GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's not much question that even if Trouba doesn't move on this summer his days with the Rangers are numbered. He's closing in on his term as it is which should make it easier and easier for the GM to move him. That said we don't have a current in house replacement ready. I suspect that if Mancini plays anything like he did in Hartford towards the end of last season he might start pushing before 24-25 ends. He's an RD with size and he can skate and he's defense first....but expecting him to come out of training camp ready right off for the NHL is reaching. I think we'll have to see how his season with the Pack evolves. If necessary we can afford to wait and see on him and if he can come up next season and prove himself maybe move Jacob then.

The only other option to replace Jacob at this point is a trade. Two free agent D's still out there are Klingberg an RD who only played 14 games last year and Kylington an LD. AFAIC no one else is even worthwhile thinking about in the free agent market. My guess is that Drury won't pursue either and that he will revisit moving Trouba either during the upcoming season or next summer and a buyout could be more on the table then if things go awry again.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I haven’t read the last 50 pages because I’m in SD on vacation, so theres likely some additional chatter - but I’m sensing there’s a bigger deal or two in the works from Drury.

May be something out of left field. Big trade or signing not sure but there surely is more to come

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Rangers have slow played this to a position of being 1 of 5 playoff teams with meaningful cap space remaining.

And of those 5, 2 have big RFAs to sign that will take up what remains.

We are also the only ones that look to only really be confirmed in resigning only our cheapest, Schneider. Nothing concrete on lindgren. The reports sound like his agent leaking that he is basically begging to stay so Fox can keep him in the NHL.

I think there are a few trades that can be made, even without moving Trouba, and I think all of Lindgren, Chytil and Kakko should keep their phones nearby.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Rangers have slow played this to a position of being 1 of 5 playoff teams with meaningful cap space remaining.

And of those 5, 2 have big RFAs to sign that will take up what remains.

We are also the only ones that look to only really be confirmed in resigning only our cheapest, Schneider. Nothing concrete on lindgren. The reports sound like his agent leaking that he is basically begging to stay so Fox can keep him in the NHL.

I think there are a few trades that can be made, even without moving Trouba, and I think all of Lindgren, Chytil and Kakko should keep their phones nearby.
Lindgren is being resigned, Chytil has been penciled in as 3C. This is your top9. Roster is set. Only move might be Trouba but we’ll sign a bargain bin 3RD to replace him.

Kreider - Mika - Smith
Panarin - Tro - Laf
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
You said the team bombed out. That’s not a bomb out season. Now you’re trying to rephrase it. The Sharks bombed out. Columbus bombed out. The NYR have some retooling to do, but your characterization of them as having a disaster year is ridiculous. It’s just raw emotion and no common sense.

… and you are aware that Igor is a member of this team? He’ll soon probably be the highest paid member of this team? This whole - they are bad except for Igor idea is pointless.
No I'm not trying to reframe it, teams with a 2 0 series lead that lose 4 in a row bomb out. Are you really trying to argue with me what I meant when I said they bombed out? Are you kidding me.

I am well aware Igor is part of the team and I am also aware that on a team that is capped out Igor is making less aav than NHL all world goalies such as John Gibson, Jordan Binnington, and Phillip grubauer which means that NYR has the sweetest of opportunities to ice the best team possible with the most cap to offer to the rest of the roster while Igor is criminally underpaid for what he provides to the team, and yet with all that opportunity they did everything possible to lose in spite of an all world goaltending performance that lasted three full rounds, not just a game or two.

So if Igor was the highest paid player then your argument would make sense, but he isn't. He is literally the embodiment of what everyone asks for around here all the time which is an elite level talent playing at the highest level while they are on a sweetheart contract. Igor and his contract allowed the org to go spend more to outfit a top level roster than they should have been able to with a player of his level, and all the rest of the roster does is piss it away. They were completely outmatched for all but 1 of the last 9 games that they played in the playoffs. That's unacceptable and to me that is bombing out and wasting a gift of an opportunity given to the team by its best player...

Lindgren is being resigned, Chytil has been penciled in as 3C. This is your top9. Roster is set. Only move might be Trouba but we’ll sign a bargain bin 3RD to replace him.

Kreider - Mika - Smith
Panarin - Tro - Laf
Cuylle - Chytil - Kakko
And that roster is only going to be successful if players repeat career level seasons as they all get a little older, and I will be shocked if we get 70 games this season out of chytil, so can't wait to see our lack of center depth play out

It does look suspiciously close to the D corps that just went to the ECF

edit - not that the last groups doesn't need improving on, but there's clearly a lot of worse groups out there, even factoring in Igor
That corps made it to the ecf bc of the goalie and any argument otherwise is insanity. Igor dragged them to the ecf in spite of a horrific defensive showing

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It does look suspiciously close to the D corps that just went to the ECF

edit - not that the last groups doesn't need improving on, but there's clearly a lot of worse groups out there, even factoring in Igor

Worse groups amongst teams in the league? Yeah maybe.

Amongst teams with legitimate cup aspirations? I don’t think so. Not one of them is running a Lindgren in their top 4. The only “contender” that may objectively be worse is Tampa.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Clear as day that Drury missed on everything he tried today and called the Pens to overpay and try to save face
100% believe he wanted gentzle and was trying to move trouba to free up money for him. It didn't workout, the bolts made the move and locked him up and now Drury will have to figure out if he licks his wounds and brings his captain back on the 3rd pair or needs to look strong and buy him out. Either way he messed up...

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
It is quite literally July 1st. There is plenty of time left. Most of the UFA deals were atrocious.
99% of them have been since the 95 CBA. I can think of 1 1/2 big name/money UFAs that turned out to be worth what they got, Chara in Boston and Panarin here (sort of, hence the 1/2).

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Now that you mention it I wonder if any of the players actually went to Drury over the weekend and told him not to move Trouba? This whole thing is a shitstorm
If that actually happened then it would highlight two things:

Drury does not have the pulse of his team

His team is running the show and he is just listening to them (there is evidence of this at times)

I tend to think it's the first one bc Drury absolutely has an arrogant side to him. Sometimes people mismanage or misread a situation, I think it's fair to say that's what happened here bc at this point there is virtually no reason to retain to dump a player when you have no one to upgrade on said player.

Reactions: AirGut

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Worse groups amongst teams in the league? Yeah maybe.

Amongst teams with legitimate cup aspirations? I don’t think so. Not one of them is running a Lindgren in their top 4. The only “contender” that may objectively be worse is Tampa.

I fully accept I may be underselling Gus and Nemeth here, but most of that group has made the ECF 2 of the past 3 seasons. At some point we have to consider results, even while understanding that there should be able to be improvements with upgrades

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Latest from Vince:

Trouba has been a central figure in establishing an all-for-one, selfless culture the last few seasons, while Goodrow was one of the team's most respected veterans. There's a perception among teammates that their situations could have been handled with more openness and dignity, according to one source, with those feelings extending to other team employees who have been let go in recent years. At the top of that list is longtime trainer Jim Ramsay, who was suddenly fired last year. He was not acknowledged upon his return to Madison Square Garden with the Montreal Canadians on Feb. 15, which apparently didn't sit well with a number of players, either.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Latest from Vince:

Trouba has been a central figure in establishing an all-for-one, selfless culture the last few seasons, while Goodrow was one of the team's most respected veterans. There's a perception among teammates that their situations could have been handled with more openness and dignity, according to one source, with those feelings extending to other team employees who have been let go in recent years. At the top of that list is longtime trainer Jim Ramsay, who was suddenly fired last year. He was not acknowledged upon his return to Madison Square Garden with the Montreal Canadians on Feb. 15, which apparently didn't sit well with a number of players, either.
Paychecks cleared and are direct deposited in all your accounts? Stop whining and forecheck!!!

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Latest from Vince:

This absolutely highlights what people like Edge and others tried to warn about in the past when people advocated for players to be treated like video games character with buyouts, waivers, and so on.

Hockey is a sport of camaraderie and teamwork, individuals are just shuttled in and out without regard it can completely dismantle homogeny that's built within a group.

Will be interesting to see if this trouba situation becomes a defining thing for Drury in his tenure.

I saw people posting last night and this morning that there's no way that trouba can go back into that locker room in the fall, I literally laugh out loud at that comment. Trouba hasn't done a single thing wrong, people are acting like he's ADA and his teammates were fighting him and wanted him gone. There's literally not a single sign of that, and in fact an overwhelming number have publicly praised him for his leadership for the group since he's been Captain. This whole situation may have turned into a giant shit right into drurys face

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Latest from Vince:

Jim Ramsay I agree with but f*** Trouba.

Reactions: Barnaby and Atax

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Staple says that Trouba and Overhardt never submitted his list prior to today. Which suggests to me Drury assumed he would accept a trade to Detroit because Trouba’s ties, and leaked it to Larry to put pressure on them

At which point Trouba said “f*** off” and didn’t submit his list until today, which presumably had Detroit on it. Also says that this deal with Detroit isn’t a priority anymore.

What a cluster

Also said the FA they were talking to seriously was Drouin and Brendan Dillon

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Well, Vince had some interesting nuggets. I don't know whether he was being kind and referring to a much bigger problem in a kind way or if he was blowing some ill-feelings out of proportion.

But, look... Drury had a bit of a rep with the Kravtsov stuff, possibly the Lias stuff, and now the Goody stuff, the Trouba stuff. The Jim Ramsay stuff. Lord knows what else. If he is growing a rep for being a bt cut-throat and cold or backstabby it's going to be very difficult for the Rangers to attract free agents. And it will be even more difficult to keep our own players from asking for the moon in lieu of taking team friendly deals. In fact, based on the Trouba and Goody situations it's becoming more and more likely that Shesty, Laffy and Miller are not going to be doing anyone any favors in their next deal.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Drury being perceived this way. I get that the upside is, he will make the hard decisions. But there's a communication style one could use that might mitigate the hard feelings. And I do think that morale plays into it. There's been a large aspect to this week where Rangers fans (myself included) have downplayed the human side of things. All I will say is this -- GM's can be a-holes. But a-holes need to win or they wear out their welcome, or even worse, dry out the resources of an organization pretty quickly. See Mike Keenan.

And I also get that GMs can be too nice. Too loyal. I get all that. CD doesn't need to become everybody's bestie. But he needs to fix his communication. He needs to go to the Peter Laviolette school of handling dificult situations. I suspect a big reason why Kakko isn't screaming from the hilltops about being moved is in part because of the communication between he and the HC. Not Kakko and Drury.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
This absolutely highlights what people like Edge and others tried to warn about in the past when people advocated for players to be treated like video games character with buyouts, waivers, and so on.

Hockey is a sport of camaraderie and teamwork, individuals are just shuttled in and out without regard it can completely dismantle homogeny that's built within a group.

Will be interesting to see if this trouba situation becomes a defining thing for Drury in his tenure.

I saw people posting last night and this morning that there's no way that trouba can go back into that locker room in the fall, I literally laugh out loud at that comment. Trouba hasn't done a single thing wrong, people are acting like he's ADA and his teammates were fighting him and wanted him gone. There's literally not a single sign of that, and in fact an overwhelming number have publicly praised him for his leadership for the group since he's been Captain. This whole situation may have turned into a giant shit right into drurys face
Sure as hell seemed to hurt Vegas and Florida, them making aggressive moves.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

I mean, hasn't this been the Rangers theme in the cap era? Redden, Gomez, Richard's, Goodrow, now Trouba. Hell even Drury himself. The Rangers were going to buy him out but then he came down with that injury that sidelined him for an entire season before he was officially bought out.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad