Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I really wouldn’t. I like Cernak and would easily move Chychrun + for him. He has the snarl we are missing in our top 4.

Batherson however, really responded to Jacques and staff post DJ and I’d like to see where that leads.
And Batherson is finally healthy after that ankle injury & put up a record season & will only get better.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wouldn't be happy at that straight swap. Chychrun is a better defenseman even if people bash on him for not being as physical as they expect him to be.
Tampa fans who aren't homers can clearly see Cernak's decline. If people are risk averse over Chychrun being 'injury-prone', I don't know how they'll feel about Cernak.

I would agree with you if Chychrun had term or was willing to extend here.

The dynamic of the trade is that we trade 1 year of Chychrun for Cernak with term.

Chychrun is probably worth a mid to late first and a few B or C pieces. So I would look at it more like would we be happy giving up a late 1st and a few smaller pieces for Cernak, not would we be happy giving up Chychrun long term since he is not staying here.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Batherson is the last contract we should be looking to move. He isn't the most skilled player but he has the best contract on the team by a lot. Although I expect Sandy to pass him in that regards soon

I tend to agree, especially if we find a better option for the top-6 and he serves more of a mid-6 role. Bit of a luxury to have his talent on the third line but his cap hit makes it palpable.

Reactions: Relapsing

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm all for trading Chychrun for Cernak, but if an RD falls into our lap at the draft (Levshunov is doubtful, so say, Parekh), where does Cernak fit?

In that case I'd be ok with trading Chychrun for a bruising middle-6 forward instead. Go with Zub, JBD, Brannstrom at RD till the drafted RD is ready.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm all for trading Chychrun for Cernak, but if an RD falls into our lap at the draft (Levshunov is doubtful, so say, Parekh), where does Cernak fit?

In that case I'd be ok with trading Chychrun for a bruising middle-6 forward instead. Go with Zub, JBD, Brannstrom at RD till the drafted RD is ready.
Anyone we draft is likely 3 years away so many things can change.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

There are no RD’s in this draft (in our range) who are ready for an NHL top 4 spot anytime within the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: DrEasy

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Calgary has (still) something of a Glitter of RD. I still think Huberdeau has some magic left.

Can something around Chabot + work for Andersson and Huberdeau?

Hube - Stu - Giroux (nice ring to it)
Brady - Pinto - Bath
Ostapchuk - Greig - Joseph
3 - other - guys

Sanderson - Andersson
Someone - Zub
Klevin - JBD

I'm assuming Norris never plays in the NHL again in this scenario.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: NB613 and Sens9292

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I'm much more interested in shoring up our goaltending long term than in acquiring a right shot defenseman. Ideally we do both but goaltending has to be the top priority.

I keep hearing names like Stolarz or Brossoit as possible solutions in nets but rather than roll the dice on a journeyman tender I'd like to see us go hard after Joel Hofer. There are no sure things with goalies but I strongly believe that Hofer will be elite for a long time. I could see St Louis having interest in Chychrun given their aging and uninspiring defensive core.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Calgary has (still) something of a Glitter of RD. I still think Huberdeau has some magic left.

Can something around Chabot + work for Andersson and Huberdeau?

Hube - Stu - Giroux (nice ring to it)
Brady - Pinto - Bath
Ostapchuk - Greig - Joseph
3 - other - guys

Sanderson - Andersson
Someone - Zub
Klevin - JBD

I'm assuming Norris never plays in the NHL again in this scenario.
We can’t lose BOTH Chabot and Chychrun.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Parekh plays one more year where he tightens up his defensive game and skating and then makes the bigs. He will have nothing else to learn in junior.

Guys like Buim, Lev, Sil, Dickinson arguably even more ready.

Reactions: scout20

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think they swap out some young guys for veterans

Like Joseph for Coleman
Norris for Couturier

Bases like that

Then target a RHD with Chychrun either via trade (Cernak/Parayko) or by freeing up some cap space and attempting ufa

That’s my guess right now, stuff like this

Reactions: Loach

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think they swap out some young guys for veterans

Like Joseph for Coleman
Norris for Couturier

Bases like that

Then target a RHD with Chychrun either via trade (Cernak/Parayko) or by freeing up some cap space and attempting ufa

That’s my guess right now, stuff like this
???
Couturier has basically the same contract and injury history but is older.

Reactions: NB613

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
???
Couturier has basically the same contract and injury history but is older.
Yup, just spitballing - knows Giroux well and changed agents to Brisson

I don’t think Norris would have tons of value with his injuries as well. Maybe Brayden Schenn or Logan Couture, that type of mold.

Was thinking of another veteran player whos team may pull the trigger.

I think we will want a veteran centre between Pinto and Stützle. I could also see them putting a package together for Boone Jenner and moving Norris to wing

talightf52

Dec 21, 2019
I'm much more interested in shoring up our goaltending long term than in acquiring a right shot defenseman. Ideally we do both but goaltending has to be the top priority.

I keep hearing names like Stolarz or Brossoit as possible solutions in nets but rather than roll the dice on a journeyman tender I'd like to see us go hard after Joel Hofer. There are no sure things with goalies but I strongly believe that Hofer will be elite for a long time. I could see St Louis having interest in Chychrun given their aging and uninspiring defensive core.
That's a good point about Hofer, I'd even be interested in Binnington bringing some of his fire to the Sens. I'm really hoping for a drastic change in goaltending, still kinda hoping something could be done about getting Saros, not sure we the capital to pull it off though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Some of the expectations on this thread are hillarious. If we replace a goalie it will be Forsberg and we won’t be getting anyone like Markstrom or Saros, and it’s highly unlikely we get an Ulmark.

On D Staios wants some big and mean, he will likely prioritize Tanev but whoever we get will be panned by most here.

The moves will seem underwhelming but will probably make the team much better.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Lots of RD a in the top 15 of the draft and that’s great for Ottawa because they could move back and still get a guy like Jiriceck who would be a great fit and if you’re going to be waiting 2-3 years for the player to make the NHL why not move back? Travis Green had Markstrom before so here goes:

Ottawa: Jacob Markstrom, Rasmus Anderson, 9th overall pick
Calgary: 7th overall pick, Thomas Chabot, Mathieu Joseph, Levi Marilenan/Mads Sogaard

Calgary drafts Tij Iginla
Ottawa drafts Divid Jireck

Sandy - Anderson
Chychryn - Zub
Kleven - Vet RD in trade or FA

Markstrom
Korpisalo

This would solve the goalie and D in 1 move. Then use your Boston 1st, Brannstrom ++ to get the top 6 forward you need to help Stu develop

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some of the expectations on this thread are hillarious. If we replace a goalie it will be Forsberg and we won’t be getting anyone like Markstrom or Saros, and it’s highly unlikely we get an Ulmark.

On D Staios wants some big and mean, he will likely prioritize Tanev but whoever we get will be panned by most here.

The moves will seem underwhelming but will probably make the team much better.

I tend to agree.

The dream is Ulmark/Saros and Pesce

The hope is Stolarz/Broisoit and Tanev

The reality is Rantaa and Lyubushkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad