Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are great options as LD in this draft. The point is capspace, who said you cant find a cheaper option at LD to replace Chabot? Especially when you move him. I think Chychrun is the easier guy to move and why he is being shopped but he still is a really good dman.
A guy we draft this week isn't likely to be ready for top 4 duties in a year from now, great options or not.

It's madness to create a giant hole in our roster in the hope that who we draft will fill it a year from now, especially when we really need to make a push right now and show progress,

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
A guy we draft this week isn't likely to be ready for top 4 duties in a year from now, great options or not.

It's madness to create a giant hole in our roster in the hope that who we draft will fill it a year from now, especially when we really need to make a push right now and show progress,
I also said moving Chabot clears cap space to bring in another cheaper dman. Again, the point is capspace clearance to have more flexibility this offseason to add to area of need. Getting top 4RD is big priority with big price tag. Having 2 high priced LD when RD is so weak is madness.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
uVQT0WJD.jpg
Came to post this killed me. Thank you sir.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I also said moving Chabot clears cap space to bring in another cheaper dman. Again, the point is capspace clearance to have more flexibility this offseason to add to area of need. Getting top 4RD is big priority with big price tag.
Ok, the point made is you need to bring in another top 4 replacement if you move both Chabot and Chychrun, that doesn't change based on who you draft Friday, we need to bring in a Top 4 D to replace a top 4 D. When you move two, you need to replace two.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Ok, the point made is you need to bring in another top 4 replacement if you move both Chabot and Chychrun, that doesn't change based on who you draft Friday, we need to bring in a Top 4 D to replace a top 4 D. When you move two, you need to replace two.
I didn't say move Chychrun the same time as Chabot did I? You can find another LD next off-season if need be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't say move Chychrun the same time as Chabot did I? You can find another LD next off-season if need be.
You said move him at the deadline for a pick in a season where results matter.

Anyway you cut it, we'd need to replace both, can't rely on who we draft to be that replacement.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
:sens
Jakob Chychrun LHD (4.6M x 1Y)
Jacob Bernard-Docker RHD (805k x 1Y)
2024 117th Overall Pick

:kings
Arthur Kaliyev (RFA, Non-Arb)
Andreas Englund (1M x 1Y)
2024 21st Overall Pick

• It meets the price of Chychrun or a 1st+2nd, but instead of a 2nd we get Kaliyev, who has ties to Staios from their time in the OHL.
  • LAK does not have many picks this year and does not have a 2nd, so Kaliyev makes sense in place of it.
  • Sens want to move on from JBD. They swap him for Englund. Both are 6th-7th defensemen. Englund adds a physical element that our roster is missing, even if ideally he doesn't play a lot of minutes.
  • LAK would likely demand a pick from Ottawa in order to move their first, because otherwise they would only have 3 picks in this draft.
This is the kind of package where a team could either extend Chychrun, or keep him as a rental until the deadline where they might have the option to recoup something close to that pick if they are out of the playoffs and he is healthy.

Reactions: DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Ughhhhhhhhh f***ing go away Hamonic

There are a few possibilities.
  1. They expect to have a second buyout window due to arbitration. So they don't need to make a call on Hamonic right away.
  2. It costs more cap wise to buy out Hamonic and replace him with a 775k+ body than it does to sit him in the press box.
  3. They might have found a trade where he would agree to waive.
  4. Hamonic agreed to move to Belleville.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
2024 117th Overall Pick

2024 21st Overall Pick

• It meets the price of Chychrun or a 1st+2nd, but instead of a 2nd we get Kaliyev, who has ties to Staios from their time in the OHL.
  • LAK does not have many picks this year and does not have a 2nd, so Kaliyev makes sense in place of it.
  • Sens want to move on from JBD. They swap him for Englund. Both are 6th-7th defensemen. Englund adds a physical element that our roster is missing, even if ideally he doesn't play a lot of minutes.
  • LAK would likely demand a pick from Ottawa in order to move their first, because otherwise they would only have 3 picks in this draft.
This is the kind of package where a team could either extend Chychrun, or keep him as a rental until the deadline where they might have the option to recoup something close to that pick if they are out of the playoffs and he is healthy.
I'd love to get Englund back.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
2024 117th Overall Pick

2024 21st Overall Pick

Hmmm. Not very good. Two useless players and a late first. Probably ends up giving chychrun away. We can do better

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Hmmm. Not very good. Two useless players and a late first. Probably ends up giving chychrun away. We can do better

The ask is a 1st+2nd. The above scenario is based off of that. While I believe Kaliyev is probably worth less than a 2nd to most teams, teams rarely get their exact ask.

JBD/Englund swap is just a fun add for the Aragorn in all of us. It doesn't really play into the value since both players aren't likely to be worth much.

I would love something like 15+47 from Detroit so that we have a chance of getting a top 10 talent who falls to use, but I don't think that is likely.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There are a few possibilities.
  1. They expect to have a second buyout window due to arbitration. So they don't need to make a call on Hamonic right away.
  2. It costs more cap wise to buy out Hamonic and replace him with a 775k+ body than it does to sit him in the press box.
  3. They might have found a trade where he would agree to waive.
  4. Hamonic agreed to move to Belleville.
Hamonic's cap hit is too low to qualify for the second buyout window.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Looks like the Leafs will go hard after Tanev. How much would we need to outspend them to get him, and how many more years?

Depends on if they trade for his brother.

Imagine the bidding war that Seattle could create and the tense atmosphere in the Senators war room breaking out into cheers and celebration as they complete the call to send the 7th overall over for Brandon Tanev.

Hamonic's cap hit is too low to qualify for the second buyout window.

I was unaware of that, thank you for the info.

Will paste the rule below from Puckpedia for anybody else who also didn't know.

Teams may receive an additional Buyout window. If a team has a player go to arbitration and it is either settled or awarded, the team receives a new 48 hour buyout window beginning 3 days after the arbitration settlement or award. The only contracts that are eligible to be bought out in this window are for player with Cap Hits greater than $4M AND they were on the team's roster at the last trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad