Free Agency Episode 2 - The Attack Of The Plugs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
155px-640Virizion.png

?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Exactly, im not on about a mobile phone operator, if you can get Virizion use it to kill Ted obviously

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You don't think either of those 3 centering Ovechkin results in a dangerous scoring line?

Do you think that's the best solution to the 2c problem...shift Backstrom there and allow Ovechkin to play with scrubs?

Maybe that works. Or maybe that turns 60 goal Ovechkin back into 30 goal Ovechkin. I know he got two all star awards for his season, but the recovery is only 30 some games old at this point.

tmljeh19*

Why did Pittsburgh trade for Iginla and Morrow if they didn't plan to extend them?

Why did Boston trade for Jagr if they didn't plan to extend him?

Search deeply and the answers will unfold to you

Those aren't even remotely close in comparison. Ribs was a major hole finally filled and let walk after one year. The rest were deadline deals that were to put another team over the top. Please stop while you're behind.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Those aren't even remotely close in comparison. Ribs was a major hole finally filled and let walk after one year. The rest were deadline deals that were to put another team over the top. Please stop while you're behind.

With what cap space?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
With the cap space taken up by our own ****** players.

Come on you can't think that letting our only legit 2C in how long walk after one year good planning.

ribeiro wasn't the answer as our long term 2C. We got him in an effort to "win now" as well as provide a stopgap until Johansson was ready. He feasted on powerplays and offered little to nothing at even strength. He's also kind of old. Honestly, I think if we put Johansson at the 2C spot for next season, we'll be fine, but I seem to be in the minority here.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Johansson and Laich are fine options at top six LW. We have no need for an offensive LW at all. We need an offensive center and a left d.

I can agree with brooks but not mojo. Mojo should have been taken off that top line in the playoffs. Erat impressed me the little time he played.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
The way I see it Ribeiro was a tryout; the price paid is what you pay for a deadline rental, so the Caps got some extra time out of that tryout due to the uncertainty of the lockout.

If the tryout had gone better, maybe they make the moves necessary to keep him. But he wasn't some great answer at 2C; he was good on the PP, obviously, but that 2nd line was not worth spending on based on its ES play. So him walking isn't worth any great angst. So-so price, so-so tryout, guy moves on signing for more than he's worth.

Now that doesn't absolve GMGM of needing to address the issue at C. But Ribeiro wasn't the answer. "Praying Perreault can handle a bigger role" would be a pretty crummy answer but it may be all we have to look forward to... :dunno:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My question is, if you hire a coach who has a very specific vision of how he wants the team to play, why wouldn't you retool the team to fit that vision?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The way I see it Ribeiro was a tryout; the price paid is what you pay for a deadline rental, so the Caps got some extra time out of that tryout due to the uncertainty of the lockout.

If the tryout had gone better, maybe they make the moves necessary to keep him. But he wasn't some great answer at 2C; he was good on the PP, obviously, but that 2nd line was not worth spending on based on its ES play. So him walking isn't worth any great angst. So-so price, so-so tryout, guy moves on signing for more than he's worth.

Now that doesn't absolve GMGM of needing to address the issue at C. But Ribeiro wasn't the answer.
"Praying Perreault can handle a bigger role" would be a pretty crummy answer but it may be all we have to look forward to... :dunno:

So what you're saying is....he failed. Not only did he pay for a rental, but a rental who was never the right pick in the first place.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
So what you're saying is....he failed. Not only did he pay for a rental, but a rental who was never the right pick in the first place.
I personally though Ribiero was a fine answer to the 2nd line center hole. Not the greatest at even strength, but he worked there. They just failed to get a deal done in time. Maybe they should have tried sooner before he priced himself out of range or whatever.

Now....we get Johansson...or some other existing piece of crap to plug in there. Yay!! :cry:

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland

He didn't end up being the right pick. He wasn't a bad guy to take the chance on, though. It didn't work out well enough but that doesn't mean it was a bad thing to try...

If he leaves the hole open now, though, he's putting a lot of eggs into the MoJo/Perreault basket. That's a much larger gamble, and one I'd really prefer he not make.

tmljeh19*

Now that doesn't absolve GMGM of needing to address the issue at C. But Ribeiro wasn't the answer. "Praying Perreault can handle a bigger role" would be a pretty crummy answer but it may be all we have to look forward to... :dunno:

If it was really a "win now" move then why do you let the only legit second line scoring threat walk?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
If it was really a "win now" move then why do you let the only legit second line scoring threat walk?

I didn't say it was a win now move, I said it was a tryout. They didn't think he was worth paying to keep and I agree with that. It doesn't matter that he was the only scoring threat on the 2nd line; even with a career year from Brouwer, that 2nd line was going to get scored on just as much as it scored, so why spend big money to do so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad