GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I fully accept I may be underselling Gus and Nemeth here, but most of that group has made the ECF 2 of the past 3 seasons. At some point we have to consider results, even while understanding that there should be able to be improvements with upgrades

Igor dragged us to the ECF in 2022 along with a banging PP. Lets not get it twisted, that team wasn’t that good.

They were a pretty good or even just flat out good team last year with some insurmountable flaws with the defense being front and center.

I think we’re stronger in some areas than some of the other teams which has helped them string together some series wins. Doesn’t mean that the defense has been good. That and 5v5 scoring have remained issues and are really the delta between being a team that can make it to the final 4 and win the whole thing. Smith is a step in the right direction towards improving one of those areas. They’ve done nothing to improve the other and instead seem ready to double down on the biggest issue within that group.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Staple says that Trouba and Overhardt never submitted his list prior to today. Which suggests to me Drury assumed he would accept a trade to Detroit because Trouba’s ties, and leaked it to Larry to put pressure on them

At which point Trouba said “f*** off” and didn’t submit his list until today, which presumably had Detroit on it. Also says that this deal with Detroit isn’t a priority anymore.

What a cluster

Also said the FA they were talking to seriously was Drouin and Brendan Dillon
I thought that when the world knew we were in talks with Detroit was when this went downhill. I posted on here asking why we gave Trouba the opportunity to put Detroit on his list.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
threaten to put him on waiver and maybe Ottawa or Montreal claims him. Who knows what can happen Jacob. Maybe Winnipeg reclaims you. Maybe Flames want some assets to trade at the deadline.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Latest from Vince:

Trouba has been a central figure in establishing an all-for-one, selfless culture the last few seasons, while Goodrow was one of the team's most respected veterans. There's a perception among teammates that their situations could have been handled with more openness and dignity, according to one source, with those feelings extending to other team employees who have been let go in recent years. At the top of that list is longtime trainer Jim Ramsay, who was suddenly fired last year. He was not acknowledged upon his return to Madison Square Garden with the Montreal Canadians on Feb. 15, which apparently didn't sit well with a number of players, either.

I mean, yes, I can see this point of view to a certain extent.

But, there's the other side of this. Guentzl, for example, had an 8x8 deal in place with Carolina that was "handshaken" on (not really, but that's the kind of deal this was) and then changed his mind and went to Tampa. Did he treat the Hurricanes with dignity?

Furthermore, Ramsey, who knows what happened there. Maybe it was something egregious but Drury took the high road, fired him, and never discussed. We simply don't know.

Goodrow had an opportunity to get traded to SJ, played hardball, and the Rangers called his bluff. He, and Trouba, while being character guys etc... simply aren't bringing what they're paid for to the table. Goodrow had a TERRIBLE regular season as a 4th liner making 3.6M. Trouba ended the season on the bottom pair making 8M and costing the Rangers a chance to move on in the 2nd round. Of course the Rangers have pursue their options. What are they supposed to do - have a conversation with each of these guys that they aren't living up to their end of the bargain.

It's ruthless on both sides of the ball.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I thought the 2 moves today were solid and the team got better. Ya know, the team that had 114 points last year and an ECF appearance. Nothing to complain about but then again I realize where I'm posting. Maybe we should have signed Toffoli for 6m/4 years and that would have made everybody happy. Did you see the prices paid today? Insanity. Drury is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. It's still only day 1 of FA so others could still be signed and trades can still happen. Stop whining.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Yes?

I’m confused, what you described sounds like the exact job of a GM lol

No?

I mean, you're going to call Jacob Trouba into your office and tell him how much he sucked this year (and last and the year before that) and we need to move on because he's entirely overpaid for what he's bringing to the table and this is supposed to make him (and his teammates?) feel BETTER about the situation?

No. You simply tell him it's not working and it's best for everyone if we part ways and here are your options. That's all you owe him. He's certainly not seeking Drury out to apologize for his performance last year and promise to do better. It's a two way street.

Reactions: Atax

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
But, look... Drury had a bit of a rep with the Kravtsov stuff, possibly the Lias stuff, and now the Goody stuff, the Trouba stuff.
My sales manager many years ago was a catcher on that Trumbull team and knew Drury quite well. He said he was a Spoiled, entitled, rich kid that a lot of kids didn’t like. He rarely threw the pitch he called. His father was an asshole too. He went to Fairfield prep, which is the home to many other, rich spoiled kids.

Drury was traded to Calgary, traded to Buffalo, and bought out here. Hes gives zero f***s about the players. It’s a double edged sword but he’s shown his loyalty lies with the team instead of the players. I’m not a fan of Drury but I prefer that approach.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
No?

I mean, you're going to call Jacob Trouba into your office and tell him how much he sucked this year (and last and the year before that) and we need to move on because he's entirely overpaid for what he's bringing to the table and this is supposed to make him (and his teammates?) feel BETTER about the situation?

No. You simply tell him it's not working and it's best for everyone if we part ways and here are your options. That's all you owe him. He's certainly not seeking Drury out to apologize for his performance last year and promise to do better. It's a two way street.
I mean you don’t phrase it the way you said it. But yes, if you’re a good manger you tell them why it’s not working and say you’re committed to getting both sides into a better situation

Like this is manager 101 stuff. If Drury can’t do that he probably shouldn’t be leading this team

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
My sales manager many years ago was a catcher on that Trumbull team and knew Drury quite well. He said he was a Spoiled, entitled, rich kid that a lot of kids didn’t like. He rarely threw the pitch he called. His father was an asshole too. He went to Fairfield prep, which is the home to many other, rich spoiled kids.

Drury was traded to Calgary, traded to Buffalo, and bought out here. Hes gives zero f***s about the players. It’s a double edged sword but he’s shown his loyalty lies with the team instead of the players. I’m not a fan of Drury but I prefer that approach.
I think around the time got the job, edge mentioned that Drury had a rep of being a bit of a prick. I could see it.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

I don’t totally care for Drury as a GM but digging back to his days as a 13 year old to speak to his character 35 years later is kind of hilarious.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I mean you don’t phrase it the way you said it. But yes, if you’re a good manger you tell them why it’s not working and say you’re committed to getting both sides into a better situation

Like this is manager 101 stuff. If Drury can’t do that he probably shouldn’t be leading this team

Per Brooksie: "Sources report that communication between Trouba, his camp and Drury and management have been professional without animosity that would infect or negatively impact the defenseman’s role as captain. If nothing further develops, it might become a one-sentence Q&A the first day of training camp."

Are we done here?

Reactions: kovazub94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad