GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just looking at what everyone else did and what we did…yikes. Looking like a for sure lottery team next season.

HFPens when a rebuilding team makes rebuilding moves

Black-guy-surprised-meme-8.jpg

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Means absolutely nothing. Sid's probably on vacation.
He'll probably sign it during development camp. I believe he shows up for those. July 6 through 10th I believe?
Think I read he was in Pittsburgh on July 1st. Skating at the practice rink. Could be wrong.

I think the extension gets done either next week or announced on 08/07 for his birthday.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Rakell was a center in his rookie year in Anaheim, to my knowledge he hasn’t played there since.

People may want to say otherwise, but him not immediately signing on July 1 says something.
I believe he was traveling in Europe. Let's waif and see. Again I am open to a trade at the deadline.

Lol Tarasenko ended up with the Wings.
Besides the letter sent with saying we signed Tank I am perfectly fine not signing him.

I think that cap space can be used as a weapon and facilitate trades mid season and get assets.

I’m shocked that leak emoji email wasn’t true.

We will see.

Beauvillier + Gryz = 4 million.

Tarasenko = 4.75 mil.

Makes you think.

Beau could be waived and we could sign Tarasenko for over 4.75. Not worried.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I honestly don't think there's a chance in hell Sid doesn't sign. The delay is probably him deciding how long he wants to stick around with this flaming wreckage of an organization before retiring. He probably wants to play until he's 40+ but that'll mean either playing for an absolute bottom feeder or playing somewhere else--neither option seems like something he'd enjoy, but I think the latter is probably as close to an impossibility as is realistic without reaching legit zero. Dude's a psychotic creature of habit, he's not gonna break up his routine and pick up everything to play somewhere else for the final couple of years as an NHLer.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
HFPens when a rebuilding team makes rebuilding moves

View attachment 891994

A quick look at our commitment this year and deals tells the story.

Last year Dubas said okay Sully Here you go I loaded up. We fell short.

Cap space for now. Maybe we can get another draft pick with it.

I really hate how we only have 1 slot for retention left.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guaranteed it was a 1 year offer and he played that into a 2 somewhere. We didn’t need to go beyond 1 for him, IMO.

Yeah this is exactly it, the Penguins definitely offered him a 1 year deal with the plan of likely trading him at the deadline. No way Tarasenko would turn down 2 years for a 1 year deal to play with a rebuilding team.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rakell was a center in his rookie year in Anaheim, to my knowledge he hasn’t played there since.

People may want to say otherwise, but him not immediately signing on July 1 says something.
Not necessarily. His last deal was signed on July 1st, but the deal he signed after his ELC was signed July 7th. So if this drags into August, it might be an indication of something. Otherwise, he might just be hungover from the Canada Day weekend.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Think I read he was in Pittsburgh on July 1st. Skating at the practice rink. Could be wrong.

I think the extension gets done either next week or announced on 08/07 for his birthday.
I can see it announced during camp when they can get their PR peeps there, Dubas, any other higher ups that want to feel important.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've had such high hope for at least the past 5 off seasons, only to see our GM wimp out for status quo. Not sure what would excite anyone with a brain for next years team.
I haven't had high hopes since around the bubble season. I just stick around hoping that the club will surprise me and do something positive, but fully expecting them to double down on the dumb stuff they keep doing.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
so what do peeps think about gretzky? is he a forever oiler or is his legacy there tarnished because he left? how about ray borque going to colorado for a cup, i don't think anyone thinks of him as anything other then a bruin. personally i think that's over blown these days, it might mean a lot to the player I get that But fan wise I wouldn't think anything less of Sid if he went somewhere else, I actually would admire him more for that because he could play meaningful hockey and he could greatly aid our team by the bounty that would come in even at this age for him.
I've talked to people of all sorts of opinions. A lot more broad of opinions good to bad about Borque than Gretzky. One Gretzky was traded away so that changes the one team narrative around Gretzky for most people. I think people only look negatively at his time in St. Louis/New York if they stand within that camp. With Ray over the years I have met people who everything from applaud him to outright view his time chasing rings with hard asterisk and barely count it. Myself I would put any player that plays for only one team his whole career over a play that played for multiple teams when you rack and stack an entire career. But I don't look at it negatively at the person. More than the later puts you over the top of people that have not played for one team. Others. I am not going to defend or condemn their opinions, I was only bringing up the concept of the legacy of only playing for one team. And I would be shocked if that is not a conversation Mario and Sid have had together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad