GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dubas’ answer about the goalies entering UFA was weird. If he’s not trying to move Jarry, I’m not convinced he’s not trying to have him assassinated.
It definitely doesn't make much sense to me to keep Jarry and give Ned that contract. If he wanted to keep Jarry he should have just went dirt cheap with a backup.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dubas’ answer about the goalies entering UFA was weird. If he’s not trying to move Jarry, I’m not convinced he’s not trying to have him assassinated.

It's entirely possible there isn't a deal out there considering how um... generous... Jarry's contract is versus his accomplishments. I just think it would be awfully weird to head into next season with him on the team considering how the year ended.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s dump Acciari and get Kotkaniemi for zilch:

O’Connor - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Eller - Kotkaniemi - Lizotte
Beauvillier - Hayes - Puustinen
Poulin, Puljujarvi

That’s a good forward group, and lots of bottom 6 mix-and-match options.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Let’s dump Acciari and get Kotkaniemi for zilch:

O’Connor - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell
Eller - Kotkaniemi - Lizotte
Beauvillier - Hayes - Puustinen
Poulin, Puljujarvi

That’s a good forward group, and lots of bottom 6 mix-and-match options.
7 guys who can play C lol

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Crosby is the the reason Malkin came back. He's not leaving. If the plan is to recoup assets just in time for Crosby to finish his final couple season, I don't think Crosby would be too unwilling to do that. I do think they would do well to get a top six player, even a flawed one, to make the prospect of competing next year a little more fun for him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Zegras has his warts but massive, massive example of perception and reality being different. He is not nearly as soft as people make him out to be. He’s not a bad skater. Being a bit of a prick/shithead was part of his game at the NTDP and he’s a lot harder on pucks than he gets credit for. I’d swap Pickering or Yager for him in 2 seconds.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Zegras has his warts but massive, massive example of perception and reality being different. He is not nearly as soft as people make him out to be. He’s not a bad skater. Being a bit of a prick/shithead was part of his game at the NTDP and he’s a lot harder on pucks than he gets credit for. I’d swap Pickering or Yager for him in 2 seconds.
No brainer. Especially Pickering. Zegras imo will be a better winger than C anyway, stick him with Sid and watch his warts improve.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think the funny part would be we would acquire Zegras and he'd essentially be a 40-50 pt player similar to Rakell here.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t really want to acquire Zegras, but I’d trade Pickering for him in an instant.
Absolutely! But I view Pickering as at best a long shot to be anything but a depth defensemen. I doubt the Ducks would even consider that.

Would move Pickering as well for Zegras. I don't think all that highly of Pickering.

Yager, no way.
100% agree.

Reactions: Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Absolutely! But I view Pickering as at best a long shot to be anything but a depth defensemen. I doubt the Ducks would even consider that.

You know, I've been watching a lot of hockey lately. Great sport, really tremendous. And I've been hearing a lot about this guy, Owen Pickering. Have you heard of him? Owen Pickering. Well, let me tell you, folks, I've seen the reports, I've talked to the experts, and I have to say, he's not looking so great. Not so great at all.

They say he's a prospect, right? But I've seen better. Much better. He's tall, sure, but height isn't everything. You need the skills, the talent, the drive. And I'm just not seeing it with Pickering. Not seeing it at all.

People are talking about his defense. They say he's solid, but when you look at the numbers, folks, they're not impressive. Not impressive at all. And I've seen defensemen, the best defensemen, and Owen Pickering, he's just not cutting it. Not even close.

Honestly, I don't get it. I really don't. There are so many better players out there. So many. And yet, they're talking about Pickering like he's the next big thing. Well, I have to tell you, I have my doubts. Big doubts.

And let me just say, the competition is tough. The NHL is tough. It's not a place for mediocre players, and Owen Pickering, from what I can see, he's just not up to the challenge. Not at all.

So, folks, let's be real here. Let's not get carried away with the hype. Owen Pickering, he's got a long way to go. A very long way. And until he proves otherwise, I’m not buying it. Not one bit.

Thank you, everybody, thank you. God bless.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Window closed when we anoited Mike Sullivan's employment to be more important than success.

Rosters they past few years have been fine enough to win a playoff round.

Honestly one of the most bizarre decisions I've ever seen is retaining Mike Sullivan after the last two seasons.

Just don't see it. I don't think he's anything special.

Liiga as a league has largely fallen off. Look at the "dominate" players in that league and what they've done in the NHL over the last five years.
You can't write it off completely. Puustinen was solid in Liiga and it translated. Sullivan is hell bent on making sure he never gets used correctly but yeah. I also looked at Hallander and it's sad he left but I 100% get why he did.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Would move Pickering as well for Zegras. I don't think all that highly of Pickering.

Yager, no way.
Ducks are a top 5 prospect pool in the league. Pickering doesn't move their needle in the least and neither does Yager. They'd be more interested in a 1st round no conditions and maybe a player that fits their young group that can play now. They were looking for nhl ready players since they have a few that are gonna need time.

1st + Puustinen + Poulin would be it I think.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ducks are a top 5 prospect pool in the league. Pickering doesn't move their needle in the least and neither does Yager. They'd be more interested in a 1st round no conditions and maybe a player that fits their young group that can play now. They were looking for nhl ready players since they have a few that are gonna need time.

I don't think we can afford to give up a first any more, lottery protected or no.

Do agree that I doubt the Ducks would move Zegras for a package centered around Pickering.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I don't think we can afford to give up a first any more, lottery protected or no.

Do agree that I doubt the Ducks would move Zegras for a package centered around Pickering.
The Penguins honestly are not in a position to trade for Zegras or those types because of the assets they have to give up, from a prospect pool that sits in the lower bottom half of the league.

Pickering wouldn't even be a top 4 defense prospect for them with Mintyukov, Zellweger, Stolberg, and even blokes like Luneau. Yager would be more on their radar than Pickering.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Penguins honestly are not in a position to trade for Zegras or those types because of the assets they have to give up, from a prospect pool that sits in the lower bottom half of the league.

Pickering wouldn't even be a top 4 defense prospect for them with Mintyukov, Zellweger, Stolberg, and even blokes like Luneau. Yager would be more on their radar than Pickering.
True. It would be hard to top what another team might offer for Zegras.

We can't give up the first under any circumstance given we could easily be a lottery team this year or next. So lottery protecting it this year wouldn't even help.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It's crazy the Sabres gave up Savoie for McLeod. If they desperately wanted a 3c, there's others they could have traded. They literally gifted the Oilers damn good prospect for McLeod.

Watching Savoie when I was seeing the MJW games for Yager, sure he's small but that's a small player with some insane skill.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

I don't even think Anaheim would want a 1st if they are moving Zegras.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
True. It would be hard to top what another team might offer for Zegras.

We can't give up the first under any circumstance given we could easily be a lottery team this year or next. So lottery protecting it this year wouldn't even help.
For the Pens to get Zegras, all the other teams would need to be uninterested, Zegras asking for a deal and Anaheim not wanting him at all and the Pens being the only team offering with time running out to move him.

That's the only way the sub par offerings the Pens have, would land him.

I don't even think Anaheim would want a 1st if they are moving Zegras.
I would figure from the Pens, it's the best they can offer given it'll be a decent spot pick and the pool not being enough to make the needle twitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad