GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yo I just realized the Sharks had a better powerplay than us last season.

f***ing el oh el.

Only the BJ’s & the Flyers were worse

IMG_0056.jpeg

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Think it's speculation on 2 things, the tough negotiations of his last rfa signing. And verbeek likes big defensive minded players. From my understanding.

Yep like a lot of young players working on the defensive game is secondary and they focus offensively.

Negotiations was difficult and they have a lot of young forwards.

They probably would be looking for a young defensemen as the ideal but I don't know if Anaheim would want to add as I feel the young D would be worth more.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Counterpoint: defense is boring and for nerds.
i wish we were all balls no walls, like if every game was 7-6, that would be amazing. Being unable to play offense or defense is not as exciting. I was an awkward kid growing up, i know what it's like to get my ass kicked repeatedly, i don't need the Penguins to do performance art for me

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Counterpoint: defense is boring and for nerds.
As a need too much is definitely boring.

If the only objective of a player is to not score and to stop scoring. They shouldn't be in the NHL. Harkins for example.

If you are playing 20 minutes a night and are constantly being out scored that's a problem.

I will mention I really thought we were going to open things up when we brought Karlsson in. Holy smokes did he get sullied.

Speaking of offense being fun

Trade Graves to a team that still needs a LD.
Probably not many left. I'd give like a 6th or 7th rounder

Trade Laine for Accairi

Roll the dice.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
i wish we were all balls no walls, like if every game was 7-6, that would be amazing. Being unable to play offense or defense is not as exciting. I was an awkward kid growing up, i know what it's like to get my ass kicked repeatedly, i don't need the Penguins to do performance art for me

Yeah honestly I hate grinding, overcoached, dull hockey that basically amounts to a buncha grab-ass in the NZ all game and a puck deflecting off like three players before trickling in for the 2-1 winner. But if the Penguins could do that they at least would illustrate they are capable of playing SOME kind of hockey. As it stands it's like a bunch of confused guys all with individual and half-formed ideas on how they are going to play the game and a coach on the bench more concerned with getting his favorite boys plum opportunities to show all those mean fans the truth about Harkins' killer shot before facing the media after the loss and talking about all the goals that SHOULDA been scored.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I will mention I really thought we were going to open things up when we brought Karlsson in. Holy smokes did he get sullied.

Same. And in retrospect it was so unbelievably stupid of me to be legit excited about that trade. EK being a favorite of mine in this league since that Pitt/Ottawa series years back. But as soon as Sullivan started talking about "coaching up" a 34 year old defenseman who just turned in a 100+ point season playing HIS game I knew the season was f***ed. Dude just can't help himself. He's gotta be the brightest, most special boy in the room and his way is the only way for every player no matter what their game is. Nevermind the fact that Sullivan's way hasn't borne fruit for going on a decade.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Only the BJ’s & the Flyers were worse

View attachment 892266

Metro clearly has some killer PK's to have the three bottom dwellers there. Our management is lobbying the league to change divisions rather than changing strategy on the PP.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is this the most boring off season the Pens have had in years? Feels like it is. Just nothing exciting at all.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. But oof
yeah there's no energy or excitement. I guess that's to be expected, but this is the first time we entered July and no one gave a f*** about the Penguins or what they were gonna do. Far cry from the years where our organization defined UFA/TDL days

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is this the most boring off season the Pens have had in years? Feels like it is. Just nothing exciting at all.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. But oof

I've been told this is very cool and very necessary so I'm just basking in the warm glow of "the rebuild."

...until the team dishes a first for Zegras or something in a few days and you guys all change your mind again.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
This upcoming season feels like they are just gonna see what happens. I can actually see a scenario where the penguins are in a comfortable situation where it looks like they are likely to make the playoffs and do a similar thing to what the capitals did last deadline where they were still sellers despite sneaking in. I would definitely not try to trade a first rounder or top prospect but Dubas body language and quotes sounds like he’s already taking a year off so to speak… which would have been fine 10 years ago but the core’s not getting any younger.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I mean, nobody's gonna mistake me for being optimistic for years, but this is the first time since Sid's been a Penguin that things feel genuinely different as far as the direction of the team goes and expectations. :laugh:

Yeah, it's totally rad to acquire Kevin Hayes and 2nd round picks while also trading our best trade asset for Michael Bunting within the last few months.

Great direction...

I've been told this is very cool and very necessary so I'm just basking in the warm glow of "the rebuild."

...until the team dishes a first for Zegras or something in a few days and you guys all change your mind again.

Well you see. Zegras is 23, so if we trade for him it helps us with the rebuild, because of reasons.

Just like re-signing Pettersson makes sense, because we are still trying to compete and need someone to eat the minutes. That's what rebuilding teams do. They don't sell everyone!

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I feel this season will be better for Karlsson as well… I think he was constantly looking at the big 3 to deviate to instead of doing what he’s done his entire career where he’d go eff it I’ll do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad