Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I’m a little concerned for tomorrow

Without Jakob moved we don’t really have much $ to spend with Pinto needing a contract and all the holes in our bottom 6.
Being a Sens fan is depressing lol. July 1st is always so boring for us. And how do we have no cap room with such a bad roster. f***ing Dorion

Reactions: Cosmix

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

Media availability 3 hours after the market opens? Doesn't sound like they expect to get much done.

Probably routine, but does kind of smell like something to discuss, maybe extension(s)?

A little reality intervention. Not too long ago a lot of players on this list were highly touted draft picks,
It’s official, Formenton no longer a Senator

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I think they're compliant with Oshie and Backstrom on LTIR.

That said, I still feel like this is where Chychrun ends up if he moves. They are one of the few teams that could use an offensive LD, they've been interested in him in the past, and they have the right pieces to trade.

If they'd send back TVR and Connor McMichael, Staios has probably done fine. Gets a short-term upgrade at RD at a fair number and a young top-9 forward which we need.
I'd be so down if we sent Chychrun + Joseph to WSH for Jensen + McMichael. If we can also sign Roy on top of that, massive chef's kiss for Stevie.

Sanderson - Roy
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Jensen

Let a man dream why dont'cha

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Being a Sens fan is depressing lol. July 1st is always so boring for us. And how do we have no cap room with such a bad roster. f***ing Dorion

I mean the last 2 years the Sens have signed someone noteworthy after July 1st. Giroux 2 years ago and Tarasenko last year.

Not much this year though.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nick Robertson wants out of Toronto. Any interest there for the bottom 6?

I mean the last 2 years the Sens have signed someone noteworthy after July 1st. Giroux 2 years ago and Tarasenko last year.

Not much this year though.
Nor did they ever seem to partake much in general. There was usually a lot of cautioning from Bruce, etc. leading up to July 1 that the Sens wouldn't be getting involved.

They were generally trying to figure out how to fit in a 20 man roster in to their below cap budget, not be out there handing out UFA cheques.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Bertuzzi also gone from Toronto.

Glad he came to his senses.
Not surprising. Sounds like Tanev is coming in at 5 mil, so running out of room there. Still need a tandem tender. Some optimism initially in that cap circumvention 7 year idea to lower the hit on Tanev. but doesn't sound like that'll be the case.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Probably routine, but does kind of smell like something to discuss, maybe extension(s)?

"Formenton’s NHL rights will remain with the Ottawa Senators through July 1, 2027, because he received a qualifying offer that he didn’t accept following the 2021-22 NHL season and was then moved to their reserve list."

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Surprised Kelly didn't get an offer. I don't like him at all and think he's a terrible nhl player but I know he had some fans.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'm inclined to put a waiver claim on Boqvist. He's a reclamation project with injury trouble and a cap hit that's about ~1 mil higher than I'd like. But I have watched games where he's been good and I think he could still find his way to being a Stralman type player if he has some better injury luck.

If you like him enough to pay 3.2M (2.6M cap hit), you can probably get him for less via free agency.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt he gets claimed and I don't think the market on him will be hot enough. It will be like Zadina last year where it's more about fit and opportunity.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Does Andlauer have a private jet?

It would be cool if they could get Laughton in town in time for the press conference. I know people will be bummed that it was 1 for 1, but at the end of the day if Pinto was going to sign an offer sheet we would have only gotten a 1st+3rd for him. A 1st+3rd is years away from helping us, Laughton can play fourth line minutes and man the PK, which with Kelly going unqualified, we sorely need. Prudent move.

Reactions: BondraTime

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I’m a little concerned for tomorrow

Without Jakob moved we don’t really have much $ to spend with Pinto needing a contract and all the holes in our bottom 6.
Salary cap doesn't apply in the offseason. This is the first offseason for the Sens under new ownership. Under the previous ownership there was an internal budget and they almost never spent to the cap. They would also never put themselves in a position where they would be well over the cap and need to remedy that before the season started.

Technically, the Sens can sign a number of big contracts in free agency but it would create some further challenges of being forced to make trades throughout the offseason to get back under the cap.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

It would be cool if they could get Laughton in town in time for the press conference. I know people will be bummed that it was 1 for 1, but at the end of the day if Pinto was going to sign an offer sheet we would have only gotten a 1st+3rd for him. A 1st+3rd is years away from helping us, Laughton can play fourth line minutes and man the PK, which with Kelly going unqualified, we sorely need. Prudent move.

Huh??

This must be one of your jokes that you're about to explain at length.

Reactions: Dionysus

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

He’s still on our reserve list apparently. I think because he went to Europe while he was qualified by us in summer 2022.

Don’t you put that evil on me

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Surprised Kelly didn't get an offer. I don't like him at all and think he's a terrible nhl player but I know he had some fans.
He was arbitration eligible. A player with arbitration rights can just file for arbitration if they don't like the offers they are getting. That can create a meaningful challenge for a management group because they don't know how much cap they will be forced to set aside. It puts the organization in a tough spot because they clearly value the player enough to qualify them. It typically means they will pass on signing free agents with the expectation that a contract will be worked out.

The arbitrator can award the player a higher salary and cap hit than what the organization was hoping for which can create complications with managing their cap or give them less cap flexibility to make additions throughout the season. The team does have the option to not pay the awarded salary but that means they relinquish the rights to the player. The end result can be that the organization loses the player anyway, missed out on signing a quality replacement and is no bargain shopping for whatever UFAs are still on the market.

It is very common that organizations don't qualify depth players who hold arbitration rights. They would know prior to qualification offers being due what kind of contract the player is looking for and if they want too much they will know whether they want to risk going through the arbitration process.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He’s still on our reserve list apparently. I think because he went to Europe while he was qualified by us in summer 2022.

Don’t you put that evil on me

We own his rights while he is still an RFA, but it is a formality. I assume that unlike with draft rights, we don't have an avenue to denounce his rights and nobody (not even the Bruins) are going to sign him to an offer sheet, so the entire thing is a formality until they lapse.

Which isn't a comment on how they should or shouldn't handle the situation, I just don't think this is the same as denouncing the rights to a prospect. They just have to wait until the rights legally lapse. I could be wrong.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Anaheim did not qualify Max Jones and Brett Leason. With Rob DiMaio being the former assistant GM for Anaheim I wonder if the Sens look at one or both of them in free agency.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I wonder if the Sens look at Brett Murray on a 2 way contract. He seems like he fits what the Sens like. Adding players like Brett Murray, Nick Ritchie and Brett Richie for Belleville would be solid organizational depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00