Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Goodbye Markstrom dream, hello Ullmark dream

This sets the market for Ullmark. Very similar situation because his ability to choose his destination to sign an extension with acts like a NTC (see Debrincat).

I was joking about us being able to trade Korpisalo, but a goalie market like this is why someone will take Forsberg from us. Forsberg kn an expiring contract will be a last resort for someone who needs NHL goalie depth and doesn't want to or can't overpay.

Reactions: SensFactor

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It'll be expensive but we have Chychrun (or his potential return) and 25th overall at our disposal. Gotta get it done.
Have to. It's giving up on the season not to upgrade on Korpisalo.
With what Markstrom went for, I'm thinking we can at least get a few second round picks for Korpisalo.
Lol. Jackie Moon might negotiate with us for the Flint Tropics' used washing machine.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Markstrom at 4 million is a pretty palatable contract

Korpisalo type money

I think both that and the term are part of it.

Saros and Ullmark will take 5+ year big money contracts with some form of trade protection.

Even the UFAs like Stolarz and Broissot are goijg to get overpaid in term because of the market.

Bahl is a nice piece, but they traded from a position of strength. If they are a playoff team next year or the year after, they don't regret giving up the 1st. If they aren't, they may recoup a pick in 1.5 years by trading Markstrom at the deadline if he wants to try to win.

It's not a bad move by New Jersey, but I would have been disappointed if we made the equivalent trade. We don't have many assets and don't have much cap flexibility.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Bahl is not as good as people hype him up to be here. 3rd pairing guy and 1st for retention is pretty decent value for both sides imo

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Sens are either going to give up way too much in a trade, or roll with some alphabet soup between the pipes all year

Neither one is appealing.

I am leaning towards the 2nd option seeing how inconsistent goaltending has been league wide (unless you got a star).

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t think bahl is that great. And New Jersey is counting on that first being late. It’s an ok haul for Calgary. But it shows that goalies are never bringing in massive packages
That’s a big package for a 35 year old coming off two average years.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Just trade for Askarov Ullmark and Saros contracts are going to be silly.

Trade for a very good young goalie and save millions!

If you are Nashville, what would you ask for in exchange for Askarov?

They were trying to get a top 10 pick for him last year.

I think they would want 7th overall. While that wouldn't be the worst trade to make considering he is a young "top 10 talent", the point is that trading for Askarov may not be an easy solution.

I think we likely end with someone like Gustavsson. Or, we flip Korpisalo for another goalie who has negative value like Grubauer or Campbell.

Korpisalo for Campbell makes sense for Edmonton purely as a cap trade because Korpisalo costs less buried, or if they want to go the buyout route, his buyout is also cheaper over the next 2 years (when they are guaranteed to still have McDavid). Korpisalo's buyout is about 800k cheaper this season, and 1.5M cheaper next season, at the expense of being slightly longer than Campbell's buyout.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
That trade seems fair for both sides, wished NJD had to give up Holtz as well. They have too much young developing talent in their pool.

Our equivalent would've had to have been the 25th overall and Kleven to start, but probably more because Kleven is still a prospect

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Markstrom at 4 million is a pretty palatable contract

Korpisalo type money
Markstrom at 4 mil for two years is pretty decent, since Markstrom should be an average starter both years, but I am a bit surprised he got Bahl and a first.

That's a great return for Cgy imo. I wouldn't be happy if we had that up for him,

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad