Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I keep seeing that we're in a cap crunch, but are we? If we were to sign Pinto to a 2-year bridge at $3.75M per, which is more than fair, we'd be looking at:

TkachukStützleBatherson
$8,205,417$8,350,000$4,950,000
PerronNorrisGiroux
$4,000,000$7,950,000$6,500,000
GreigPintoAmadio
$863,333$3,750,000$2,600,000
GregorOstapchukJoseph
$850,000$825,000$2,950,000
SandersonJensen
$8,050,000$4,050,000
ChabotZub
$8,000,000$4,600,000
Kleven
$925,000
Ullmark
$5,000,000
Forsberg
$2,750,000
Hamonic$1,100,000
Korpisalo *retention$1,000,000

That adds up to $87,268,750 and with the $625k credit from the White buyout, leaves ~1.35M for a 3rd pairing defenseman (assuming we shop JBD out for a pick).

So you could keep Joseph and still sign a guy like Shattenkirk, who'll likely get ~1M on a 1-year deal.

If Staios is able to get Pinto's AAV down even more, that opens up even more room.
Sanderson carries an 850k overage for his bonus last year as well, no clue if that was calculated

Reactions: Micklebot

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They have 8M to sign Swayman and they still need to find a way to dump Korpisalo, maybe a buyout if they have an arb case.
Yes, true.

As to (or back to) the main point, are you writing them off and/or seeing a relatively significant Bruins decline? You didn’t comment on the main subject so thought I’d ask.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, true.

As to (or back to) the main point, are you writing them off and/or seeing a relatively significant Bruins decline? You didn’t comment on the main subject so thought I’d ask.
Nope. They might regress in point totals during the regular season but will be better in the playoffs IMO.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nope. They might regress in point totals during the regular season but will be better in the playoffs IMO.
One thing that could be problematic for them come playoff time is goalie fatigue. They will likely be leaning heavily on Swayman in the reg season, which could mean a less fresh postseason for him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Right, I agree he's a good fit, I'm not sure he's worth that contract though. I think playing with Gaudreau and Tkachuk has people thinking he's a pt per game player that was just stuck in a bad situation, and I'm not sold. I guess he had a good playoff run with Vancouver after adjusting, but I see him as a 60 pts two way center, maybe I'm underselling him or just need to adjust what that's worth these days.
A lot depends on what the objective is. I thought the objective was to see who improved and how that would reflect in the Atlantic/Eastern Conference standings this season versus “value” of the signings?

Last edited:

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
What's funny about the negative Twitter reaction is if Ottawa had traded Chychrun + the Boston 1st for Ullmark, and then signed Demelo for the 2nd pair (let's say he made it to market), everyone would have been thrilled!

Well, they basically did that, just in a slightly different way, and dumped Korpisalo as a bonus.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I’m not as high on Guentzel as most and they still have RD issues.
Guentzel plays a tough game along the boards and can finish which makes him solid in the playoffs. Stamkos has skill but at this point in his career and his previous injuries his board battle skills have dropped off.

What's funny about the negative Twitter reaction is if Ottawa had traded Chychrun + the Boston 1st for Ullmark, and then signed Demelo for the 2nd pair (let's say he made it to market), everyone would have been thrilled!

Well, they basically did that, just in a slightly different way, and dumped Korpisalo as a bonus.
Ottawa would have got dunked on if they traded Chychrun and a 1st for Ullmark

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa

I agree to an extent. I would just feel a lot more comfortable with Ullmark extended.

I really do think Jensen is the right fit for Chabot and we should give it a chance. We’re not expecting him to play 20 minutes/night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A lot depends on what the objective is. I thought the objective was to see who improved and how that would reflect in the Atlantic/Eastern Conference standings this season versus “value” of the signings.
Well, the original claim was Boston addressed it's deficiency with a high end option. It's deficiency was no number 1 Center. I don't think they really filled that, they got another number 2 center imo,

The problem is while this increases their depth, they haven't added a game breaking dynamic that you want out of your top line. He's a good fit for the way boston plays though, so I think they can make that work, but I'm unsure how much it will move the needle for them.

When you bump Zacha or Coyle down a line, you aren't likely to continue getting 60 pts out of them. They've essentially improved the 3rd line while perhaps marginally improving the top 6. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Ottawa would have got dunked on if they traded Chychrun and a 1st for Ullmark

Why? People have an exaggerated view of Chychrun. What one of the worst GMs in recent memory paid for him is irrelevant and not a true reflection of his value.

He's an offensive defenseman who didn't rank in the top-30 in scoring amongst defensemen last year, is poor in his own-end, is allergic to contact, and apparently, had issues in the locker-room.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why? People have an exaggerated view of Chychrun. What one of the worst GMs in recent memory paid for him is irrelevant and not a true reflection of his value.

He's an offensive defenseman who didn't rank in the top-30 in scoring amongst defensemen last year, is poor in his own-end, is allergic to contact, and apparently, had issues in the locker-room.
Cause goalies aren't worth much and trading a top 4 D and a 1st rounder would have been poor value for 1 year of Ullmark

I get people want to shit on Chychrun on his way out the door but he is a legit top 4 defensemen in the league and Washington is going to use him as their first option offensively

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He isn't as bad of a player as he played last year, but he also wasn't worth what Dorion gave up for him. He will almost certainly make the trade look lopsided this year, as he's likely to be a better fit in Washington than here.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
After the first two, this feels a bit like York has created the checklist to match our acquisitions rather than matched our acquisitions to an existing checklist,

Staios had said quite a few teams leading up to the offseason that he wanted to bring in a couple of good veterans (he referenced Giroux being the only guy they have). Perron definitely fits that bill.

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Don't think the sens needed to go big game hunting (though Ullmark is kinda that)

Im not sure that Jensen is as good as he thinks he is. Also not sure if the bottom 6 is better if Joseph is out the door

Lets wait and see but York's brother also is part owner of the Sens so he is not going to dunk on them
They never needed to go big game hunting .. re DeBrincat and Chychrun... is the reference
Not sure .. cool

Listening to CIH yesterday I think he legitimately likes the moves and I don't think he forms his opinion because his Brother has a small piece of the team

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Cause goalies aren't worth much and trading a top 4 D and a 1st rounder would have been poor value for 1 year of Ullmark

I get people want to shit on Chychrun on his way out the door but he is a legit top 4 defensemen in the league and Washington is going to use him as their first option offensively

Carlson is a better offensive player than Chychrun, he's still not going to be their first option imo.

Reactions: NB613

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
He isn't as bad of a player as he played last year, but he also wasn't worth what Dorion gave up for him. He will almost certainly make the trade look lopsided this year, as he's likely to be a better fit in Washington than here.

Maybe, but we'll see how Washington uses him. He's not going to be the primary shot option on PP1 there (see: Ovechkin), and Carlson is still probably ahead of him in terms of offensive D minutes.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
After the first two, this feels a bit like York has created the checklist to match our acquisitions rather than matched our acquisitions to an existing checklist,
I would say the checklist went something like

Improve the goaltending
Acquire a RD with experience that can play defense
Improve the bottom 6 probably can emphasize experience here too
Acquire a Vet forward that can play and help with the leadership

Its a tweet not an essay.

Reactions: DrEasy

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Its actually f***ing hilarious that the usual negative nancys on Twitter are very level headed about the moves and more positive than some here.

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad