Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
What about Tyler Johnson in a 4th line role?

He checks a number of boxes:
  • Veteran (738 Regular season games + 116 games played in the Playoffs
  • Cup winner (x2) with TB
  • Plays Centre
  • 17 goals and 14 assists in 67 games last year with Chicago
He is coming off a contract that paid him $4.75m last year but at this stage in his career, he might be willing to do a minimum deal.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's true, but I don't think you can really depend on that for anything other than patch work. Like how the Ducks claimed Lassi from us because they had injuries.

I think they need a legitimate veteran #5 D who is a known quantity and ideally on an expiring contract. It's not going to be a David Savard or an option people are super excited about.

Ideally, they would add two veteran defenseman to get depth and force Kleven or whoever else to have to fight for their spot.

If Edmonton is willing to bundle a pick to dump Ceci, maybe we could do a deal where we send that pick to a 3rd party for some retention. Pittsburgh is a team who wants to accrue picks to re-tool with. Something like Edmonton sends Ceci+3rd to Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh retains on Ceci and sends him to us for JBD

So, if we fill in the blanks, and add say Crookshank/MacEwen as our 12f and Ostapchuk as the 11th, then add Kleven to push Hamonic to the 7th D, we only have 600k left in cap space. We can get a bit more by swapping Ostapchuk for a 775k deal like MacEwen but we still won't have enough to carry an extra body.

The problem we have is that Hamonic is locked in place, we can't send him down, we can no longer buy him out, he's th 7th D, which i think is fine but it does mean that anyone we bring in on D can only push out JBD or Kleven, the former being Waiver eligible..

Up front, there's more flexibility because we can send Crookshank or Ostapchuk down and cover the incoming player without any worry.

I think we could bring in some guys that we don't mind waiving, but then what...

Kylington seems like a decent option, he plays both sides, great skater, has played top 4 mins but might want more money than we can offer, and probably isn't keen on going somewhere he could get waived rather than at worst end up the 7th D. If he were to sign here, it probably means either more time in the AHL for Kleven or JBD gets waived.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

• Plays Centre
He is coming off a contract that paid him $4.75m last year but at this stage in his career, he might be willing to do a minimum deal.
Tyler Johnson would be a good 4th vet option. Can play centre or either wing, loads of valuable experience, etc,

I'd give Kylington a 1 year $1M contract. Slumped this season (so did all the Flames) but is one year removed from a 31 point season where he was a +34.
I wanted to draft Klyington when the flames did in 2015, would love it if he signed here for $1 million, but not sure if he'd take a $1.5 million pay cut. If he does, that'd be phenomenal.

Reactions: Good in Osgoode

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
That's true, but I don't think you can really depend on that for anything other than patch work. Like how the Ducks claimed Lassi from us because they had injuries.

I think they need a legitimate veteran #5 D who is a known quantity and ideally on an expiring contract. It's not going to be a David Savard or an option people are super excited about.

Ideally, they would add two veteran defenseman to get depth and force Kleven or whoever else to have to fight for their spot.

If Edmonton is willing to bundle a pick to dump Ceci, maybe we could do a deal where we send that pick to a 3rd party for some retention. Pittsburgh is a team who wants to accrue picks to re-tool with. Something like Edmonton sends Ceci+3rd to Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh retains on Ceci and sends him to us for JBD.

"Pierre, for the last time, you're not supposed to be at dev camp."
No more Ceci talk. Please. I will never ask for anything ever again.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
No more Ceci talk. Please. I will never ask for anything ever again.
I know how I'd welcome Ceci if he signed here.

tenor.gif

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The guy dislikes all of our drafts, he didn't like the Sanderson pick either when it happened

Tyler Johnson would be a good 4th vet option. Can play centre or either wing, loads of valuable experience, etc,

I wanted to draft Klyington when the flames did in 2015, would love it if he signed here for $1 million, but not sure if he'd take a $1.5 million pay cut. If he does, that'd be phenomenal.
Both would be solid gets. Kylington apparently wants term so I wonder if he would take 1.5 per for 2 years.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The guy dislikes all of our drafts, he didn't like the Sanderson pick either when it happened

Both would be solid gets. Kylington apparently wants term so I wonder if he would take 1.5 per for 2 years.
I'd give him 2 years at $1.5 million easily, but not sure we'd have the capspace to sign him. He'd be great for the 3rd pairing and would be our 5th best defender as of now.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
How the f*** is Washington planning to get under the cap? Backstrom on LTIR but still like $4M over the cap.

Can we get TVR from them?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'd give him 2 years at $1.5 million easily, but not sure we'd have the capspace to sign him. He'd be great for the 3rd pairing and would be our 5th best defender as of now.
If we add kleven to the cap sheet and operate under the assumption that jbd being removed from the cap sheet we will have 3.4 ish million to add a 4C and kylington, maybe a 4C, an extra forward and kylington

so we could probably go up to 1.8 per year for him and still keep an extra forward. Could go up to 2.2 if we are not carrying an extra forward.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

• Plays Centre
He's a far right winger reactionary who also happens to be a tiny forward that isn't physical or good defensively, no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad