GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McLeod is a good player. I wish this team had a McLeod... hell maybe it does but how would we even know? But you're right... unless there is some serious issue we don't know about Savoie then you gotta stick with that upside. Like you said... what's the rush? It's not like Buffalo is a McLeod away from turning things around.

EDIT: Buffalo fans seem kinda split about it, though. A lot are very pleased to get a 3C even if it's for their best prospect. Which I don't really understand at all but hey.

I don't think McLeod is even a center.

Just realized with Ando signed we have 49 contract of 50 contracts signed.

Jesus christ.

• Wow
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think McLeod is even a center.

Yeah I was just reading this. Even weirder.

I also didn't realize how underwhelming McLeod's numbers were. For some reason I thought he had been more productive.

Still a good player but man... unless you are a win-now team with a very, very specific need for a player like McLeod I guess I just don't get it. And Buffalo ain't that. Savoie might be a bit of a lottery ticket at this point still but I think it's still a gamble most people would be more than willing to take.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
McLeod is a good player. I wish this team had a McLeod... hell maybe it does but how would we even know? But you're right... unless there is some serious issue we don't know about Savoie then you gotta stick with that upside. Like you said... what's the rush? It's not like Buffalo is a McLeod away from turning things around.

EDIT: Buffalo fans seem kinda split about it, though. A lot are very pleased to get a 3C even if it's for their best prospect. Which I don't really understand at all but hey.
Pono could be McLeod but we’ll never know because Sullivan will play Hayes over him lol…

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why are we so sure they are actually trying to move Eller? I feel like this team absolutely loved him last season. To the point of getting to be obnoxious.
I don't believe this team's trying to move any of the guys we bring up; Jarry, Graves, or Eller. :laugh: Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised they dumped Smith. That'll be negated by them re-signing Petts for no reason though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't believe this team's trying to move any of the guys we bring up; Jarry, Graves, or Eller. :laugh: Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised they dumped Smith. That'll be negated by them re-signing Petts for no reason though.

I don't think things have changed SO much overnight that they will dump vet signings they just committed to last year or Sullivan favorites for anything less than value+ -- agreed.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah I was just reading this. Even weirder.

I also didn't realize how underwhelming McLeod's numbers were. For some reason I thought he had been more productive.

Still a good player but man... unless you are a win-now team with a very, very specific need for a player like McLeod I guess I just don't get it. And Buffalo ain't that. Savoie might be a bit of a lottery ticket at this point still but I think it's still a gamble most people would be more than willing to take.

He’s pretty productive for the amount of time he gets. 27 even strength points in about 12:30 EV minutes per night (14:15mins total per game).

He’ll probably get 16-18 mins a night in Buffalo.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He’s pretty productive for the amount of time he gets. 27 even strength points in about 12:30 EV minutes per night (14:15mins total per game).

He’ll probably get 16-18 mins a night in Buffalo.

Yeah that isn't bad it's just... extremely OK ya know?

I feel like every team could dig up a guy in that ballpark. Maybe not a 24 year old with the possibility of doing more but still.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
McLeod made me confuse him with McDavid on a few shifts with how fast he is. But he's sorta vanilla.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah that isn't bad it's just... extremely OK ya know?

I feel like every team could dig up a guy in that ballpark. Maybe not a 24 year old with the possibility of doing more but still.

Yeah not someone you trade a top prospect for.

If Vegas did it I might trust the thinking but it’s Buffalo.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

On paper, that trade seems nonsensical for the Sabres. Trade away your best prospect (with high offensive ceiling) for a guy who looks like he'll top out as a 3C?

Also, Savoie should have been someone Dubas was all over if he was known to be available. That's the type of prospect you inject into a prospect pool if you want to "rebuild on the fly" with a potential homerun in your system.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Here’s something to stir the pot. Edm was able to get Buffalo best prospect for McLeod. Dubas got Carolina’s 5th best prospect for Jake Guentzel. Just makes you think. Maybe Doobie really valued Bunting in that trade or something.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
On paper, that trade seems nonsensical for the Sabres. Trade away your best prospect (with high offensive ceiling) for a guy who looks like he'll top out as a 3C?

Also, Savoie should have been someone Dubas was all over if he was known to be available. That's the type of prospect you inject into a prospect pool if you want to "rebuild on the fly" with a potential homerun in your system.

The Penguins would not be willing to part with any players that would have started the conversation. Regardless of what Dubas says.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean, would anyone on here be happy if the Pens traded Yager for Ryan McLeod? That's essentially what Buffalo did. I just don't get it for a team that's trying to become good.

Might be a trade that a Cup favorite makes at the TDL if they really need to shore up their bottom six and PK and are willing to overpay, but it seems opposite of what a rebuilding team would do.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, would anyone on here be happy if the Pens traded Yager for Ryan McLeod? That's essentially what Buffalo did. I just don't get it for a team that's trying to become good.

Might be a trade that a Cup favorite makes at the TDL if they really need to shore up their bottom six and PK and are willing to overpay, but it seems opposite of what a rebuilding team would do.

I'm sure @Empoleon8771, @SEALBound and @Turin would convince us it was good and great work by Kyle Dubas.

Reactions: Pens x

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Here’s something to stir the pot. Edm was able to get Buffalo best prospect for McLeod. Dubas got Carolina’s 5th best prospect for Jake Guentzel. Just makes you think. Maybe Doobie really valued Bunting in that trade or something.
Yeh, it’s quite surprising given how similar the two situations are

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
It's a larger conversation about Kyle Dubas not being good at trading.
The Smith and Hayes trades are fine, we got 2 2nds from that but I mean it seems like once Bunting was brought up in the Guentzel trade package, he zeroed in on him because of a stupid past connection. I have no doubt in my mind we could’ve gotten 1st+top prospect for Guentzel considering how many teams were said to be interested.

I’m still trying to be positive about the Doobler but it’s starting to fade quickly with this half ass approach atm.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dubas’ answer about the goalies entering UFA was weird. If he’s not trying to move Jarry, I’m not convinced he’s not trying to have him assassinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad