Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Markstrom was in the Vezina hunt for more than half the season, his numbers do not tell the story of his season.
What is the story? Inconsistencies? First 19 games, average. Next 19, great, final 10 brutal.

Talbot was the runaway favourite for the Vezina at one point, then finished the year pretty average, if you aren't consistently good, then what good are you?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What is the story? Inconsistencies? First 19 games, average. Next 19, great, final 10 brutal.

Talbot was the runaway favourite for the Vezina at one point, then finished the year pretty average, if you aren't consistently good, then what good are you?
That seems to follow the trend of their team this year in general.

They came out flat and dug a not quite Edmonton sized hole, then they sorta dug themselves out but not enough to make the playoffs.

Then they traded away a few big guys and rolled out a lesser roster to finish the year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Markstrom at 4.125M for 2 years is probably worth what will likely be a late 1st a year from now.

Glad they took him off the board. I bet we were offering the 25th OVR but he didn't want to come here.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Their entire team fell off a cliff. I’d also argue that Markstrom has been one of the more consistent goalies in the last 5 years. Behind Vasi, Bucky, Saros, Igor, Otter, Demko, and the Boston two, he stands up nicely to just about anyone.

He led the league in GSAE for much of the year and finished top 10 (7th amongst regulars), too. He isnt in the top group of goalies, but he’s usually been near the top of the next group.

Their entire team fell off a cliff. I’d also argue that Markstrom has been one of the more consistent goalies in the last 5 years. Behind Vasi, Bucky, Saros, Igor, Otter, Demko, and the Boston two, he stands up nicely to just about anyone.

He led the league in GSAE for much of the year and finished top 10 (7th amongst regulars). He’s not a top goalie but he’s right in that next group behind them.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I wouldn’t have traded Kleven and Boston 1st for that deal.
We are somewhat hamstrung by the lack of assets we can afford to give up.

If we go big game goalie hunting then I want it to be a big time goalie. I’d pay for that, rather than whittle down what assets we have for a “pretty good” short term solution.

Askarov
Saros (signed)
Sorokin

Not saying id give up the 7th but I’d rather do that than give up Kleven and a mid 1st for Markstrom.

Reactions: senswon

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That seems to follow the trend of their team this year in general.

They came out flat and dug a not quite Edmonton sized hole, then they sorta dug themselves out but not enough to make the playoffs.

Then they traded away a few big guys and rolled out a lesser roster to finish the year.
Ok, what about last year?

He was brutal most of the year, yet the team itself finished much better.

I think he was an excellent goalie, that is currently on the wrong side of where age related regression kicks in and it's taking its toll. Maybe with a lighter workload he'd be fine, but I'm not convinced he is a good option unless the cost to acquire is discounted, which it looks like it was not.

Oct 10, 2010
I dunno l, but I think I’d trade #7 for Askarov if need be.

Russian goalies are the best in the world and we be getting a franchise one for the first time ever!

At 22 he’s ready to come in and play very soon.

Buyout Korpisalo, trade Forsberg and the money we save is pretty decent to improve other areas!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Russian goalies are the best in the world and we be getting a franchise goalie for the first time ever probably if he lives up the expectations.

I wouldn't, he's still very far from being a sure thing imo.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Russian goalies are the best in the world and we be getting a franchise goalie for the first time ever probably if he lives up the expectations.

I agree.
If Askarov was in the draft this year and you could get what he is now of would you not pick him at 7?

Who would you take over him at 7?

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Preach homie!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Markstrom at 4.125M for 2 years is probably worth what will likely be a late 1st a year from now.

Glad they took him off the board. I bet we were offering the 25th OVR but he didn't want to come here.
Probably 25th + JBD, which would be fair IMO. I like him, but there are other options

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ok, what about last year?

He was brutal most of the year, yet the team itself finished much better.

I think he was an excellent goalie, that is currently on the wrong side of where age related regression kicks in and it's taking its toll. Maybe with a lighter workload he'd be fine, but I'm not convinced he is a good option unless the cost to acquire is discounted, which it looks like it was not.
That year with the .892 save % is probably the weakest I've ever seen him, but the team was also underperforming and was the end of Daryl Sutter's tenure. Vladar also saw a .011 save % drop year on year, so something was in the water there that year or something. Markstrom had been above .910 save % every year but 1 of the 7 prior where he had .905. No excuse either way, but he is a guy I see as relatively consistent.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Package 25+Chychrun return for Weegar? It's pretty clear where this Calgary team is headed.
I wonder if they'd be willing to take Forsberg off our hands for a low-level prospect/pick and no cap coming back? Not sure they're gonna wanna roll with Vladar and Wolf for an entire season and he's a UFA at the end of the year, so no commitment for them.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Sharks claim Goodrow. A bit surprising, but it makes sense. They are going to need veterans with Celebrini coming in. Not necessarily star top players, just guys to create the right environment. Similar to how Chicago overpaid to bring in a bunch of 30+ year old players when they got Bedard.

They are going to have a difficult time attracting players because of how bad they are, and it is possibly that they were in his no trade list.

Great deal for the Rangers to get rid of all that cap.

I bet this was premeditated between both teams.

Reactions: NB613

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
See you soon Korpisalo-Forsberg reality.
At least we'll be guaranteed another lottery pick!
7+Chychrun for Weegar+9 if Iginla is on the board.
Not enough value to include Weegar imo and Chychrun may not be a great fit given the direction of the team.

Calgary has no need for Chychrun. Maybe a three-way trade.

Look at that, San Jose bails out the Rangers from the Goodrow contract.
Watch them make a deal this summer with SJ getting the better return with this basically being a favor in advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad