are not punting on anything. They made 2 solid additions today plus they already have a good team plus hopefully a healthy Chytil, better season from Kakko, young guys like Rempe, Edstrom, Jones, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots. There is a lot of good here added to a team that had 114 points last year. The negative talk here is lunacy.
No, this team can’t win a Cup with this roster as it is now.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Trouba stuff leaking to the media was terrible. You have a player with a history of forcing his way to a certain destination and an aggressive agent. I blame Trouba for neither of those two things. Drury should know better. They might have been able to work something out behind closed doors where all sides preserve their dignity and Trouba and his family are given the ability to have input into the decision. Not saying Drury was wrong to investigate but the way everything unfolded was unprofessional. You can hate Trouba as a player but it's not like he's out there dogging it and not trying hard. I don't trust Brooks on this story but I do trust Friedman and Friedman said Trouba was very unhappy about all of this. I would be too.

The residency is a massive deal for that family. Drury knows their situation. He knows about the NTC and the NMC. He knows about Overhardt. None of this should have been surprising. Drury needs to find the mole in the organization quickly so this doesn't happen again. This should have been handled better.

.....and there's real potential for this to get cancerous in the locker room. About every week last year Mollie Walker, Larry Brooks and Brian Boyle would do a video and all year long pretty much every episode of those that I watched the three of them would gush over blah, blah, blah how tight and close the team was--everyone loved everyone and now here Drury is looking to dump the captain that all the players (or most all, they seemed to insinuate unanimity) voted to be such.....and like you said everyone knows the story about Trouba and his wife and yeah it seems like this should have been handled much better than it was and I wasn't a fan of Kravtsov's drama queen stuff but it now makes me wonder if what he insinuated about Drury had more substance than I gave him credit for. Now we might have all these hurt feelings in the mix next year but instead of it coming from a guy trying to make his way now it's from the guy that all the players chose to be their C and if that's the result it's self inflicted by the GM on his own team.

It's also weird to me that so many of our fans think the team sucks after we won the regular season and were in the final four in the playoffs-----which isn't to say that the end wasn't disappointing....it definitely was but I do think some people could use a reality check.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Wait, wait, wait:

"There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician."

Why would he have to accept a trade to a team on his list? Isn't that the point? Is Uncle Larry implying that Trouba wouldn't play next season for any team if he's traded?
The list is made of up teams he chooses NOT to be traded to...therefore he would have to agree to waive his NTC for the trade to go through.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Not for nothing, Trouba signed a contract for a lot of money with a clause that made it possible for him to be traded or put on Waivers on 7/1/24. That's on him and his agent. He knew the possible consequences to his wife's career. That part is not Drury's fault. In other sports, there's way to redo the contract. Too bad Trouba couldn't change his contract to say 5 million with a NMC for the duration.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, but the other team can also then try to have the traded voided.
I don't think the NHL would do that, because a) they'd essentially be facilitating an expansion of the player's no trade and b) the acquiring team in this instance would surely know there was a good chance the player wouldn't report.

Honestly all the speculation is irrelevant because no one is going to trade for Trouba without asking the Rangers for permission to talk to him.

Reactions: Barnaby

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Does Dr. Tyson-Trouba know that her husband is a liability on the ice and isn't worth close to the 8M per he's making a year?

If Trouba wasn't a penalty-making, cheap-shot machine, a black hole on offense, and a guy who makes boneheaded defensive plays every f***ing game, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's not Trouba's fault he got the contract that he did, but it is his fault that he's been mostly ass since he signed it.

It is Trouba's fault for not negotiating a full NMC throughout his contract if he was so concerned about potentially having to leave at some point. He certainly could have sacrificed some money on the contract to do so.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
It's also weird to me that so many of our fans think the team sucks after we won the regular season and were in the final four in the playoffs-----which isn't to say that the end wasn't disappointing....it definitely was but I do think some people could use a reality check.
Rangers are a very good regular season team.....they're just not built for playoff style hockey.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Let's also not forget we're not that far away from some bozo at Barstool taking a cheap shot at Trouba and his wife on X as well. So putting the endless money and life of luxury aside she probably wasn't all that thrilled with the hockey world before all this started to begin with. Now she sees via Brooks headline that she has to find a residency in another city (something which is apparently extremely difficult to do?) Yeah, no. This was never going to be easy and anyone with a functioning brain could see that.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
It is Trouba's fault for not negotiating a full NMC throughout his contract if he was so concerned about potentially having to leave at some point. He certainly could have sacrificed some money on the contract to do so.
Haha. I just wrote the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad