GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The real reason we're pissed is because Trouba is still here

That situation will resolve eventually.

We should really be pissed that we're about to witness another self inflected rocket launcher to the face in the form of a Ryan Lindgren contract extension. At least with the Trouba contract that was a sin of his predecessor. Lindgren's contractual status is a get out of jail free card that you're throwing away to do another dime behind bars for no reason.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
So far, Drury has handled this free agency as I handle my wet farts: you try to maneuver and concentrate on passing a quiet one, until you realize you now have to deal with literal shit!
Don’t you do the recon push first? Still some come out, but can be scooped away with the finger.

But don’t forget to shake hands with a Devils or Islanders fan after.

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
Ok.

We just added a guy who won a cup (even scored a series winner!) and isn't someone who needs to be carried by his line mates in order to be remotely useful. Tarasenko was basically like 8th (or even 9th) on the totem pole in Florida and hardly had anything to do with them winning. Much different when you're relying on him to be the 3rd or 4th guy in your forward group.

I'm with you on the D. It sucks and continues to suck and was the #1 reason why we didn't advance further. Panarin wasn't THE problem (I've said it, they could have had the same output from their forwards in that series and they'd win it with better players in place of Lindgren and Trouba) but he was certainly a part of it. Going from 120 points to sub PPG while getting grossly outplayed by your line mates is... Not good.

We already did the Tarasenko thing here and it didn't work unless you missed that part. If winning a cup and scoring a big goal is your criteria, we just added a guy who has won one AND scored a cup clinching goal. No need for Tarasenko!
It cost us a 2nd and a 5th while Vlad wouldn’t. I think the 2nd and a 5th could be used to improve the D down the line. I think it’s fair to say Smith may offer more because of PK and whatnot, but he cost a 2nd and 5th and Vlad is slightly younger and still skilled and a playoff performer as well. YMMV

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That situation will resolve eventually.

We should really be pissed that we're about to witness another self inflected rocket launcher to the face in the form of a Ryan Lindgren contract extension. At least with the Trouba contract that was a sin of his predecessor. Lindgren's contractual status is a get out of jail free card that you're throwing away to do another dime behind bars for no reason.

Lindgren going to arbitration imo, to keep the second buyout window open (not that I think they will ultimately use it). Wouldnt shock me to see the rangers walk away from his arb reward. If Drury was over the moon about signing him I think it wouldve happened already. especially when the original rumors were that the ask was "reasonable". This is what Im telling myself to cope for the time being.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It cost us a 2nd and a 5th while Vlad wouldn’t. I think the 2nd and a 5th could be used to improve the D down the line. I think it’s fair to say Smith may offer more because of PK and whatnot, but he cost a 2nd and 5th and Vlad is slightly younger and still skilled and a playoff performer as well. YMMV

Vlad is also a one dimensional player who rates out as one of the worst defensive forwards in the league and may very well be looking for a multi-year deal.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Part of that (a large part) was the inability of the D to get the puck out of our zone and up to our forwards in a decent position. Igor made like 200 saves while Bob kicked back in a lawn chair, and our “tough guys” on the back end didn’t do a damn thing while the Panthers would chop up Igor after the whistle and we were all trying for the Lady Byng and bringing Bob umbrella drinks after his saves.

Well, there was that one time someone got a roughing penalty for actually defending Igor. Terrible call btw. If the refs won’t protect your goalie you have to.
Just saying, it wasn't just the Defense. The offense's inability to generate opportunity's played a big role in us losing that series.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They can hardball Lindgren for a short term bridge to UFA if they aren’t worried about trade value

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Utah literally had 0 D signed before the draft and built a better defense than the one we have since (I realize they re-signed 2 of their own guys, but the point still stands.)

They can hardball Lindgren for a short term bridge to UFA if they aren’t worried about trade value

If they're hell bent on keeping him this is the least painful option.

Reactions: tiggles

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Yes, I'm ready to move any of those players for a significant piece. I want quality d-men or a center. They are all wingers. Place of strength for place of need. I'd like to keep Perrault but move him in the right deal.

We have our first round pick next year. I would trade Emery too if it sweetens a good deal. Sykora, Edstrom, Garand, Fortescue. I'm sure I'm forgetting others. We have enough prospects to get a deal done and a roster player or two (e.g. Kakko).
Agreed on all points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad