Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

R2010

May 23, 2011
If you like him enough to pay 3.2M (2.6M cap hit), you can probably get him for less via free agency.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt he gets claimed and I don't think the market on him will be hot enough. It will be like Zadina last year where it's more about fit and opportunity.

It is yeah. I think i'm just overly pessimistic about how hard it is to get guys to sign in Ottawa with so much competition.

Anaheim did not qualify Max Jones and Brett Leason. With Rob DiMaio being the former assistant GM for Anaheim I wonder if the Sens look at one or both of them in free agency.
Leason would be an upgrade.

Reactions: NB613 and RAFI BOMB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Does Andlauer have a private jet?

It would be cool if they could get Laughton in town in time for the press conference. I know people will be bummed that it was 1 for 1, but at the end of the day if Pinto was going to sign an offer sheet we would have only gotten a 1st+3rd for him. A 1st+3rd is years away from helping us, Laughton can play fourth line minutes and man the PK, which with Kelly going unqualified, we sorely need. Prudent move.
One for one pinto for Laughton?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
On his podcast Seravalli says Stolarz is likely going to Toronto and that the deal could be as much as 4x4.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

View attachment 890030

There is an example of a Tanev contract using "fake years" that I posted earlier in the week before all this noise came out about the Lightning and Leafs using this strategy. It's interesting to hear that GMs have considered this before, since it's an obvious strategy to use.

The way that Tweet is worded makes it sound like the NHL knows that there is nothing they can reasonably do as long as teams aren't stupid, so they are asking nicely for teams not to do it. It sounds like an empty threat that basically says "if you're going to do it, don't make us look too stupid".

If the Leafs or Lightning offer the player a front office job, or are stupid enough to go on record about it, then yes the league might be able to interject - but with a contract like the above you can't really argue that there isn't risk for the team signing it. Tanev is not obligated to LTIRetire, so there is a chance he could still be chasing a cup 4 years in and decide he wants to keep going, even know he is not a 4M player.

A team could also reasonably argue that the cap is set to inflate dramatically. So by year 4 or 5, 3M-4M could be #6 D or bottom 6 forward type money since the cap could be 120M+ by then.

It's obviously circumvention in practice, but it doesn't become actual circumvention until there is proof of a previous agreement, direct or indirect (like a player taking a well compensated off ice job after retiring).
Amazes me how teams and agents always figuring out how to get around CBA rules so quickly. Always somebody playing games not called hockey. All Toronto (fans and media) did was bitch about Vegas and yet they did the same thing with one of their D. Now they may well potentially be playing around with contract cap circumvention games.

The league is between a rock and a hard place on this one. As with sick leave for Joe Q public, in the real world is it difficult to prove somebody is not sick. Is a player genuinely injured or just being dumped on LTIR as a ploy to circumvent a bad contract. It is not hard to find one doctor willing to sign off, provide a doctor's note as it were.

Perhaps the league needs to beef this area up with the next CBA. Negotiate a more rigorous oversight, agree on independent review of medical records for LTIR 'retirement'. They likely need a medical arbitration board. The league might also want to put more onus on the team (not the player) to prove LTIR as opposed to the onus being on the league to disprove it.

The NHL should just apply retroactive math. If a player with a 7 year contract leaves 2 years early, recalculate how much more the AAV hit would have been for the 5 years he played ignoring the last 2 years. If it is more than the actual AAV for those years, retroactively charge that amount prorated against the team's cap space over the remaining term of the original contact (2 years). There would be no advantage to playing with LTIR retirement. At the end of the day the team would simply have been charged the real actual dollars paid under the contract, not artificially stretched out to their advantage.

Example:
Original - 7 Year Contact:
AAV (7 years, 5M+4M+3M+3M+2M+2M+2M, total=21M) (AAV=21M /7 = 3M/yr)
LTIR Retired - Recalulated 5 Year Adjusted Contract
AAV (5 years, 5M+4M+3M+3M+2M), total=17M) (AAV=17M /5 = 3.4M/yr)
Delta - for the 5 years played they saved/benefited 400K/year, so 5x400K=2M
Delta would then be applied as cap hit over the remaining term of the contract... 2M ove 2 years = 1M per year.

Have no idea if that makes sense... but something like that.

NHL also needs to do something to ensure teams are as cap compliant in the post season as they are in regular season, but that it yeat another circumvention to deal with.

My brain hurts....

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So Staios has to juggle the Pinto situation and the fact that he still has Chychrun/Joseph on the books tomorrow? The guy is getting eaten alive right now. I’m not expecting much tomorrow at all.

Reactions: senswon

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
So Staios has to juggle the Pinto situation and the fact that he still has Chychrun/Joseph on the books tomorrow? The guy is getting eaten alive right now. I’m not expecting much tomorrow at all.
Thinking we get two ~2M RHD instead of Roy or someone like that, so we're not forced to pay to move Chychrun and Joseph backed into a corner. JBD can go on waivers.

We can use the assets we would have to use to pay to move them, to improve the team at the deadline instead, if we're in a playoff race.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Does Andlauer have a private jet?

It would be cool if they could get Laughton in town in time for the press conference. I know people will be bummed that it was 1 for 1, but at the end of the day if Pinto was going to sign an offer sheet we would have only gotten a 1st+3rd for him. A 1st+3rd is years away from helping us, Laughton can play fourth line minutes and man the PK, which with Kelly going unqualified, we sorely need. Prudent move.
Man are you drunk? Pinto for Laughton. Laughton is not as good as him right now is 30 and two years from UFA.

Dont get me wrong I like the player. A deal around Chychrun and Laughton with a couple picks would be great.

Ottawa will match any Pinto offer sheet. If its over 6.7 million maybe they consider letting him walk but its very doubtful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No kidding. That is an absolute crap load of wasted draft capital right there...

Dont draft small look at that list.

I'd be so down if we sent Chychrun + Joseph to WSH for Jensen + McMichael. If we can also sign Roy on top of that, massive chef's kiss for Stevie.

Sanderson - Roy
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Jensen

Let a man dream why dont'cha
Why does everyone want to trade Joseph?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Being a Sens fan is depressing lol. July 1st is always so boring for us. And how do we have no cap room with such a bad roster. f***ing Dorion
You know whats depressing missing the playoffs for 7 years. Wanting to get excitement from potentially over paying UFA's feel great when you sign Korpisalo for 5 seasons eh. Its like ya'll werent fans when Marshall Johnston ran this team or you have stockhold syndrome from Dorion. You guys seem to want uncalculated idiotic decisions being made.

This board needs to get a grip. The season starts in October some of the insane panic posts are wild, take a deep breath its literally not even 12 PM on July 1st. UFA's literally cant even be signed.

Ottawa will match any Pinto offer unless its over 6.7 million per then maybe they consider letting him walk.

I mean the last 2 years the Sens have signed someone noteworthy after July 1st. Giroux 2 years ago and Tarasenko last year.

Not much this year though.
Can you see the future?

I’m a little concerned for tomorrow

Without Jakob moved we don’t really have much $ to spend with Pinto needing a contract and all the holes in our bottom 6.
The season starts in October.
Wonder what's up with Chychrun? A little surprised that we haven't heard a peep on this guy - not a single insider has even suggested that there are discussions happening.
Probably because the sens have a real GM right now and nothing is getting leaked.
low pims

Nils Lundqvist not receiving an offer from Dallas.

Wouldn’t mind him as a 3rd pair RD.
They literally could not play him in the playoffs. He got 3 minutes of ice time. Why do you guys want these midget D men?

So no Yamamoto then lol
Thank god.

Well I really hope that doesn't happen
8 million on Woll and Stolarz. I sure do.

Reactions: Masked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad